BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #67
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

RR Vs X3 comparison

Hi I am a newbie to the forum and this is my first post.

I too went through the RR Evoque and X3 choice.

Based on my experience these are my thoughts:

Engine & Gearbox

I drove the Pure 2.2d automatic and X3 2.0d automatic.The dealers in the UK seem to have very few demo cars and did not have an X3 3.0D which is what I wanted to test.
The RR engine is a smoother engine in my opinion,the Bmw engine felt a little harsh especially under acceleration, this has to be balanced against much greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions.This is a big consideration in the UK where fuel prices are sky high.
Bmw auto better as 8sp and can be put into sport mode for semi auto changes wheras RR can only be put into sport mode. (unless you pay a great deal more for the Dynamic version which has paddle shift).
Performance was only adequate on both. I presently have a 3.35d coupe so both seemed very slow in comparison. Hence my interest in the 3.0d.

Handling

Generally better on BMW for road use and better ride quality (on SE spec and 17" wheels.)
Did not try either vehicle off road but RR would be better based on other posts on forum.
If you want to go off road there are other better vehicles.

Cabin

RR generally more impressive, BMW designers need to up their game as interiors are starting to look dated and too much black plastic.
RR panoramic sunroof a brilliant sensibly priced option (£790) which transforms the cabin especially for rear seat passengers, take note BMW.
RR cabin smaller(drove the 3 dr version), rear seat access difficult.
Visibility in RR are rear abysmal due to postage slot rear window- rear camera a must. Bmw rear visibility much better and comes with rear parking sensor as standard.
Generally felt a bit claustophobic in RR especially for rear seat passengers.

Specification

RR better spec, eg standard DAB radio and bluetooth 18" alloys and heated seats.

Style

RR wins hands down , X3 is an improvement on previous model but nothing to get excited about.

Overall

The RR seems to be more of a fashion item and the engines are weaker by comparison(especially the auto versions). There are no 6 cylinder or high performance engines.
There is a big price jump from the pure version to the Prestige/Dynamic versions- for the extra money you still end up with a car with an average 4 cylinder engine. You get more electric toys and expensive trims etc.

There are some lessons to be learn by BMW from the evoque(and vice versa):

Dealer experience

RR- bad, bad, bad!!!
Worst experience ever at a car dealers. I have been a BMW customer for a number of years and was really looking for a change and the evoque seemed
to fit the bill for what I was looking for.
Dealer experience changed my mind- salesman rude inefficient and was not keen to let me have a proper test drive. When he realised I wanted a pure and not fully loaded prestige/dynamic he took great delight in telling me that they had a huge waiting list and offered me a lousy part exchange(without even looking at the vehicle) and delighted in telling me how much less it would be worth in 6 months time!
The experience has put me off buying any LR or RR product ever.
Found it hard to believe how bad it was and very short sighted by dealer- future purchases ? so complained to the dealer principle,who did not respond, but salesman's boss rang and did not seem interested, just trotted out some pathetic stock answers- I guess this is just normal for them.
Conclusion RR dealers treat customers like C**p, just imagine what they are like when they have your money or you need after sales service ?
This seems to be borne out by posts on the RR Evoque forum which is full of complaints about dealers.

The RR dealer concerned was Stratstone in Nottingham.

The dealer experience at BMW was totally different in a good way.

In the end I went for the X3 as it was a better overall package.

spec:

X3 3.0d Space Grey
Red Brown leather
Y spoke 308 !8" alloys
Panoramic roof
Folding mirrors
Sports seats
Sport Wheel
Service Pack
DAB radio
Bluetooth

Delivery estimated July, can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #68
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

i was about to place my order for an Evoque for mid june delivery, when my bmw salesman called up and told me a fairly loaded white x1 on red/brown interior has just arrived and he is willing to negotiate.

this is confusing. and now just moments ago, i saw the facelifted GLK. i always have a benz in the garage for the past 14years and im trading in the ML for the Evoque. So GLK comes to mind to keep the star in the stable.

my heart goes to the Evoque, but my mind says X3. loyalty in me says GLK.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #69
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Dealer experience

RR- bad, bad, bad!!!
Worst experience ever at a car dealers. I have been a BMW customer for a number of years and was really looking for a change and the evoque seemed
to fit the bill for what I was looking for.
Dealer experience changed my mind- salesman rude inefficient and was not keen to let me have a proper test drive. When he realised I wanted a pure and not fully loaded prestige/dynamic he took great delight in telling me that they had a huge waiting list and offered me a lousy part exchange(without even looking at the vehicle) and delighted in telling me how much less it would be worth in 6 months time!
The experience has put me off buying any LR or RR product ever.
Found it hard to believe how bad it was and very short sighted by dealer- future purchases ? so complained to the dealer principle,who did not respond, but salesman's boss rang and did not seem interested, just trotted out some pathetic stock answers- I guess this is just normal for them.
Conclusion RR dealers treat customers like C**p, just imagine what they are like when they have your money or you need after sales service ?
This seems to be borne out by posts on the RR Evoque forum which is full of complaints about dealers.

