BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

BMW X3 28i Enzotuned w/ Custom DP vs. X3 35i on Hwy

Here is a video of 2 runs from this weekend before the BMW event we went to. Take a look at how the 35i engine just walks the Enzo. But keep in mind, the 28i is factory set to a 17 Psi Boost pressure for the turbo. Enzo raised it to 20 psi, which you see here, 20 is not enough. ROBNYC will be raising it to 21 or 22 and we will go at it again on the hwy. Hopefully the Enzo can keep up with me next time.

In this Video by the way, we switched cars. So Rob was in the 35i X3

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 09-08-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Good video! Test drove a X4 with N20 weeks ago. It is a great motor around town (where the N55 feels a bit lazy to me), but the power gap to the n55 is quite noticeable at highway speed. I guess the 50% difference in displacement is pretty hard to compensate...

BTW, the X4 i test drove has msport but no DHP. I don't think the handling is that good, same tippy feeling as X3. To me the benefit of better handling is too small compared to the loss of practicality.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5
Here is a video from this weekend before the BMW event we went to. Take a look at how the 35i engine just walks the Enzo. But keep in mind, the 28i is factory set to a 17 Psi Boost pressure for the turbo. Enzo raised it to 20 psi, which you see here, 20 is not enough. ROBNYC will be raising it to 21 or 22 and we will go at it again on the hwy. Hopefully the Enzo can keep up with me next time.

Exhaust needs to be louder. Things are to quiet.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
Good video! Test drove a X4 with N20 weeks ago. It is a great motor around town (where the N55 feels a bit lazy to me), but the power gap to the n55 is quite noticeable at highway speed. I guess the 50% difference in displacement is pretty hard to compensate...

BTW, the X4 i test drove has msport but no DHP. I don't think the handling is that good, same tippy feeling as X3. To me the benefit of better handling is too small compared to the loss of practicality.

The 35i engine is only "lazy" when it's shifting from 7th or 8th gear down to 2nd and 3rd. To prevent this, I always use Manual mode for downshifting, or I use Sport Plus and DS, stomp on the pedal once to bring you to the lowest (best) gear, then press again and hold for full out acceleration. It just takes some getting used to. The 28i engine sucks in these smaller SAV's unless it's tuned to perfection. Plus with DHP, there is very little body roll with the X4 and the X3. M Sport only adds M suspension and special effects plus and performance control, DHP really changes things around. Have a good one Bro!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
On which engine, the 28i?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

I took a look at your stock runs at Island again, Crash, and your 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times follow the slope of the sim 35i's curve quite well across that entire speed range, even into the higher end.

Rob's and jamoka3's stock runs also appear to follow their respective sim's curve fairly well, but their tuned runs seem to show the performance falling off at the higher end of the range. They have different modifications but they both show that trend at the high end (drifting off the slope of the curve). I'm not sure what speed range your video shared, but if at the higher end this 'fall-off' may be contributing as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
On which engine, the 28i?
In general. X3s are to quiet.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Who thinks Camera Crashnbrn5 wasn't going full WOT lol ?

Max Well agreed with you, I didn't get to test RaceChip at the higher more aggressive maps where the N20 X3 28i can match the X3 35i stock on a 0-60 run but after that the 35i over takes..

Cant wait for the drag-strip again.

Last edited by FSociety; 09-08-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
Who thinks Camera Crashnbrn5 wasn't going full WOT lol ?

Max Well agreed with you, I didn't get to test RaceChip at the higher more aggressive maps where the N20 X3 28i can match the X3 35i stock on a 0-60 run but after that the 35i over takes..

Cant wait for the drag-strip again.
Full out plus my body motion pushing forward didn't help. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
educated_layman
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Here is a video of 2 runs from this weekend before the BMW event we went to. Take a look at how the 35i engine just walks the Enzo. But keep in mind, the 28i is factory set to a 17 Psi Boost pressure for the turbo. Enzo raised it to 20 psi, which you see here, 20 is not enough. ROBNYC will be raising it to 21 or 22 and we will go at it again on the hwy. Hopefully the Enzo can keep up with me next time.

Racing cars on Route 18* in Sayreville, NJ is stereotypical little-dick behavior. Go to the track. The only thing about this video that doesn't suck is that it provides some anecdotal evidence of my belief that most car modding is less about performance than making the owner feel better about himself and his car.

*Or Route 9. Whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by educated_layman View Post
Racing cars on Route 18* in Sayreville, NJ is stereotypical little-dick behavior. Go to the track. The only thing about this video that doesn't suck is that it provides some anecdotal evidence of my belief that most car modding is less about performance than making the owner feel better about himself and his car.

*Or Route 9. Whatever.
+1

Take it to the track.

Seems like when you factor in the cost/effort of modding a 2.8i, you should have just spent the cash up front and purchased a 3.5i.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by educated_layman
Quote:

*Or Route 9. Whatever.
Yes caption!! Lol. We never even went fast plus it was very early in the morning. Go play with your new grand kids or something. Too funny these ppl on here. Go make a name for yourself on here before you start preaching to the choir
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:

*Or Route 9. Whatever.
+1

Take it to the track.

Seems like when you factor in the cost/effort of modding a 2.8i, you should have just spent the cash up front and purchased a 3.5i.
It was an inexpensive tune about a $1100 (excluding down pipes) according to my friend using a group buy. I have the 35i engine and the Enzo really wakes the little 4 up even at 20psi. Going to 22psi should be interesting because it should put it right next to the 35i. So to prove your statement wrong, financially it's pretty worth it, especially if you want great MPG's as well...plus it's not like the 35i engine is only 2k more, its about 4k. And YES we will test it on a street. Not a track... We do things smart, in pretty quiet areas, early in the morning. As you see what I said to the above grandpa.... So please relax. Yeahh let's rent a track so we can test 2 SAV's 0-60 times.... Lol ,Some ppl have the luxury of a track 20 min away that are cheap. We are city dwellers and we do things OUR way without putting anyone in danger sir. Plus we've been to the track numerous times.

