BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
bogx3
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
I ended up getting the HUD and lane departure warning which prevents you from getting CWII. This past December I with friends in the back I wish I had opted for CWII.

1) Wow that is the last time I type a response on my ipad.

2) Unfortunately those two options can not be selected together. I think the motor that vibrates the wheel when you've departed your lane interferes with the heated wheel. I found that the hard way after selecting pretty much every option on the car and being called last minute by the dealer telling me I can't have cold weather II and the lane departure at the same time.
Hmm, i believe that the heated steerig wheel is part of Cold Weather 1 and that Cold Weather 1 would be required in order to get CW2. Does this mean that you had to forego both CW1 and CW2 in order to get Lane Departure?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

You have to forego CW1, but you can get 40-20-40 split and heated front seats as separate options. SInce CW2 requires CW1, you can't get CW2.

Had to deal with issue in March 2012 and decided to keep Lane Departure. My car is kept in garage and it doesn't really get that cold in Philadelphia region.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Went through similar thought process but for me (and my rear passengers) I felt warmth in New England Winters was a priority. I had a heated steering wheel in my 7 and really miss it. Heated rear seats will keep our friends comfortable. As far as lane departure, etc,... I guess if I can't stay in my lane, I shouldn't be driving
      01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
1) Wow that is the last time I type a response on my ipad.

2) Unfortunately those two options can not be selected together. I think the motor that vibrates the wheel when you've departed your lane interferes with the heated wheel. I found that the hard way after selecting pretty much every option on the car and being called last minute by the dealer telling me I can't have cold weather II and the lane departure at the same time.

FYI:

I think it should be noted on the US website it shows that if you select the Driver Assistance Package you CAN get any cold weather package (I & II) IF you don't take the M Sport Package.

Once you pick the M Sport Package with the Driver Assistance Package you can't get any cold weather package (both I & II) and vice versa. Hence why I have every package except the Driver Assistance Package. And I would not choose otherwise between the two setups. I like the CW I & II package

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #27
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I wanted the MSport so that defined my options. I went with CW I and II (rear seat heaters are a must for winter guests) and ordered the HUD as a stand alone option. The only thing I'll miss is the lane departure. I have a 335ix MSport with both the HUD and the lane departure - I found I can't live without the HUD now, and I want the M, so the ld is out. It does help, but not as much as the HUD in everyday driving.
      01-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #28
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Would you mind sharing what you find attractive about the lane departure feature? For me, it seems an odd addition for the BMW crowd who tend to be fairly active drivers. I can't imagine a time when the lane departure warning would tell me something I didn't already know. I'm imagining your situation is similar, so wondering what benefit I'm not thinking of. I fear that by trying not to sound flip, I may come across more so. Am serious though about not getting it, but being interested in what I might be missing.
      01-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #29
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
FYI:

I think it should be noted on the US website it shows that if you select the Driver Assistance Package you CAN get any cold weather package (I & II) IF you don't take the M Sport Package.

Once you pick the M Sport Package with the Driver Assistance Package you can't get any cold weather package (both I & II) and vice versa. Hence why I have every package except the Driver Assistance Package. And I would not choose otherwise between the two setups. I like the CW I & II package
It seems you are correct! At least on the web site I was able to choose CW + Lane Departure without M-Sport. I had somehow thought Lane Departure was incompatible with heated steering wheel in every case. The 'build your own' allowed CW + SAP also. However, my thoughts were like yours: I wanted M-Sport and CW (and CWII), so the decision was made for me. I did not choose lane departure or separate heads up display option (although cool technology) but got every other package.
      01-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #30
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Would you mind sharing what you find attractive about the lane departure feature? For me, it seems an odd addition for the BMW crowd who tend to be fairly active drivers. I can't imagine a time when the lane departure warning would tell me something I didn't already know. I'm imagining your situation is similar, so wondering what benefit I'm not thinking of. I fear that by trying not to sound flip, I may come across more so. Am serious though about not getting it, but being interested in what I might be missing.
It's a preference thing certainly but I have this turned off on mine...can't stand it. For the reasons you listed, I stayed far away from this package on the x3.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I agree that BMW drivers are probably more attentive than most, however I find it amazing that you would presume to be incapable of a lapse in concentration or a mistake. I consider myself an active driver, have run SOLO II (now just called Solo) for decades, estimate I have over a million miles under my belt and haven't had an accident since the 80's (knock on wood). I still wear my seatbelt. A close friend who I considered a better driver than myself (he was our priest AND an active EMT and volunteer fireman - seriously) fell asleep at the wheel one night after a late Mass and was killed. I'm sure that there wasn't anything he didn't already know, too.