The RR dealer concerned was Stratstone in Nottingham.

The dealer experience at BMW was totally different in a good way.

In the end I went for the X3 as it was a better overall package.

spec:
Have to say the RR dealer here in the SW was just as bad. Not interested in offering test drive (Had 6 test drives of BMWs various X1/X3/X5 combo's).

Told us the Audi was a better car!

Waste of a drive to see them!

BMW (OCEAN) are exactly what you need from a dealer. Not push but quick to respond, explain clearly anything asked, helped but did not select spec, a total experiance (and great coffee!).
Been to 3 other BMW dealers and sensed a similar level of service.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #70
ChessToon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman 2.0SD All4 Aut

RR v Evogue

Before finally placing my order for an X3 I had seriously been looking at the RR. I had placed a deposit on one prior to release and got invited to the various reveal dates to see the car.
Upon initial inspection I was quite impressed by the car but obviously they were pre-production but fully spec'd. I kept the deposit on the car and waited to drive one before completing the order.
Once I had driven it I started to have doubts, comparing it with the X3 I didn't feel it was that special. I would say the 2.0d auto on the X3 is significantly better in refinement and performance than the 2.2d on the RR. VDC on the X3 lets it handle better on the road aswell. The only area of weakness being off road and I wouldn't be doing that anyway.
My dealings with the dealer also raised additional issues especially when considering the running costs of both cars.
Compare BMW's £350 for 5yrs servicing to RR's approx £400 to £500 per year. Then add additional cost of higher car tax, less mpg so despite the anticipated high residual values the RR would be a drain during ownership. I know that most would say if you can afford a £40k car why worry but I would rather not pay more than necessary.
The salesman however, contrary to others, was very helpful but had no answers to the issues raised over running costs and could only say "You'll be driving the most sought after car of 2011!".

Therefore I would certainly say the overall ownership package on the X3 will be better than going for the RR. I also think that the X3 is likely to have better residuals over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #71
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

just placed my order for an evoque today, mid june delivery.

the bmw salesguy failed to call me on time and i already made my order.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno787

Thats a pity, but I am sure you will enjoy it anyway ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #73
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Good luck with the baby RR... the chicks will dig it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno787 View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #74
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Sure you will love it! Looks great in my opinion with a lovely interior....came close to ordering one but eventually the lack of discount and flexibility from the dealer swung it to X3.

Have owned two RR products, an Disco and a Freelander, loved both of them. Trouble is part of the "off road experience" means at the dealers being fixed.

Had a band new Disco....driving along the motorway BANG....the external trim on the A pilar flew off....looked like it had been bodged into place....needed body shop attention!

But sure you will love your purchase...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #75
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I disagree because the Evoque is a fresh take on SUV norms, yet still has enough RR DNA to build on the design language. The Evoque's styling will likely last longer than BMW's current styling self parody, because it has similar timeless characteristics to Mid-Century design which still looks contemporary.

But if you prefer BMW's styling that's your choice and you should be happy with it.
I totally agreed with you, I think the Evoque will age well like the other RR.
I am thinking of getting an Evoque to replace my Mini Clubman even I already have a X3 Msport. It looks so cool and luxury that I have to own one, X3 is still a good looking and practical car which may be slight better to drive, but Evoque is more stylish and special IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #76
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I disagree because the Evoque is a fresh take on SUV norms, yet still has enough RR DNA to build on the design language. The Evoque's styling will likely last longer than BMW's current styling self parody, because it has similar timeless characteristics to Mid-Century design which still looks contemporary.

But if you prefer BMW's styling that's your choice and you should be happy with it.
Someone's swallowed a corporate marketing BS handbook....

What's so fresh about the Evoque? It shares the look of a vehicle from the Max Max set, just as the X6 does.
      04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #77
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Maybe because I'm a 25 year crazed BMW fanatic family member but I agree and feel the Evoque will not age well like the more conservative RR designs. In my opinion it isn't a RR at all but more of a gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #78
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Personally I thing it's a good looking vehicle but in general will be more to the liking of women.

I have taken a closer look at a few of them at the dealer and thought that the car's philosophy is truly style over substance: The interior is well put together yet is has a glitzy/bling feel to it and my daughter (15) even said it looked tacky. The interior room is quite bad if you are of average size and above, there is no room in the back for adults to feel comfortable, and the trunk is... oh there barely is no trunk.

I definitely believe that just like bell bottom pants, the Evoque will not age well. Here in Switzerland, we have actually been getting a lot of them and within maybe a month the novelty has already worn off which is not a good sign. It's more like a fashion blip, and that never has any staying power.

Oh I must add that if you enjoy performance that is definitely not the vehicle for you.

Last edited by Chris55; 04-26-2012 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0