BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #45
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Glad you're enjoying your X3!
I hear you on trade prices. I took a pretty big hit on this X3 to take advantage of year-end incentives on the X5M.
On engine choice; the 28i pairs well with the X3, but the difference in power, power delivery (urgency/willingness to rev) and smoothness (never feels taxed) with the 35i is really remarkable. You can't replicate that experience by simply upping the boost on a 4cyl motor.
At legal speeds- the X3 w/N55 and DHP feels nearly as potent as my X5M.
Yep win some lose some lol. you're 100% right thats why I'm going to post mine up on here and see if someone takes it and appreciates what it has, rather than putting stock downpipe back.
How much did you save on the X5M again? Lease or Buy? Finance/Cash/Select?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
Wow. Very nice! I'll need to trade in my f10 if I need to jump on this. I'll probably get rapped on my trade but your car is very tempting!
Try carmax before and see other dealerships too.. DHP is very rare but its so worth it!

Quote:
Can't hurt to ask. Car is flawless. I even paid out of pocket for extra oil/filter changes (one at 1200 miles, and then every 5-7000 miles).
Good luck!
How come the extra oil changes out of pocket? Any particular reason why? Is it because BMW was/were using those cheaper oil ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      01-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #46
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
Quote:
Glad you're enjoying your X3!
I hear you on trade prices. I took a pretty big hit on this X3 to take advantage of year-end incentives on the X5M.
On engine choice; the 28i pairs well with the X3, but the difference in power, power delivery (urgency/willingness to rev) and smoothness (never feels taxed) with the 35i is really remarkable. You can't replicate that experience by simply upping the boost on a 4cyl motor.
At legal speeds- the X3 w/N55 and DHP feels nearly as potent as my X5M.
Yep win some lose some lol. you're 100% right thats why I'm going to post mine up on here and see if someone takes it and appreciates what it has, rather than putting stock downpipe back.
How much did you save on the X5M again? Lease or Buy? Finance/Cash/Select?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
Wow. Very nice! I'll need to trade in my f10 if I need to jump on this. I'll probably get rapped on my trade but your car is very tempting!
Try carmax before and see other dealerships too.. DHP is very rare but its so worth it!

Quote:
Can't hurt to ask. Car is flawless. I even paid out of pocket for extra oil/filter changes (one at 1200 miles, and then every 5-7000 miles).
Good luck!
How come the extra oil changes out of pocket? Any particular reason why? Is it because BMW was/were using those cheaper oil ?
I purchased the X5M for just over 11% off MSRP (plus another 1% coming via CCA rebate). Leasing is attractive on this car ($1,200/mo, at the time), but I do too many miles to lease; so again, I bought.

The % trade discount on the X3 (vs. blue book, etc.) was similar, but given that the X5M is twice the price, the nominal savings were significant.

As to why I change my oil more frequently than BMW is willing to pay for (annually or every 10k under the BMW NA maintenance program): it's better for the car. If you're a CCA member you'll recognize this as a core tenant of Mike Miller's Maintenance Plan.

Particularly the break in service; years ago, when BMW wasn't on the hook for maintenance, they required a break in service for all cars, now it's just M cars. For context, even Subaru requires a break in oil change (on an Outback) at 1500 miles.

Why? When pistons are seating and valves are moving for the first time- metal is released into your oil, the sooner you remove that (with an oil change) the better.

Remember- the increased cost of more frequent oil service intervals would be a BMW NA problem (as they pay for maintenance), but the long term consequences of the existing, longer oil service intervals really aren't (most cars are leased and warranties are no longer transferable to second owners). They're yours and mine.
Appreciate 1