BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
ptopto9898
splskspf_900
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3 i28

I tested all three

Q5 is a hassle to purchase, dealers only want 'the one on the lot' to the highest bidder. Waited six months and got tired of playing their game. Also, couldn't get used to the HUGE side view mirrors. 2013 will probably arrive in 2014 at their rate of production...

Toureag gas consumption (non diesel) is terrible. Was trying to buy the diesel version but told that in CA, our diesel has a paraffin wax additive which is clogging diesel systems.

Never heard of the 2013 x3, just happened to be driving by a BMW lot, (didn't like the former X3', X5's). Sales guy convinced me to try a 2013, and loved it! No blind spot issues in the X3 as I am only 5'3. So far, no regrets. First car I didn't spend hours researching, did not intend to buy one and still managed to get a good OTD price.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
ericthedriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i (2011)

Q5 and X3 might be similar on specs, but you have to see the two brands represent very different lifestyles. I'm surprised that people don't discuss this when they shop for cars.

Audi has a very safe image. Its cars are mostly all-rounders. They all look great, on paper and in person. It's built for people who think they are tasteful, understated (not really true), and tech-savy. It's probably the most German out of the three German luxury brands. Audi cars are very nice, but quite formal. If you wear a suit and a tie, plus a blue-booth piece in your ear more than 75% of of the time when you drive the car, then by all means, get an audi. That's your car.

Bimmers are much more casual and quite forgiving of who you are and what you wear. You can be anyone driving an old 328 and people would just think you like driving cars. Because BMWs are mostly built as a driver's car. It's not just an advertisement. There's some truth in it. It's the least uptight and formal brands of the three Germans. When I and my wife were shopping for the small suv, we knew the q5 was excellent with very good resale value but we didn't even test it after sitting in its cabin. It's just not for us. We got x3 the next day.

Buying luxury cars are not about finding the best buys. It's about finding the lifestyle you want. And Audi and BMW can not be more different in this regard. Take a look at your overall style and you should come up with an answer within minutes. Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by ericthedriver; 07-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Typos!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I find the opposite about Audi drivers verses BMW drivers. Both brands have their share of auto enthusiasts but I find more superficial clueless people driving BMWs than Audi. Let's face it, if all you care about is image and know absolutely nothing about cars, you get a BMW. You don't get an Audi.

Plus, I remember seeing a USA survey where the average Audi driver earns a slightly higher salary than the average BMW driver. So when a customer buys an Audi, it's not because Audi has a better image than BMW or because they can't afford a BMW. There's something specifically about the car that attracts them to it. Whereas the brand whore runs straight to the BMW dealership, no question asked.

I just find the chances of running into a true auto enthusiast more with Audi than with BMW. Of course there's more auto enthusiasts driving BMW's than Audi's but that's largely because BMW sells significantly more vehicles than Audi. I'm talking about percentages and probability. I've talked more "car talk" with Audi drivers than with BMW drivers over my lifetime. Some of my BMW friends are still looking for the blinker fluid reservoir that I told them needs regular changing yearly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
ericthedriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
I find the opposite about Audi drivers verses BMW drivers. Both brands have their share of auto enthusiasts but I find more superficial clueless people driving BMWs than Audi. Let's face it, if all you care about is image and know absolutely nothing about cars, you get a BMW. You don't get an Audi.

Plus, I remember seeing a USA survey where the average Audi driver earns a slightly higher salary than the average BMW driver. So when a customer buys an Audi, it's not because Audi has a better image than BMW or because they can't afford a BMW. There's something specifically about the car that attracts them to it. Whereas the brand whore runs straight to the BMW dealership, no question asked.

I just find the chances of running into a true auto enthusiast more with Audi than with BMW. Of course there's more auto enthusiasts driving BMW's than Audi's but that's largely because BMW sells significantly more vehicles than Audi. I'm talking about percentages and probability. I've talked more "car talk" with Audi drivers than with BMW drivers over my lifetime. Some of my BMW friends are still looking for the blinker fluid reservoir that I told them needs regular changing yearly.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. All technical and lack of artistic passion.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO

Yeah I have to agree with you. BMW's are a little snooty without substance. The engineering pedigree is there, but the quality isn't. With Audi, there's more focus on everything, especially quality, even if it is at the expense of a little driving dynamics. Audi's are more sensible and satisfying to own, look at, and sit in.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
dathrilla
Rep
Drives: X3 20d on order

Audis are boring.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
We cross-shopped the X3 and Q5 late last year, then recently over the last month. We didn't look at a Tiguan because it's so much larger. The Q5 is a great looking automobile. It's hard to compare the two, because their styling is so different, but I think Audi makes some of the best looking cars on the road today. The thing is, I have to drive/use the car, not just look at it, so that's only one factor.

When we test drove the two last year, the X3 28i still had the inline-6, while the Q5 had the turbocharged inline-4. The Q5 felt more responsive. Even my wife felt the difference. Turbocharged engines are hard to beet for that responsive feel. Now that the X3 has the new N20 turbocharged engine, the Q5's turbo advantage disappeared. That's where all the other BMW elements stepped up and pushed the X3 over the top.

