BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Gripe about HUD

Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?
      03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe
Ok, I really love the heads up display and don't think I can live without it again, BUT... The HUD in the 2013 335xi is better, and I'd love to know why they aren't the same. Here are my "suggestions" to anyone from BMW who monitors the forum.

In the 335, the speed, navigation, radio scrolling, music choices, incoming phone ID - everything - is shown in the HUD. I never need to take my eyes off the road and can do all choices with my thumb on the wheel. In the X3, only the speed and navigation are shown. Radio and phone functions (anything that operates from the thumb wheel) are shown down in the instrument cluster - this is a poor location (have to look all the way down and refocus), and it duplicates the info on the control screen which is actually higher and larger font. The thumb wheel on the steering wheel is almost never used because it's easier and safer to use the control screen and the iDrive knob.

The less important item is that in the 335 the HUD speed is white during the daytime and orange at night - in the X3 it is always orange. Does anyone know why they made the decision to make them different? Is there some secret switch I'm unaware of that would make the X3 as good as the 335? And can it be coded to act the same?
The 335 is just newer technology.

BMW rises and falls with the specification. This specification usually only changes once at LCI.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Through coding you can get radio, turn signal, and phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
Through coding you can get radio, turn signal, and phone.
How do you get radio and other information on the HUD. I could only find turn indicators .
Appreciate 0