My 335 has lane departure warning, but it also uses the same camera for the speed limit display, which is a very helpful feature that I'll miss on the X3. I also have the blind spot system even though I have my mirrors correctly adjusted and look every time. Please don't take it personally, but when I hear that someone deliberately avoids an available safety feature because they assume it's wasted on them, I just sigh, say a little prayer and wish them the best.
      01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention - I will not be getting the lane departure on the X3. Not because it isn't worthwhile to any driver, but because it came in second place to the configuration I wanted. I will still miss it and will admit the reduction in safety.
      01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe View Post
I agree that BMW drivers are probably more attentive than most, however I find it amazing that you would presume to be incapable of a lapse in concentration or a mistake. I consider myself an active driver, have run SOLO II (now just called Solo) for decades, estimate I have over a million miles under my belt and haven't had an accident since the 80's (knock on wood). I still wear my seatbelt. A close friend who I considered a better driver than myself (he was our priest AND an active EMT and volunteer fireman - seriously) fell asleep at the wheel one night after a late Mass and was killed. I'm sure that there wasn't anything he didn't already know, too.

My 335 has lane departure warning, but it also uses the same camera for the speed limit display, which is a very helpful feature that I'll miss on the X3. I also have the blind spot system even though I have my mirrors correctly adjusted and look every time. Please don't take it personally, but when I hear that someone deliberately avoids an available safety feature because they assume it's wasted on them, I just sigh, say a little prayer and wish them the best.
I only avoided it because I couldn't get it with M-Sport and CW packages.
      01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I don't know if you made your decision yet, but here's why I would, and why I did...

If you're having a little one, chances are your neurotic wife will want to sit in the back with the baby for some period of time.

Wives use seat warmers regardless of time of year.

Get the rear seat warmers, and then she'll warm your seat too later...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #35
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I don't know if you made your decision yet, but here's why I would, and why I did...

If you're having a little one, chances are your neurotic wife will want to sit in the back with the baby for some period of time.

Wives use seat warmers regardless of time of year.

Get the rear seat warmers, and then she'll warm your seat too later...

Yup.. same reason I got it . Wife (minus neurotic ) spends most of her time back there with the baby when we all go out in the X3 and she loves the fact that she can have the comfort of the heated seats as if she was in the front.

Now that it's cold when I drive her X3 and go back to another vehicle without the heated steering wheel I actually miss the stupid thing...now I'm spoiled for life damn you X3!!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #36
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
Now that it's cold when I drive her X3 and go back to another vehicle without the heated steering wheel
Buy driving gloves.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Buy driving gloves.
It's not the same ...especially in very cold weather. The only thing that saves me is my other vehicles have remote start so they are not freezing by the time I get in. BUT it still doesn't beat the heated steering

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #38
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Cold Weather II, and more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoskins23 View Post
I am your neighbor in Connecticut and I recommend you get cold weather II. This latest snow and cold snap made me glad I have it. The heated seats in this car are awesome and having them in the rear is a nice addition. You will love this car whatever you decide.
I agree, as a quiet member here. If you've got the Xenon adaptive lights, spend the extra penny for the washers. I remember the days when I used to have to get out of the car to wipe off the headlights with caked on salt and road crud.

Highly suggest the Head Up Display option.......was $1500 when I ordered mine, but its the most used, most valuable option that I love every day....