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 09-09-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
educated_layman
Rep

Quote:
Yes caption!! Lol. We never even went fast plus it was very early in the morning. Go play with your new grand kids or something. Too funny these ppl on here. Go make a name for yourself on here before you start preaching to the choir
Your driving is almost as weak as your command of common English idioms.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
Howie Dub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

Quote:

*Or Route 9. Whatever.
There's no need to criticize someone on a forum for doing something you don't approve of. We're adults and will deal with any consequences from our actions. We know that going to a track is the safest way to test our cars. Unfortunately, many of us can't just hop over to a track when we want to. We're here to help each other and share our experiences with our cars. If you don't like it, great, please keep it to yourself and move along.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #16
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Dub View Post
There's no need to criticize someone on a forum for doing something you don't approve of. We're adults and will deal with any consequences from our actions. We know that going to a track is the safest way to test our cars. Unfortunately, many of us can't just hop over to a track when we want to. We're here to help each other and share our experiences with our cars. If you don't like it, great, please keep it to yourself and move along.
"There's no need to criticize... for doing something you don't approve of". How about criticizing someone for doing something reckless, dangerous to others, and clearly illegal?

Did you watch the same video we all watched? Pay particular attention at ~0:10. This isn't an empty road. There's a decent amount of traffic. The driver of the 3.5 had to switch lane in the middle of his "race" in order to avoid hitting another vehicle ahead of him.

Yeah, "many of us can't just hop over to the track when we want to". That sounds it is OUR problem. Let's not make OUR problem someone else's problem by subjecting non-participants to the risks of street racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
educated_layman
Rep

Quote:
There's no need to criticize someone on a forum for doing something you don't approve of.
You're right about that; there's really no need to do anything, is there? And yet, despite that fact, I chose to do something.

Is it your opinion that praise and technical support/advice are permissible activities on this message board, while criticism is to be avoided at all costs? That does not seem like a logically defensible position.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
Howie Dub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
"There's no need to criticize... for doing something you don't approve of". How about criticizing someone for doing something reckless, dangerous to others, and clearly illegal?

Did you watch the same video we all watched? Pay particular attention at ~0:10. This isn't an empty road. There's a decent amount of traffic. The driver of the 3.5 had to switch lane in the middle of his "race" in order to avoid hitting another vehicle ahead of him.

Yeah, "many of us can't just hop over to the track when we want to". That sounds it is OUR problem. Let's not make OUR problem someone else's problem by subjecting non-participants to the risks of street racing.
Not saying I would have done the same, but I've seen much worse here in LA than what was on that video. They were a lot more controlled than many drivers here. At least they're paying attention to the road. I'd be more worried about the drivers texting and talking on the phone. I look at the video for what it is - showcasing how an Enzo tuned 28i compares to a stock 35i, not something I can impart my moral judgment on. We've all done something illegal while driving, so who are we to judge? If you want to be safer, take the bus.

Quote:
You're right about that; there's really no need to do anything, is there? And yet, despite that fact, I chose to do something.

Is it your opinion that praise and technical support/advice are permissible activities on this message board, while criticism is to be avoided at all costs? That does not seem like a logically defensible position.
We're going off topic, but there's not much you can do in a forum like this. If you really wanted to do something other than piss people off, then maybe saying someone has stereotypical little dick behavior isn't the best way. Perhaps a bit more tact would have worked. You're free to say what you want, but I've found constructive criticism to be more effective than being oppositional and offensive. Feel free to respond, but I couldn't care less with anything else you'll want to say and don't want to go any more off topic.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #19
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

Not saying I would have done the same, but I've seen much worse here in LA than what was on that video. They were a lot more controlled than many drivers here. At least they're paying attention to the road. I'd be more worried about the drivers texting and talking on the phone. I look at the video for what it is - showcasing how an Enzo tuned 28i compares to a stock 35i, not something I can impart my moral judgment on. We've all done something illegal while driving, so who are we to judge? If you want to be safer, take the bus.

Quote:

We're going off topic, but there's not much you can do in a forum like this. If you really wanted to do something other than piss people off, then maybe saying someone has stereotypical little dick behavior isn't the best way. Perhaps a bit more tact would have worked. You're free to say what you want, but I've found constructive criticism to be more effective than being oppositional and offensive. Feel free to respond, but I couldn't care less with anything else you'll want to say and don't want to go any more off topic.
Thanks for the respect brother.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

What is the deal with these tunes when it comes to warranty work?

Has anyone tried to go into a bmw dealer to get warranty work done after getting one of these tunes?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
Howie Dub
Enlisted Member
Rep

ROBNYC, can you put the RC on top of the Enzotune like you can with the MPPK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
What is the deal with these tunes when it comes to warranty work?

Has anyone tried to go into a bmw dealer to get warranty work done after getting one of these tunes?
I'm guessing it would depend on the dealer. Some are more mod friendly than others. Supposedly this tune in undetectable.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
ROBNYC, can you put the RC on top of the Enzotune like you can with the MPPK?

I'm guessing it would depend on the dealer. Some are more mod friendly than others. Supposedly this tune in undetectable.
I could but I don't think I need to at this point, the RC and ECU Flash are better than MPPK.

The RC makes sense over the MPPK, but ECU Flash takes care of power of a piggyback.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0