BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
dgilson
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xDrive SE Auto

Rear spring failure

While replacing the rear pads and discs, (with the help of the excellent thread in this forum), I discovered that the right rear spring was broken. Vehicle is X3 20d xDrive SE auto, nearly 5 years old, with 73,000 miles. Just the bottom coil was broken, and the spring was still sitting happily in its seat. There was no apparent effect on the stance of the vehicle and I hadn’t noticed any effect on ride or handling. Or perhaps I’m just insensitive.

BMW parts quoted 126 GBpounds per spring, 24 for the rubber boot (which was deteriorated), and 17 for the upper and lower spring pads, which “we always replace”. BMW service advised that they “always replace both springs”. They estimated 3 to 4 hours labour, and it looks like the total bill would have been about 750 GBpounds.

One spring or two? There seemed to be no adverse effect from the broken spring, so it seems unlikely to me that one old spring and one new spring would cause any problems either. I’ve followed this philosophy when replacing rear springs on other vehicles, and not had cause to regret it. If the remaining old spring were to break, so be it, but chances are it won’t break.

The good guys at local workshop East Cornwall Garage, also recommended replacing both springs, but were happy to do just the one. In the event, they replaced the one spring and rubber boot (not the spring pads), and the total labour charge was just 90 GBpounds. The job does include removing rear trim to get at the shock-absorber upper mount.

I definitely can’t detect any effect, good or bad, from replacing the one spring. Anyone found differently?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I found the following advice:
"A broken coil spring must be replaced at once, and because springs wear at the same rate, they should be replaced in pairs only."

http://atlanticmotorcar.com/why-do-m...springs-break/

Whatever conditions caused your coil spring to fail may have also affected the life span of the spring on the other side. It may be prudent and long term less expensive to replace both the coil springs at the same time. It is possible that if the other spring breaks in a more catastrophic manner there may be additional damage to the associated tyre or it may contribute to an accident. For example, I had a spring fail while the car was in my garage and the wheel housing came to rest on the tyre.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-breaking.html

Last edited by MichiganMike; 04-20-2016 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilson View Post
I definitely can’t detect any effect, good or bad, from replacing the one spring. Anyone found differently?
It may be good practice to replace both springs, but not essential if a spring simply breaks. A different matter if springs are sagging, but the common mode of failure over here in the UK is premature failure. Usually due to hydrogen embrittlement, caused by the coating being damaged or deteriorating, moisture/road salt getting in and starting the corrosion process.

BTW, BMW won't replace both springs under warranty, if one fails, so mixed messages from BMW sources on replacing in pairs.

I've had a single spring replaced after a break, no difference in running the car or ride height. The only issue I had, was a year later the other front spring failed. Same issue a break while stood on the drive overnight, due to a hydrogen embrittlement induced failure.

The linked article explains the common failure mode.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-breaking.html

See sections on corrosion and hydrogen embrittlement.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Spring failure after 73.000 miles is uncommon - even in salt environment - probably specific problem on that spring - I would change that spring only.

When I planned to lower my car - H&R at £110 for all four, bought from Germany - I got an estimate from my BMW dealer of £700 (4,5 hours)- good independant shop charged £350 (4 hours).

During oct-dec, we have, primarily, southwesterly winds, bringing acid rain from somewhere in the southwest. Maybe you are close to that origin?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Spring failure after 73.000 miles is uncommon - even in salt environment - probably specific problem on that spring - I would change that spring only.
Both front springs on my E91 broke at less than 50k miles. My son's E83 X3 broke a rear coil (like the OP) between 40 - 50k miles.

We've had lots of springs break in the family, Highlands of Scotland doesn't help, wet and heavy salting in winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Pete, my experience from a car manufacturer selling also a fair amount of cars in Scotland, is that broken springs after so short time is unusual. If anything, it indicates BMW has a bad supplier or bad specification for the springs.

My 9000 has 270.000km on the clock - only major repairs are head gasket and clutch slave cylinder. Springs supplied by Swedish supplier.

In southwest of Sweden, where I live, people can`t drive, so lots of salt.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post

When I planned to lower my car - H&R at £110 for all four, bought from Germany - I got an estimate from my BMW dealer of £700 (4,5 hours)- good independant shop charged £350 (4 hours).

During oct-dec, we have, primarily, southwesterly winds, bringing acid rain from somewhere in the southwest. Maybe you are close to that origin?
Well we do get primarily South Westerlies - but I do think its more likely a single failure and it may have been done a long time previously too as you did not notice any difference?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:35 AM   #8
dgilson
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xDrive SE Auto

Some interesting replies. Thanks, guys.

But it’s striking that no one else reports a rear spring failure on the F25. By all accounts, the E83 X3 was prone to them. So either BMW have fixed the problem, or it’s early days as yet and we should expect a rash of failures as the worldwide fleet ages?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Will chime in here. Left rear coil on our 2011 broke after 70,000km / under 6 years old. Car was driven fairly conservatively by my dad.

