BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Saw my first Evoque - OMG it's tiny!

Was dropping off a car to get detailed this morning, and there was an Evoque being cleaned.
It was tiny.
It looked about the same size as a countryman.
Very small rear seats and tiny boot space.
I can't see how it gets compared to the X3 so often. They are in a different size class completely.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Falconx3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

It's a fashion statement car- looks fresh and smoking hot now, but I
in a year or two, buyers will be scratching their heads wondering why they didn't buy an X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
renderfarmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M

I saw the Evoque 3 years ago when it was called the Kia Soul.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Agreed. I looked at Evoque as well and I didn't like it at all. It's small, expensive, lacking power/torque and just like the 350/370Z will go out of style in a few years. At least the X3 will age well and still look good many years down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Falconx3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by renderfarmer
I saw the Evoque 3 years ago when it was called the Kia Soul.
Brilliant
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Fresh take on the SUV

I happen to think Gerry McGovern has created a very fresh take on the conventional SUV styling cues and there's more to come from JLR in the near future.

Most of the Evoque's competitors are now beginning to look stale including the X3 and Q5. There is nothing modern about the X3's form, proportions, or styling. If you like middle of the road you can probably enjoy it for a few years longer, but if you like your vehicle design fresh you will be moving on before very long.

Sadly for BMW they didn't have the b@lls to keep on the path set by Chris Bangle and be really modern. Look at the 7 Series - it's a fairground distorted mirror image of a luxury car. The 6 is as bad. And the 5 Series unutterably bland. The new 3 Series is a 7/10ths scale model of the 5 Series. The X5 and X6 are the Borat's of SUV design.

There are some interesting new forms coming from SEA in the next 2 years that will really show how complacent and conservative the current crop of European brand stylists have become.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I tried an Evoke last week. I have to say I walked away disapointed.
Practically it was a non starter.
The luggage space was very small
With a 6ft'r driving, the rear knee space was very poor.
The side bolsters on the front seats were very uncomfortable against my legs.
The interior felt crowded.
The interior styling felt 'girlish'. pretty butterfly wings as back rests etc.

However. the finish looked good.

Driving was a huge disapointment. sluggish and poor economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Digso
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3M

Garage List
We almost pulled the trigger w/ the Evoque ... So happy we decided on the 2012 X3M. Q5S-Line was also in the running. It did not "feel" the same when we went to test drive and sit in the X3. I guess it was love at first sight with the X3 lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I posted this in another thread recently, I still very much stand by it.

We can say there's personal preference about the styling of the Evoque but there's a certain something about style which classifies it as classy, safe or crass. It's not something that can be taught or written down as an equation (some elements can, eg golden ratio). The X3 has safe styling that won't offend or have people go wow. The Evoque is a mixture. The front is aggressive and the best angle. The side on the 3 door - the rear window looks tiny but maybe it's ok, on the 5 door it's wrong. The rear is a disaster, really messy and frankly very ugly.

We should applaud RR for trying to do something different but the styling exercise should not have made it into production.

You may say there are plenty of people buying them and that's true. They just don't have style and they won't look as smug as they do today when there's are lots around and everyone gets over their newness and sees the styling for what it is. The Evoque might as well have been styled by a footballer - lest we forget Victoria Beckham put her name to some to the interior design, ironically some of the best features.

So all show and no go but the show part has very little style.
      02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I think I noted everything you did Rogerbu when my wife and I looked at the Evoque.

My boys are are 11 & 13 and the RR will not fit my family in a couple of years.

I second the 'girlish' comment too. Even my wife said the RR is something she could see herself driving.

Interestingly it was after our second test drive in the RR that we decided to 'look' at the X3 and although the styling wasn't as nice IMO and the interior had a very "Germanic" feel but the performance and size better suited the family unit. The X3 also felt more masculine.

Back to the OP comments, ya the RR is about 7/8th size of the X3. OK for empty nesters or dinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I tried an Evoke last week. I have to say I walked away disapointed.
Practically it was a non starter.
The luggage space was very small
With a 6ft'r driving, the rear knee space was very poor.
The side bolsters on the front seats were very uncomfortable against my legs.
The interior felt crowded.
The interior styling felt 'girlish'. pretty butterfly wings as back rests etc.

However. the finish looked good.

Driving was a huge disapointment. sluggish and poor economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Sadly for BMW they didn't have the b@lls to keep on the path set by Chris Bangle and be really modern. Look at the 7 Series - it's a fairground distorted mirror image of a luxury car. The 6 is as bad. And the 5 Series unutterably bland. The new 3 Series is a 7/10ths scale model of the 5 Series. The X5 and X6 are the Borat's of SUV design.
Glad you have such a strong opinion, though like some here I definitely don't share it. In fact, I'm not sure I could agree with anything you mention here, even the comment comparing the 3 and 5 series.

