BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
mariodr
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question Vibration during hard acceleration.

We experience vibration in the steering column during hard acceleration, typically in the 40 to 50 mph range. Had a dealer check it out, and as usual they did not come up with anything, saying the vehicle is just fine. However, there is a pronounced vibration which is repeatable every single time, that was not there before.

I had two questions. Can this be caused by a rim, or would that be noticable all the time, not just during hard acceleration. Would this be caused by some other obvious component. I had the dealer check the motor mounts, and he indicated that they are ok. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
pplace
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 X3 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodr View Post
We experience vibration in the steering column during hard acceleration, typically in the 40 to 50 mph range. Had a dealer check it out, and as usual they did not come up with anything, saying the vehicle is just fine. However, there is a pronounced vibration which is repeatable every single time, that was not there before.

I had two questions. Can this be caused by a rim, or would that be noticable all the time, not just during hard acceleration. Would this be caused by some other obvious component. I had the dealer check the motor mounts, and he indicated that they are ok. Thanks.
Stock answer for every question....we can't see anything wrong.

Rotors? Brakes?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodr View Post

From a dead stop to full throttle you don't notice the issue until 40-50MPH?

I would try your test with DPC/traction controll disabled to rule out any type of computer glitch.
      10-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
mariodr
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Disabled the DPC/traction - same problem. Appears to be other issue. Will pursue with other dealer or independent shop. Thanks for suggestions.
Appreciate 0