BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
rodybmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50 / 2011 335is Coupe

X3 ISOFIX / LATCH Recall.....Stop Sales Order...

I am in the market for a used X3 (2013-2016) and the dealers that I was dealing with called me yesterday (5/19/16) to tell me that BMW just issued a mandatory stop sales order on used and new X3's because of a safety issue having to do with the ISOFIX / LATCH child seat anchoring system. One dealer said it was only certain F25 X3's, while the other said it's all used AND new F25 X3's.

Does anyone have more details on this (are all F25's affected, and how long is BMW anticipating it would take to fix the problem)?

Thanks in Advance
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodybmw View Post
I am in the market for a used X3 (2013-2016) and the dealers that I was dealing with called me yesterday (5/19/16) to tell me that BMW just issued a mandatory stop sales order on used and new X3's because of a safety issue having to do with the ISOFIX / LATCH child seat anchoring system. One dealer said it was only certain F25 X3's, while the other said it's all used AND new F25 X3's.

Does anyone have more details on this (are all F25's affected, and how long is BMW anticipating it would take to fix the problem)?

Thanks in Advance
It definitely applies to 2011s because I just received the notice on my 2011 as well. Apparently the fix requires welding a supporting bracket to the LATCH anchors. Not real comfortable with having someone weld on the interior of my fairly new car. Not happy about this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

This is what I received from my dealer

Model Year 2011-16 BMW X3 SAV, X4 SAC
ISOFIX Child Restraint System Anchors
Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q1. Which BMW models are affected by this Safety Recall?
Certain Model Year 2011-2016 BMW X3 SAVs and X4 SACs produced from July 2010 through April 2016.
Q2. How many BMW vehicles in the US are affected by this Safety Recall?
Approximately 188,670 BMW vehicles in the US are affected.
Q3. What is the specific issue?
This safety recall involves the lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems.
When specifically used with ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector child restraint systems, the lower anchor bars could become damaged over the lifetime of the vehicle. This rigid-style connector is mainly used in Europe but it is available in the US.
See the image below illustrating the rigid-style connectors.
This condition is unlikely
This issue is unlikely to occur using LATCH-type flexible-style connector child restraint systems which represent the majority of child restraint systems used in the US.
Q4. What can happen as a result of this issue?
If the lower anchor bar(s) become damaged during vehicle operation, this would increase the risk of injury to a child in a child restraint system attached to the lower anchor bars in a crash.
Q5. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
Q6. Why are other X3 and X4 vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other vehicles produced outside the production period of July 2010 through April 2016 were manufactured with a different configuration of lower anchor bar.
Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q7. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
This issue has only been known to occur with an ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector child restraint system. Therefore, if you use the LATCH-type flexible-style connector, your vehicle is unlikely to experience this condition.
This issue could be noticed when attempting to attach a child restraint system if the lower anchor bar is loose. It could also be noticed during vehicle operation if the child restraint system appears to be loose.
If you notice the above, place your hand between the seat back and seat cushion to locate the lower anchor bar. It is a small metal bar in a rectangular shape. Once located, make an attempt to move it back and forth to determine if it is loose.
Please contact an authorized BMW Center to have your vehicle inspected and, if necessary, repaired.
Q8. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this service performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q9. How will my vehicle be repaired?
A reinforcing bracket will be welded to the lower anchor bars and the vehicle body.
Q10. Is BMW aware of any injuries involving the vehicles associated with this issue?
No.
Q11. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
If your vehicle is affected, you will receive a letter in July via First Class mail advising you of this recall and requesting that you schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center for service and repair.
To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
Q12. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take several hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.
Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q13. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing this program to ensure that the necessary parts, tools and procedures are available at its authorized BMW centers, prior to instructing you to take your vehicle in for repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

interesting, because usually the NHTSA website is up to date on it, and I often get notified by their alerts before my recall letter arrives in the mail.

They don't currently list the 2014 X3 as having a recall for it...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...YD86A40KQR9XCJ
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Anyone in the UK/Europe heard about this recall?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
rodybmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50 / 2011 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
This is what I received from my dealer

Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q1. Which BMW models are affected by this Safety Recall?
Certain Model Year 2011-2016 BMW X3 SAVs and X4 SACs produced from July 2010 through April 2016.
Q2. How many BMW vehicles in the US are affected by this Safety Recall?
Approximately 188,670 BMW vehicles in the US are affected.
Q3. What is the specific issue?
This safety recall involves the lower anchor bars for use in attaching child restraint systems.
When specifically used with ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector child restraint systems, the lower anchor bars could become damaged over the lifetime of the vehicle. This rigid-style connector is mainly used in Europe but it is available in the US.
See the image below illustrating the rigid-style connectors.
This condition is unlikely
This issue is unlikely to occur using LATCH-type flexible-style connector child restraint systems which represent the majority of child restraint systems used in the US.
Q4. What can happen as a result of this issue?
If the lower anchor bar(s) become damaged during vehicle operation, this would increase the risk of injury to a child in a child restraint system attached to the lower anchor bars in a crash.
Q5. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
Q6. Why are other X3 and X4 vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other vehicles produced outside the production period of July 2010 through April 2016 were manufactured with a different configuration of lower anchor bar.
Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q7. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
This issue has only been known to occur with an ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector child restraint system. Therefore, if you use the LATCH-type flexible-style connector, your vehicle is unlikely to experience this condition.
This issue could be noticed when attempting to attach a child restraint system if the lower anchor bar is loose. It could also be noticed during vehicle operation if the child restraint system appears to be loose.
If you notice the above, place your hand between the seat back and seat cushion to locate the lower anchor bar. It is a small metal bar in a rectangular shape. Once located, make an attempt to move it back and forth to determine if it is loose.
Please contact an authorized BMW Center to have your vehicle inspected and, if necessary, repaired.
Q8. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this service performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q9. How will my vehicle be repaired?
A reinforcing bracket will be welded to the lower anchor bars and the vehicle body.
Q10. Is BMW aware of any injuries involving the vehicles associated with this issue?
No.
Q11. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
If your vehicle is affected, you will receive a letter in July via First Class mail advising you of this recall and requesting that you schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center for service and repair.
To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
Q12. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take several hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.
Safety Recall 16V-xxx
Q13. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing this program to ensure that the necessary parts, tools and procedures are available at its authorized BMW centers, prior to instructing you to take your vehicle in for repair.

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

It's interesting that BMW says people can drive their cars until they get a letter sometime in July to bring it in to the dealers to be fixed, yet the dealers are not allowed to sell the affected cars at all. If it's enough of a safety issue to stop the sales of X3's why would they tell people to keep driving them for a couple of more months until the fix is available. They should just sell the cars and have people bring them in for the repair when the time comes, instead of putting a stop sale order for the X3's.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
I wonder that too. We bought the X3 because our baby is due next month and we'll make daily use of the ISOFIX connectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

How do these recalls work? Do I drive up to the dealer and ask about the recall and request service? Do they give me a loaner car for free if it takes more than X hours or something?

Sorry if I'm naive - I've never been through this sort of process
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Volkom,

This will be my 2nd BMW recall on my X3. The first was for the 35i Vanos bolt problem.

In my experience, you'll receive an official letter from BMW informing you of the problem, and telling you to contact your dealer in order to correct it.

You'll call your dealer, and they'll already be booked up for months with people who are already scheduled for the repair. Ask to schedule your repair on a date when a (BMW) loaner is available. (I'm out of warranty, and this is what I do for all work which I have done at the dealer. My dealer, the last time that I checked, had over 100 loaners. I sometimes still have to wait for two weeks to get one.)

When the repair is done you'll have a new/updated sticker on the inside door jamb of the driver's door, which will indicate that the recall repair has been completed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i guess my x4 is part of this recall, my lil one should be here by august.
I will wait til next month for letter to arrive, if not Im contacting my service dept.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #11
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
IMHO, BMW should give priority in the recall to those X3 and X4 vehicles owned by persons that self-identify they will use child seats. Those owners like me that have no prospects to use a child seat in my X3 should volunteer to be at the back of the line.
Also, why not sell these vehicles to those that confirm they will not use a child seat? I took delivery of my X3 on April 29th. I am 60+ years with no grandchildren and only adult children. I would have been very unhappy if delivery had been delayed due to this recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I received a recall letter today which is dissapointing given that we bought the car specifically for the arrival of our now 9 month old baby. We have used thr isofix mounts since July last year. Most surprising is they I only received the letter now even if BMW acknowledged the issue last year.

I will take the to the dealer the in the coming days and let you know how it went.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I received a recall letter today which is dissapointing given that we bought the car specifically for the arrival of our now 9 month old baby. We have used thr isofix mounts since July last year. Most surprising is they I only received the letter now even if BMW acknowledged the issue last year.

I will take the to the dealer the in the coming days and let you know how it went.
BMW Reading informed me of the recall at last service. Have had last two X3's have the fix completed, cars had to go to BMW Basingstoke, as the work couldn't be completed at BMW Reading. Reading took them to the Basingstoke workshop and then returned them repaired.
I received the letters after the work had already been completed.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance

Last edited by VikingOne; 04-21-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

UK BMW Recalls on Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
https://www.gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled
Attached Images

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Yep

Had mine done during its service ... was done several months ago

Andy

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #16
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Mine was done in the beginning of the campaign. BMW won't release real problem, but say's mounts could be damaged - hence the reinforcement. I believe they could disengage in a very severe crash - like 40 mph head on in a barrier - a crash which is very unlikely. From a rear passenger point of view, this is more severe than the dreaded 40% or 25% offset crashes.

Befor accepting offer, I went through procedure, and it is very elaborate - particularily effort not to damage interior-hence not all shops do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 02:16 AM   #17
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Only specifically authorised workshops do this. It is a 4 hour job with parts of the seating being removed and refitted and with asbestos blankets being used to prevent any heat damage.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I purchased a 2016 X3 CPO about 4 months ago and I was told this recall had been fixed on mine. I cannot tell anything has ever been done to the car so however it was fixed was done properly and with no visible evidence or damage. Very satisfied with the work my dealer did.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
alpwhite46
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Mpkg

It says here in Canada:
Note: Child restraint systems using LATCH-type flexible style connectors, which reflect the vast majority of child restraint systems used in Canada, do not cause this issue.
Appreciate 0