BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
FYI - Putting a baby/infant/kid car seat in the X3.

I never knew the proper way to put a car seat in could be so complicated, until I had my install inspected at the hospital before leaving with my son. My install was incorrect and afterwards I read that it is estimated that 75% of car seats are installed incorrectly.

Today I was researching if BMW has updated to allow latch capable system in the center of the rear seat for new models. They have not as far as I could find. In fact when researching I found many people telling people they could do this on many models/years.

DO NOT USE THE QUICK LATCH SYSTEM TO MOUNT ANY SEAT IN THE CENTER!!

Thats my FYI... While its feasible to mount in the center and use one latch point from the L & R side, this is forbidden and BMW says the integrity is not there in case of an accident. If you want to mount a seat in the center you have to use the seat belt to anchor the seat not quick latches.

If you ever have any concern your car seat is not mounted correctly, go to your local police or fire dept and they will inspect for free. Its scary to think that 3 out of 4 people are driving around with their seat mounted wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I know it's frowned upon but we used the middle seat and the LACTH system in both our F30 and F25. We also used the center belt but no matter how I tried to convince myself the center always felt way more secure using the LATCH. Plus the center just feels safer due to distance from the doors.

From our research there were hardly any vehicles approved for center mounting location.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

I did a lot of research on this as well. Basically it comes down to the fact that if you mount it in the center and use LATCH the two connecting points (or latch points) are too far apart for what's needed to secure the seat and could create an issue with how the carseat was designed to stay put during a crash.

After all of this research I put the carseat behind the driver. Been like that for three years in both cars. Why? Well, first because if it was in the middle it would be hard for anyone to sit in the back of the e90, probably even the f25. Second, because I figured I had a "leg up" by buying the safest carseats out there. Third, because it was easy to get the kid in and out of the car. Okay, yes, there's a slightly greater risk of injury if the child is on the sides rather than the middle, but more injuries are caused by improper installation of carseats than seats in the middle vs. sides.
Appreciate 0