BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Water Leak in X3

So, was at the lake this weekend. X3 was parked outside in one of the lots during the 2 days of solid rain we have had in the TN/KY area. Came out to the X3 to leave the lake, and noticed a small pool of standing water in the passenger mat (rubber). Pulled the mat up, and the carpet underneath was soaked. Door was shut all the way (car wouldn't have locked otherwise). Traced the leak to somewhere in the A-Pillar. There is a seam where the interior A-pillar trim meets the headliner and this was damp to the touch. Looks like it ran down the A-pillar and forward gap of the passenger door, down into the carpet. I have no clue how the water got inside. It didn't enter through the window, as there is no water inside the window or on the door itself. I am tempted to say it entered where the roof rails meet the A-pillar, one of those seams, and worked its way inside the A-pillar down into the mat. Only place in the car with water inside. Looks like I will add this to the list when I take it in to get the passenger window regulator fixed....sigh.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
What a bunch of BS to deal with on a new vehicle! I don't even think this kind of crap happens with entry level vehicles and it certainly shouldn't happen on a 50k car. I LOVE my X3 but I have to say every day I get in it I wonder what might not work or is going to break. That shouldn't even be a thought with a brand new vehicle
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

This has happened to a couple of people. If I remember correctly, it's a bad hose fitting under the dash.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Hard to imagine how a "...bad hose fitting under the dash" could result in dampness "...where the interior A-pillar trim meets the headliner and this was damp to the touch". Although the puddle on the mat sounds like it could not have come from anywhere else.

Does the car have a sunroof?

Was it a humid day and were you using the A/C? Several people have reported disconnected A/C condensate hoses, and that hose does exit on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Capillary action from bad hose fitting (ie disconnected A/C condensate hoses). Consider the A pillar the Vadose zone.

Could have two separate problems.

Last edited by Radioactive; 09-05-2011 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
mtwow789
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2008

I had exact same thing happened to me.
I think it is a common problem for X3.
It is more noticeable when you park at a slope, where water can gather on the front.
It happens because there is a problem in the moon roof drainage.
You can go to BMW center and they can fix it in a day.
I took it and they had carpet dried and have the drainage fixed within one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Is there any way to know if this problem will be fixed for the 2012 models?

All the dealers I've talk to always deny the X3 has any bugs.
      09-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwow789 View Post
I had exact same thing happened to me.
I think it is a common problem for X3.
It is more noticeable when you park at a slope, where water can gather on the front.
It happens because there is a problem in the moon roof drainage.
You can go to BMW center and they can fix it in a day.
I took it and they had carpet dried and have the drainage fixed within one day.
This sounds like my problem. This isn't an issue with the AC drainage, as many have experienced, because the car had been sitting for 2 days in pouring rain. The moisture was definitely not present when we parked the car before the rain. My first thought was some sort of drainage issue from the moonroof/A-pillar. I will let you guys know if I get a resolution.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
...All the dealers I've talk to always deny the X3 has any bugs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Me too

After the deluge of 2011 here in the DC area my passenger footwell has the same f'ing issue. Between the headlamp control module, left brake light, windows that don't roll down or up properly my enthusiasm for the car is waning. Three months old.
      09-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
After the deluge of 2011 here in the DC area my passenger footwell has the same f'ing issue. Between the headlamp control module, left brake light, windows that don't roll down or up properly my enthusiasm for the car is waning. Three months old.
Well, I got a call from my dealership today. Said they couldn't replicate the water leakage and don't have any idea how the leak occurred. I've also got a dead passenger window, and the persistent vibration at 75 MPH. Oh, don't forget the wild RPMs at startup, Nav that refuses to load on occasion, and side folding mirrors that decide when they want to fold in or out. BMWNA might be getting a cordial phone call from me soon.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

TN_3, I'll post what the dealer finds once they've hacked away at the problem. I have an appointment for Tuesday morning...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

My car has been at the dealer for two days now - think I'll have it back tomorrow (flip side, new 535i as a loaner - nice car). Thus far the passenger floorboard water leak has been diagnosed as a problem with the passenger door not routing water properly. The mechanic performed a slow leak test and reported water was pooling in the door. Not knowing how the door drainage system is routed I can't offer much other than that. We'll see what clarification we find on the issue tomorrow. The technician is working with BMW NA to find the root cause/fix according to the service manager.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the update. I still have to take mine in when the window regulator gets here, so I may have them look at the door when they have the panels off.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Pretty invasive fix! 'A' for effort

Okay, after the big fix, here's what the Technician entered on the service documentation. I have not verified it is actually not leaking myself. If I never reply to this thread, assume this is solved! Interestingly, the bad vapor barrier is on the same door as the bad window regulator (not only a friday car but an angry robot...)

Here's what the 'fix' entailed:
"Vapor barrier on door leaking WC tech water tested vehicles for 15 minutes and found no water leaking into car visibly. Tech then removed A pillar kick panel, tech removed B pillar upper and lower trim covering and trim molding along floor to observe for leaks. Tech water tested vehicle for ten minutes second time and found no water entering vehicle. Tech did not feel water on surface of carpet, tech removed passenger seat and pulled up passenger carpet and found carpet wet in vehicle and found vapor barrier at front bottom corner was leaking water into vehicle. Tech replaced vapor barrier on passenger front door and retested. Water leak no longer present, tech replaced clips on door panel for new seals. Tech dried out carpet over night, tech reinstalled passenger carpet, seat, a pillar kick panel, b pillar upper and lower trim covering. Tech reinstalled door panel. Test drove vehicle."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, that is interesting. I also have the dead passenger window so I will have them look at the vapor barrier and insist that they replace it when they fix the regulator (which still hasn't come in).

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
luckynat323
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw x3

Exclamation water leakage

I had the same thing happen to me. The first time I took the car in, they said it was the passenger door seal. Two days later, I still had the same problem.
The second time, they found that it was a split in the A/C tube, and it was leaking directly into the cockpit!
Fortunately, they found the problem. Unfortunately, I think I am now having residual issues. A couple of days ago, I noticed that my car was slow to start. I checked over the car to make sure that there weren't any lights that were left on, and there wasn't. The car did not start after a couple of days. They tell me it's a defective battery, however I am worried that the water may have caused a short somewhere and is draining the battery.
Appreciate 0