BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
zorant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Infiniti EX35

31) Ability to lower back seats from the trunk area (either mechanically or electronically).

My Infiniti EX35 even has switches in the center console to electronically raise and lock the back seats (32?). Good if you pull up somewhere and lift the hatch for someone to quickly get something long out the back, then they hit the button to close the hatch and you can hit the switch(es) to raise the seats without getting out the vehicle.

32) Reclining (and sliding?) back seats.
An enviable feature on my sister's 2010 RX 350.

And I strongly agree with a more a la carte approach to options over packages (where possible).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorant View Post
31) Ability to lower back seats from the trunk area (either mechanically or electronically).

My Infiniti EX35 even has switches in the center console to electronically raise and lock the back seats (32?). Good if you pull up somewhere and lift the hatch for someone to quickly get something long out the back, then they hit the button to close the hatch and you can hit the switch(es) to raise the seats without getting out the vehicle.

32) Reclining (and sliding?) back seats.
An enviable feature on my sister's 2010 RX 350.

And I strongly agree with a more a la carte approach to options over packages (where possible).
Welcome to the BMW X3 forum, Zorant! We have owned vehicles from those production teams, and they have in the past offered items (most often tech/internal cabin-oriented) which the European teams have been slower to embrace. But it does seem that times are changing in that regards, and it appears some of the European Mnfrs are now spending more time looking at ways in which to make the 'cabin experience' more responsive to its occupants while still forging new ground in automotive engineering areas (performance, handling, aerodynamics).

I recall the number of discussions I've held with colleagues/friends wondering why I enjoy owning BMWs. Comments as, 'Well, my car has Bluetooth and can do this and that, too'. Or, as you indicated, the attention to the interior cabin functionality and how it can make life easier for its occupants (in all situations).

But when it comes down to performance, handling, control, stability, we've always come back to BMW. The market and environment has changed, though, so it would seem BMW probably has Divisions now focusing on these aspects, adding icing to the sound engineering base they have had for many years.

Competition at its best, and we are able to enjoy the benefits.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #25
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraLvr335i View Post
How about one of the bigger diesels here in the US?
+1
      07-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
...So, no thanks on the X5 offer, I'll stick with the X3.
LOL thanks for the in depth reply.

I'm acknowledging that in choosing the 35d that's the heaviest of the lot. Dynamically any extra weight is simply unnecessary, so if you can get them to fit a quad exhaust without compromising the weight and feel of the thing then 'fill ya boots' as I'm more a functional person than cosmetic.
      07-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
For the love of all F25 owners out there and future G01 owners...PLEASE build us a true M version.
An X3M will take care of 90% of the wish list.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

the current Msport steering wheel that you can find in the other BMW models!!!
      07-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #29
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
For the love of all F25 owners out there and future G01 owners...PLEASE build us a true M version.
An X3M will take care of 90% of the wish list.
Scott mentioned they are going to bring a true M, in addition to a plug-in hybrid and a special X3 Li variant for the Chinese market (in his 29 Jun 2014 0653 PM G01 intro), if I'm interpreting his comment correctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It seems only just a few weeks since the LCi of the BMW X3 has just hit the market that now the discussion is on the G01 the replacement for the X3 which will launch in just over 3 years in 2017 …

Based upon the upcoming new modular matrix , the X3 will bring exceptional weight reduction to the segment, will finally arrive in full M model over an eDrive plug-in hybrid and for the first time an X3 Li designed for the Chinese market. It will be continued to be built in Spartanburg in South Carolina.
The home of the BMW SAV. …
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #30
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
the current Msport steering wheel that you can find in the other BMW models!!!
I'm not sure how to number this in the list for Scott, cooldude? Is it that you wish to be able to order the M Sport steering wheel that we currently can receive in our X3s if we order the M Sport package if you don't order M Sport, or do you want the ability to cross to different series lines and order their steering wheels? If the former, then that does fit into the desire to order 'individual items versus the current packages approach', as Pitiful Old Man suggested [#29]. If the latter, that would be a new number.

33. When the rear seats are lowered, allow them to be flat plane. When I mentioned in an earlier thread that our 55" TV we were transporting vertically without a box fit fine - well it did, but because of the up-angle of the rear seat backs when lowered, it minimized the vertical distance needed. We were able to angle it (because we had enough horizontal distance to maneuver), but a flat surface plane would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #31
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

34. Sun Visors with internal extension capability [I have been forgetting to add this - drove South early this morning, sun shown into left-side of head and face for an hour through the side window portion not covered by the visor. Distracting at best, so held a baseball cap to block the light until direction of travel changed the sun's angle. One of our Asian Mnfr'd cars 10 years ago had these then - used it often. Light, inexpensive, simple technology, can be thin - can't think of a downside]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #32
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Individual Composition as an Option?

While working on the 'Horsepower and Speed' project, the 550i drew my attention for what its aerodynamics and power would theoretically allow (if not limited). Just to see what one would cost, I 'built' one on the bmwusa site, and while doing so, noted those folks have the option of choosing 'BMW Individual Composition' for USD 6,100 ["BMW Individual reflects your own unique personality with a collection of exclusive paints, leathers and trims taking your vehicle to all-new heights of quality and luxury"].