Apparently the springs were different so they wouldn't take the take off springs from my 2013
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Replace BOTH !
only consideration not too............. personal finances.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

But it’s striking that no one else reports a rear spring failure on the F25. By all accounts, the E83 X3 was prone to them. So either BMW have fixed the problem, or it’s early days as yet and we should expect a rash of failures as the worldwide fleet ages?
I was all set to leave for a cross country drive when I found out a few days ago that the rear left coil was broken. The last 3" or so had snapped off. Probably the last coil. No change in ride height. It does seem a bit rougher driving but that's what I expect at 134000 miles and original struts. I don't want to spend a lot more money on the car as I want to get a newer model CPO but not before 3-4 months. With only a small break in the spring, should I replace both springs or just keep driving until I trade it in? Struts seem to be ok (for now).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

How the heck does a spring break? That's supposed to be a lifetime part.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
How the heck does a spring break? That's supposed to be a lifetime part.
I've read this is not a rare issue, especially in salt belts.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #14
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Replacing just one seems to be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I've read this is not a rare issue, especially in salt belts.
If that's the case, then I would imagine it's happening on cars that rarely get washed/rinsed.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Not on an X3, but same thing happened on my wifes E46 several years ago, passenger side rear spring broken. It wasnt discovered until we sold it and it was inspected, as the ride and ride height were not effected. But that car was about 10 yrs old when the broken spring was discovered, who knows how long she was driving with it broken.

I imagine there are more X3's with broken springs out there that the owner has no idea the spring is broken. They just attribute the slightly harsher ride to age, if they notice it at all.

That being said, my 2011 X3 35i's springs are fine as I just had the shocks/struts replaced and the springs checked out fine. 8 1/2 years old and 127k miles.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #17
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
If that's the case, then I would imagine it's happening on cars that rarely get washed/rinsed.
Even though people will keep their vehicles paint nice and clean, many neglect the under carriage. I have an under carriage wand for my pressure washed that I use to clean under my vehicles at the end of winter. It's amazing how much crud comes off onto the ground with a thorough washing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Not on an X3, but same thing happened on my wifes E46 several years ago, passenger side rear spring broken. It wasnt discovered until we sold it and it was inspected, as the ride and ride height were not effected. But that car was about 10 yrs old when the broken spring was discovered, who knows how long she was driving with it broken.

I imagine there are more X3's with broken springs out there that the owner has no idea the spring is broken. They just attribute the slightly harsher ride to age, if they notice it at all.

That being said, my 2011 X3 35i's springs are fine as I just had the shocks/struts replaced and the springs checked out fine. 8 1/2 years old and 127k miles.
Yeah no telling how long I've had a broken spring but it drives ok. No knocking or clunking from the rear. Just a little harsher ride. I have DHP which makes strut replacement more expensive based on how much I paid fo r my front struts one year ago. Money that I won't get back in a trade at this cars age and mileage. I wash my undercarriage during the winter but being in the north with all the road salt and potholes doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #19
Philthepowershower
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW f25 x3

Quote:

I just found a broken rear spring on my X3 f25 3.0d
70,000 miles 2012 model. Just saying. ☺️
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
I've had many cars during my life, new and used. All get tracked, off-roaded, or abused in some other manner, and I've never seen a spring break. What are you guys doing to these X3s!?

If anyone needs rear/front springs ill sell my OEM ones. Have about 20k miles on them on an FL (no salt) car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

My money is on hydrogen embrittlement, I've seen what this can do in other applications and believe BMW's spring supplier had an out of control process. Interesting to note in my case is that one day my wife got in the car (2011 X3 35i at probably 70K-ish miles), started backing out of the driveway and heard a very loud bang. I was in the house and it sounded like a gun going off. Neighbors who were walking by shuttered, stopped and looked at her.

There was no obvious or visible rationale for the noise and I thought it was the brake pads breaking loose from the rotors as I had washed it the night before and put it in the garage, she was the first to take it out the next morning. So, since we couldn't find any other reason, I took it around the block, it seemed just fine, she got in it and drove off.

A little over a year later when I was replacing brake rotors and pads, I noticed the broken spring, passenger rear corner, and then it hit...we finally knew what that very loud bang was. In the year since it happened, we drove the car from Florida to NY, drove all year in NY and then back to Florida again, probably around 10K miles all in all and never knew the spring was broken...no noise, no ride hide diff, nothing.

We just got back from Florida a couple of months ago, I pulled it in the garage and have not driven it since due to the virus and as soon as the weather decides to warm up, I'll jack it up and see if there is a part number for the spring and will replace it. I have learned from members on this board that BMW used different part number springs depending on the options on your car so for those of you out there wanting to replace yours, be sure to get the correct part number spring.

Here is what my broken spring looks like. I will replace both springs and both shocks since I'm doing it myself.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #22
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Darn, spring really took a dump- strange.....
Appreciate 0