BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Memory Buttons

I took delivery of my 2011 CPO this weekend and now working through having a good working knowedge of the iDrive system. There are two things I cannot figure out.

1. - I want to save a particular destination (my home) into one of the memory buttons so when it is pushed the Nav system sets itself up to take me home. It was no problem programming the address book into a button but I have been unable to program a specific destination. Can this be done and if so how?

2. - Page 137 of the manual has a section called "Gas station recommendation". By pushing "1 'Navigation', 2 'Route information', and 3 'Recommended refuel', the remaining range is calculated and gas stations along the route are displayed.". I do not see "Route Information" after pressing "Navigation". What am I missing as the manual certainly cannot be wrong.

Last edited by RhoXS; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I took delivery of my 2011 CPO this weekend and now working through having a good working knowedge of the iDrive system. There are two things I cannot figure out.

1. - I want to save a particular destination (my home) into one of the memory buttons so when it is pushed the Nav system sets itself up to take me home. It was no problem programming the address book into a button but I have been unable to program a specific destination. Can this be done and if so how?

2. - Page 137 of the manual has a section called "Gas station recommendation". By pushing "1 'Navigation', 2 'Route information', and 3 'Recommended refuel', the remaining range is calculated and gas stations along the route are displayed. I do not see "Route Information" after pressing "Navigation". What am I missing as the manual certainly cannot be wrong.
With regards to 1, you need to go into the nav itself as if you were about to start navigation. IIRC at the final step (before 'accept destination) you need to highlight the address you want and then press and hold the button you want to assign it to. Worked for me here the other side of the pond. Good luck!
      07-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

2. - Page 137 of the manual has a section called "Gas station recommendation". By pushing "1 'Navigation', 2 'Route information', and 3 'Recommended refuel', the remaining range is calculated and gas stations along the route are displayed.". I do not see "Route Information" after pressing "Navigation". What am I missing as the manual certainly cannot be wrong.
I think you need to program your address as home or to the contact list before you can save it to a button.
Left click twice to get into the Route Information menu or use voice command and just say Route Information.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:

You can save any previous destination to a button (use your home address as a destination first) ....... go to your previous destinations list ..... highlight the one you want to save ... then press and hold the memory button you want to save it to for a few seconds ..... the system will be bleep ..... thats it saved

Unfortunately cant help you with the gas station thing as I dont seem to have that function on mine (a UK MY14)

MS
      07-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
You can save any previous destination to a button (use your home address as a destination first) ....... go to your previous destinations list ..... highlight the one you want to save ... then press and hold the memory button you want to save it to for a few seconds ..... the system will be bleep ..... thats it saved

Unfortunately cant help you with the gas station thing as I dont seem to have that function on mine (a UK MY14)

MS
If I am right, you can save it that way, but when you hit the memory button, it will not start the destination for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Thanks for all the good advice. It helped me figure out what to do.

All that is necessary, as stated above, is to go to the address book and just highlight the address to be put in memory. After the desired entry is highlighted just hold in the desired button for a few seconds. Whenever that button is then momentarily pushed the Nav system comes up with that destination already set in.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If I am right, you can save it that way, but when you hit the memory button, it will not start the destination for you.
It does start the navigation on mine ...... this is the only way I have I have ever stored destinations to memory because I never store anything to the address book in the car.

MS
      07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
It does start the navigation on mine ...... this is the only way I have I have ever stored destinations to memory because I never store anything to the address book in the car.

MS
I learn something new everyday
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Anfänger
perennial neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

In an earlier thread on this forum someone pointed out that if you set a memory key for your home address, it will provide a simple path to your home if someone steals the car. Of course there are many ways to find your home address, but you might at least consider naming the destination something other than "home", and/or saving a location that is near your home, but far enough away to not trigger your garage door opener.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
In an earlier thread on this forum someone pointed out that if you set a memory key for your home address, it will provide a simple path to your home if someone steals the car. Of course there are many ways to find your home address, but you might at least consider naming the destination something other than "home", and/or saving a location that is near your home, but far enough away to not trigger your garage door opener.
You would think your car registration inside the car would give your address away.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Anfänger
perennial neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You would think your car registration inside the car would give your address away.
True, but you may have choices there, too. e.g., in NYS you can list a PO Box address on the registration document. You do have to list your residential address elsewhere on the application form, but that isn't printed on the registration or title documents.
Appreciate 0