As it seems a fair number of threads lament the fact that other manufacturers' products in our X3 genre seem to have 'higher quality' fit and finish than our X3, especially with the interior, the option of being able to upgrade to higher end for those who wish such would seem to make sense. Alot of us choose the X3 because it perfectly fits the size and load requirements we want, not just because we can't afford the X5. Especially with the X3 xDr40i and X3 M arriving, the bar is being elevated so that it would seem the X3 has matured to the point of at least offering this possibility. So I now include:

35. Offer the 'BMW Individual Composition' as an optional package
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #33
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

35. Offer the 'BMW Individual Composition' as an optional package
We visited the BMW Welt in Munich last year... there was a special section (cordoned off from mere minions) where you could meet a "designer" and work through you options for this "package".
Clearly aimed at the higher end models but an interesting idea... I think Alpina offer something similar.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 08-25-2014 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: spell error
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #34
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
We visited the BMW Welt in Munich last year... there was a special section (cordoned off from mere minions) where you could meet a "designer" and work through you options for this "package".
Clearly aimed at the higher end models but an interesting idea... I think Alpina off something similar.
As I did with the 550i, I also built the Alpina version of the X3 - with met paint, Nevada leather, HK sound, Garage door opener, backup camera, and surround view, came to €74,750 (if my math is correct, that is roughly USD 100,000). It seems that is a different echelon aimed at the ultra-high-end auto enthusiast who also has such money to spend. I'm not in that rarefied air but am happy for those able to afford such.

With all of the buzz about some of the other Mnfrs' products, just enabling a segment of our X3 market to upgrade "to all-new heights of quality and luxury" for a mere fraction of the Alpina price (and still less than some of the other brands' offerings), it would seem to be a wise financial decision by BMW. I wonder how many have switched out of the X3, not because of its handling and performance, but for this reason alone?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #35
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

36. Identify cause of 'throttle/acceleration lag' noted by some in both 28i and 35i variants since 2011, and insure etiology has been rectified and no longer an issue in the G01.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #36
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

37) Air suspension option...like a Macan
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #37
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Comfort seats like the ones in the X5 - I doubt this will happen but they are so great. Apart from that the X3 is pretty much perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
37) Air suspension option...like a Macan
That is an interesting concept. It seems clear potential aerodynamic improvements at highway speeds occur when suspensions are lowered which would even add to BMW's engineering accomplishments with the blades, curtains, and breathers.

From http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...l-economy.html - under 'How Automakers Improve Aerodynamics heading' - 'Active ride height that lowers the vehicle at speed, which Ford employed on the Lincoln Mark VIII and which appears on Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Airmatic suspensions. According to Mercedes, "Lowering the ride height at speed results in a 3-percent improvement in drag."'

From the Lexus.eu site - "With the air suspension option, the RX will even lower itself to improve aerodynamics further at higher speeds. Indeed, the RX can hold its own with most sedans; it boasts an incredibly low drag coefficient of just Cd 0.32 – the lowest in this class of vehicle."

Given the amount of highway driving we do, that would certainly be attractive.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #39
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetcs View Post
8. Shorter order to delivery time in Europe (it could be one month only )
I'd settle for three months!! maybe better get an order in for the G01 LCI now!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #40
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianlad View Post
I'd settle for three months!! maybe better get an order in for the G01 LCI now!
+1, I think this is one of the biggest concerns. I already gave up once on X5 because of long wait times, and almost gave up now on X3 for the same reason. They should find a way to work doubletime on existing factories when needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #41
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

In regards to the ongoing thread, 'Replacing the Interior Lights', which has garnered over 5,400 views in a few years, and which just re-appeared, it does seem the BMW Interior Design team could improve on this aspect.

Frankly, I have just taken for granted in our 2011, 2012, and our 2015 X3s when dark lighting conditions occur, I have to have a flashlight available. So one is positioned in the front left door anterior compartment, one in the glove compartment, and one in the trunk storage region. But it should not have to be so, and it should not be an option, not with the low tech and energy drain requirements.

This could be a rather straightforward design project for a Junior Lighting Designer it would seem. Place our X3s in dark lighting conditions to determine how one can improve LED lighting within the interior confines to not require flashlights.

38. Enhance the interior lighting environment (including the rear storage area) with bright LED lights to negate the need for hand-held lighting to accomplish tasks.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #42
RaslDasl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive35i

39. Better airflow from outer dash vents.
40. Extendible thigh bolsters on non-sport seats. Some of us don't fit well between the side bolsters on the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #43
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

A much better range of colours please
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #44
ASHpro
The General*****
Canada
Rep
Drives: M440xi GC Snapper Rocks Blue

41. Allow the M package on the edrive and quad tips available. It drives me nuts that the macan S has quads and we don't! I love the look but don't need the power. I may get an M for the quads and proper sounding exhaust.
Appreciate 0