Personally, I think my X3 is classically beautiful. It's a proper, grown-up car and you certainly won't commonly see teenagers driving them. For me, the Evoque is a petulant, 16-year old girl who started screaming madly because she just saw Twilight, but YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I like that BMW sticks with classic, subtle designs. I don't want cars competing with the KIA's and Hondas of the world to look flashy and cool in some high tech Tokyo commercial and then totally out of place 4 years from now. A 20 year old 7 series still looks good on the road. The Evoque is much more likely to be the AMC Pacer of our day a few beats down the road than the X3 is. Now, if you like that kind of thing, great, enjoy it. I don't agree, though, that the path of companies like BMW is a reflection of a lack of courage, rather it's the courage to stay with their own vision. Seems to be working.
      02-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Traveling1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The vast majority of owners of SUV's , including the X3, buy them for the practicality of the extra room for passengers and cargo.
The Evoque is an ideal example of form over practicality.
Owner's will buy it for the unique look and overlook all the other short comings, until after the honeymoon is over then they will wonder what in the world possessed them to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I don't agree, though, that the path of companies like BMW is a reflection of a lack of courage, rather it's the courage to stay with their own vision. Seems to be working.
+1000 exactly my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling1 View Post
The vast majority of owners of SUV's , including the X3, buy them for the practicality of the extra room for passengers and cargo.
The Evoque is an ideal example of form over practicality.
Owner's will buy it for the unique look and overlook all the other short comings, until after the honeymoon is over then they will wonder what in the world possessed them to buy it.
+1
form follows function.
i chose the x3 in part because of its spacious rear seating and cargo capacity.

its styling is handsome, not pretty, and it will age gracefully.

some people are apparently attracted to the evoque for its style [which is not my style.] my observation, like yours, is that style is transient.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
When I was merging into my local highway going to the mall with a friend which was my usual route, I saw a LR Evoque going 50-60mph, so I quickly went into sport ++ mode and kicked back the gas, and almost 4-5 secs I quickly matched its speed and looked at the driver for a moment, eventually he tired to accelerate to race but it was to late :P, saw him behind my center mirror. In total we were going 75-90 mph. Until my radar popped I immediately slowed down to 65mph since the road limit was 50. So I still see the Evoque not slowing down, instead he zoomed across me,

Guess what. The cop was merging with Pretty lights pursuing him. I loled so hard and does my friend with excitement
      02-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I like that BMW sticks with classic, subtle designs. I don't want cars competing with the KIA's and Hondas of the world to look flashy and cool in some high tech Tokyo commercial and then totally out of place 4 years from now. A 20 year old 7 series still looks good on the road. The Evoque is much more likely to be the AMC Pacer of our day a few beats down the road than the X3 is. Now, if you like that kind of thing, great, enjoy it. I don't agree, though, that the path of companies like BMW is a reflection of a lack of courage, rather it's the courage to stay with their own vision. Seems to be working.
+10000. I also have to say i saw one for the first time this week too, men those wheels are so huge for such a tiny car, looks like a miniature monster truck, then that butt
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

One man's classic is another man's vanilla. The key thing is that LR/RR have a very distinctive functionally-based design language. The Evoque is an extension of the same design language which extends from the Range Rover all the way down to the Evoque. That design language has been in existence since 1948 so it would be hard to call it "fashionable".
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It's fashion and poor fashion at that. Remember the MR2 that looked like a miniature Ferrari? A real wow the first time you saw it. It's not endured, the fashion lasted how long? 3 months? That at least was a good design. Anyone with a ounce of style in their genes will not appreciate the Evoque except that perhaps it shocks as parts of it are so very ugly.
      02-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

As a designer I'd like to think I know a little about style.... The evoque is polarising with its looks, there is no inbetween hating or loving it. It should as no surprise on an X3 forum that there will be more negative comments than positive. I quite like it, but then I'm into challenging

It's style is undeniably derived from the blocky rangerover form, one that has been maintained for arguably longer than BMW, but you have to like that sort of thing. The X3 with its subtle curves is a more feminine smaller version of the x5, it doesn't matter what you do to it to try to change that. I do find the evoque more blokey for being so uncompromising. There is something a bit 'estate like' about the new x3 that sits uncomfortably with me. It's nut SUV enough if that makes sense.

Agreed the x3 looks better from behind.

*post is purely about styling and not performance or space. I am a DINK, and will remain that way so it is a hard choice. One we've delayed in the face of uncertain prospects in the banking sector.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting, I find the E feminine in light colours or at best metrosexual. The artists and designers in my family all hate the Evoque, especially the rear end.
      02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I really like the look of it (for me it would have to be the 4dr though, I can't get my head around the 2dr), I just wish it was 10% bigger in all directions, had six cylinder engine options and wouldn't fall apart...