BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 2.0D Xline

Retrofit flexnet lashing eyes -help needed

Hi - new 2.0d Sport owner here - just taken delivery and very impressed compared to my old E83. I'll post a detailed comparison and pictures in a few days time.

I'd like to retrofit some of the extended storage options for the cargo bay and wondered if someone could post a picture of the trim side "eyes" (not the rotating hook - the things further back) that the flex net attaches to. I'd like to know where to make holes relative to the seat catch and power socket to retrofit. Could someone maybe post a picture or measurements etc. Also, the "eye" parts have a hole which suggests a screw or expanding rivit is used to fix them in place - could anyone confirm if there's a fixing used here. Thanks

David
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

Would appreciate a picture of part 15 - thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalagan View Post
Hi - new 2.0d Sport owner here - just taken delivery and very impressed compared to my old E83. I'll post a detailed comparison and pictures in a few days time.

I'd like to retrofit some of the extended storage options for the cargo bay and wondered if someone could post a picture of the trim side "eyes" (not the rotating hook - the things further back) that the flex net attaches to. I'd like to know where to make holes relative to the seat catch and power socket to retrofit. Could someone maybe post a picture or measurements etc. Also, the "eye" parts have a hole which suggests a screw or expanding rivit is used to fix them in place - could anyone confirm if there's a fixing used here. Thanks

David
Hi David

Happy to help where I can but I'm a little unclear what you are looking for ? .... I have the extended storage with side nets (as in your diagram) I also have floor rails into which you slide lashing eyes. Let me know exactly what you mean.. I think 15 is the shopping bag hook .... Is that what you need ?

Cheers

MS
      12-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi - thanks for responding

Part no 7 is the shopping bag hook that rotates. I'm interested in fitting 15 to both sides. 15 is an "eye" for the top hooks on the rectangular flexnet which has four hooks - two for the lashing rails, two for these eyes. I think the flexnet can be installed one of four ways - along either side or across the car trunk at the back or the front. The flexnet is a big rectangular pocket and would be really useful for me for footballs, etc.

I just need to know extactly where to make a hole in the side trim to accommodate the push-in part 15 - relative measurements from another fixed point or a face-on photo would be perfect.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Word of advice, before cutting side trim, make sure to cut the insulation material on the back with a knife or a razor blade. Its not pretty when that stuff gets onto your jigsaw blade or a drill bit.... Speaking from the experience here
      01-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

So, finally completed a retro-fit of most of the extended storage options (S493A) in the luggage compartment of my 2014 F25 - lashing eyes (15) for flex net, tension belt (16), second rotating bag hook (7), hook to support the floor panel, the near-side parcel net (19) and the dividers for the underfloor storage tray.

In the UK we don't get any of these or the aluminium lashing rails as standard.

The side trim pieces (8 and 21) are easy to remove once the seat catch covers are removed (6 - pull these out to get to hidden plastic plug - 10). There are two more push-fit plugs and one torx at the other 3 corners. The trim pieces are much more flexible than on older cars and will pull out (and install) with a bit of flexing and no damage.

The exact position for the various cut-outs (my original question) are marked on the back of the trim. So, simple job with a steel ruler and a stanley knife to cut out holes for missing bits. I put some white masking tape on the back and marked out the rectangle cut-outs to make life easier. Make some dummy holes in scrap card first to get exact size and shape - these things need to fit very tight.

There's no sound insulation attached to the back of the trim either - so no mess when making holes.

The lashing eyes are secured to the metal body through the trim piece with a self-tapping M5x16 Torx screw (11 - realoem parts diagram is not clear) so lining these up perfectly does matter. Result is better attached trim pieces that don't flex and rock-solid lashing eyes (15) for the flex net 51477245211

The small framed side parcel net (19 - 51477290006) requires a couple of friction washers (20) and drilling four holes - again, very easy once you've worked out the right position. This is really useful for carrying wine bottles.

Hope this helps

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&hg=51&fg=65

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...14&hg=51&fg=65

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...13&hg=51&fg=65
Attached Images

Last edited by zalagan; 01-17-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0