BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
MattX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X3 Servicing

Hi all,
I've got a 2007 3.0D X3 and I'm looking to continue the servicing work myself. I'm after some advice, hints and guidance on the servicing, like what needs changing and when.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

Matt,
It's very easy. Just a couple of things. I tend to replace oil every 5,000 kms. I know it can go up to around 15,000 but its pretty dirty by then. Maybe every 7,500 kms would alo be ok. Don't forget the oil breather. Not specifically mentioned in the service manual but worthwhile nevertheless. Change every main (15,000 km) oil change. The rest is filters. Really nothing too dramatic. You will need to be able to reset your lights.
At least the X3 is higher off the ground so its easier to under the car. If you don't have an ETK, buy one off ebay.
Hope this helps.
Geoff
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
harryt8
harryt8
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 2.0D

Question X3 2.0d Oil Service...

Hi, I'm new to BMW's and this Forum.

I purchased an ex-demo 2009 X3 2.0d with Exec. Package some 6 weeks ago. I now have 15,210kms on the clock.

The vechile has now indicated to me that I need to do an Oil Change at 16,560kms.

As I see it and where I live in Far South Coast of NSW, Australia, and having browsed these forums, I have three options:

1. I can drive a round trip of 500kms to the nearest dealer in Wollongong or Canberra, and probably get charged an outrageous sum for a simple job.

2. Find a local independent mechanic. However, I can't find one either via Google or Yellow Pages.

3. Do the thing myself.

If I do it myself, of which I am capable but a bit rusty, am I correct to assume I need:

a. A BMW X3 Oil Change Kit purchased from a BMW Spare Parts Centre.
b. Five (5) litres of Castrol Magnatec SP5W-40 or Penrite HPR Diesel 5.
c. Tools and stuff.

* Where can I find out how to delete the "Oil Change Required" message on completion of the job?

* I haven't as yet looked under the engine to find the sump plug or oil filter. Is there anything tricky here?

* Is there anything else I should know or you would advise me to look at, read or investigate?

Appreciate your comments and advice.

Thank you.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

Careful of the sump plug. It is design to break before damaging the sump. From what I have read best to have a spare handy.
Appreciate 0