BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
yhbae
Rep
Drives: X3

Should I be concerned about purchasing X3 Xdrive28d?

I've been reading just about all articles I can find about the Dieselgate but still unsure about this.

I've factory ordered this model and I plan to keep it for around 4-5 years. Should I be concerned about this at all? I guess once I have this car in my hand, it should stay street-legal, correct? I hear EPA is tightening their tests. Canadian X3 diesel uses DEF system, does this mean we are safe?

Also, any significant residual value drop possibility as a result of the VW scandal? Apparently, there's already 6-7% drop in used VW diesel models.

6 weeks left from the delivery date...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

For what my opinion is worth you have nothing to worry about.

As you say the NA-spec 28d uses the adblue urea addition to control its NOx emissions. You've got to remember that going back to the study by the West Virginia University that started this whole "dieselgate" issue that at the time they tested three vehicles - two VW and a BMW X5 diesel. While the two VWs (one of which also had the urea injection treatment) failed the real life on-road test, the BMW passed. As we now know the primary reason why the two VWs failed the on-road test was that they had a software switch which turned off their emissions control in normal road driving. This is not the case with BMW and there has been no substantiated allegations against BMW cheating on their emissions controls.

Even if further down the track the authorities decide to tighten emissions standards that will only apply to cars from some future date - they can't retrospectively apply tighter standards to existing cars.

Future resale is another matter. Yes I do believe there will be a knock-on effect on resale across all diesel vehicles. However I do think - IMHO - that this will be only in the short term. In time once people more fully understand that this was totally a VW thing only, and get the message that BMW have always played by the rules (even if it meant adding the extra cost of the urea injection system to their NA-spec cars), that resale of diesels should recover - at least for non-VW/Audi diesel cars.

Just my thoughts

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
yhbae
Rep

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sort of in line with your opinion as well from what I've gathered so far. The only thing that stuck out so far is that although it wasn't a proper test, I do recall someone testing the X3 that also failed the informal "test", while the X5 passed. I assume the X5 passed because it implemented the DEF system but this "failed" X3 - is it the version that uses DEF or not? My understanding is that the Euro version of X3 does not use this, which explains why this test failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sort of in line with your opinion as well from what I've gathered so far. The only thing that stuck out so far is that although it wasn't a proper test, I do recall someone testing the X3 that also failed the informal "test", while the X5 passed. I assume the X5 passed because it implemented the DEF system but this "failed" X3 - is it the version that uses DEF or not? My understanding is that the Euro version of X3 does not use this, which explains why this test failed.
The test you talk about was on an X3 2.0d and the statement was withdrawn because it was "without foundation".
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
yhbae
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
The test you talk about was on an X3 2.0d and the statement was withdrawn because it was "without foundation".
Did that model use urea injection just out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
Did that model use urea injection just out of curiosity?
Not to my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
yhbae
Rep

If that's the case, I feel more comfortable now...

Thank you!
Appreciate 0