BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
MarineBlue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

FOB & iphone conflict?

I thought the FOB could NOT be locked inside one’s car but I was wrong! I had my key FOB and my iPhone 11 in the same pocket of my golf bag. Altho I was able to open the trunk without pulling out my FOB once I closed the trunk with the bag in the back I couldn’t unlock the car! (I must have pushed the lock button instead of just the ‘close trunk’ button to lower the hatch). Has anyone heard of issues with the FOB and iPhone (or any other cell phone) causing the FOB not to work? Sometimes if my FOB and phone are next to each other in my purse, the side door lock doesn’t respond immediately. But I though there was a ‘protection’ mechanism that prevented an owner from actually locking their key inside the car by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

The fob and the iPhone are both radio frequency (RF) devices. The difference is that the iPhone runs a LOT more power in a relative sense. They need to be kept separate, physics is not your friend here.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I phone power trounces key fob! Had similar problem in wife's merc Glk .Car went into park at slow speeds and readout said key fob Not detected Beware!
Appreciate 0