I found Audi's MMI controls horrific. It looks like button central on the center console. I'm a total geek, but I was put off by it. I also found the design elements of the MMI display and entertainment system lacking refinement. The updated iDrive looks like a more polished product, and I didn't have any problem getting around the system. It may simply be a matter of preference, but the Audi system was so ugly that I would actually avoid it if possible (it's not).

The final aspect was the way they drove. Like most BMWs, the ride and handling characteristics of the X3 were better suited to my preferences. The Audi had a lot more bob and roll to it. Under braking, I could really feel the Audi leaning forward. I dislike SUVs in general, because I like to feel firmly planted (135i is my daily drive). The X3 feels very well planted for an SUV.

We just placed an order for an X3 xDrive28i with the premium, convenience, and technology packages two days ago and can't wait for it to get here.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Everyone keep in mind that the 2013 Q5 comes with a refresh and a tuned-down version of Audi's award-winning 3.0T engine. A diesel engine will also be available in the States, something BMW has failed to deliver promptly. They've apparently managed to give the car a nimbler feel, however slightly, and unfortunately--like BMW--are going the electric power steering route which is reportedly devoid of any feel. The X3 35i will still beat the Q5's new supercharged V-6 from a dynamic standpoint, but the Audi wins in terms of luxury, comfort, and overall refinement. The MMI is in its fourth generation, now sporting just four menu buttons and four corner buttons around the knob. Also worth noting is a fresher design, more interior colors, and as before, a luxury package including a leather wrapped instrument panel and door pulls and ventilated seats.

I know I sound like a brochure, but the idea of that Q5 is starting to sound more attractive against the X3, a car that is insubstantial beyond its sport seats and super-powerful engines. I was always annoyed when I heard people saying that the X3 isn't a BMW, but now I understand. It's not refined enough, it's not reliable enough, and it's not exciting enough.

I think the problem with the X3--and other BMW models as of late--is BMW's unwavering desire to cover all bases. This car was designed to come with as few compromises as possible, but what we end up with is an example of BMW spreading itself too thin.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Here is my take on this. BMW is a drivers car. Mercedes is a luxury car. Audi is somewhere in between.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Q5 and X3 are both easier to spell than Touareg

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #33
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I was always annoyed when I heard people saying that the X3 isn't a BMW, but now I understand. It's not refined enough, it's not reliable enough, and it's not exciting enough.

I think the problem with the X3--and other BMW models as of late--is BMW's unwavering desire to cover all bases. This car was designed to come with as few compromises as possible, but what we end up with is an example of BMW spreading itself too thin.
I'm sorry that your experience with your X3 isn't a positive one. I guess getting its first model year didn't work out for you.

I also don't share your experience that X3s are not reliable, refined or exciting enough. While it's far from perfect, I find the F25 to have a still unmatched balance of practicality, fun, performance, tech and comfort. Yes, it's a "real BMW." And my car has had zero reliability issues.

I find Audi vehicles to be well designed...they just don't stir the soul. I'm sure the updated Q5 will be a worthy - yet uninspiring - competitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I completely agree, gone is the era when there were 4 ranges (3/5/6/7 series) and the cars were actually designed, developed and made properly. The new corporate strategy of a model for everyone has given us models like the X3 which are not up to the standards we have become used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I'm sorry that your experience with your X3 isn't a positive one. I guess getting its first model year didn't work out for you.

I've got a 2013 and agree with most of the points raised by juddholland.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
ericthedriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathrilla
Audis are boring.
And all of its models are trying so hard to be impressive nowadays. Audi is like HTC of mobile phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #37
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
I completely agree, gone is the era when there were 4 ranges (3/5/6/7 series) and the cars were actually designed, developed and made properly. The new corporate strategy of a model for everyone has given us models like the X3 which are not up to the standards we have become used to.
That sums it up perfectly.....................not up to the standards we have become used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #38
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685
I've got a 2013 and agree with most of the points raised by juddholland.
Sorry to hear it. Is BMW corporate addressing your concerns? My 2008 135i (year one of the one) was the most problematic car I've ever owned and was nearly lemoned. After many trips to the shop BMW fixed the issues and it never had any more problems after that, and I liked it. The US-made X3 is leaps and bounds, at least for me, a better made vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
Sorry to hear it. Is BMW corporate addressing your concerns? My 2008 135i (year one of the one) was the most problematic car I've ever owned and was nearly lemoned. After many trips to the shop BMW fixed the issues and it never had any more problems after that, and I liked it. The US-made X3 is leaps and bounds, at least for me, a better made vehicle.
BMWNA and BMWAG addressed my concerns when they replaced my car and reimbursed me for the lease payments I made when the car was in the shop for more than half a month at a time. They also encouraged my dealership to offer me a loaner free of charge for the seven week period during which I waited for my "second chance" X3 to be delivered to me. Then my "second chance" X3 arrived with the very same problems that plagued my first one. One by one, they crept out from every which corner of the car.

I'd resorted to believing that this was a widespread, all-encompassing 2011 model year issue. But then two of my neighbors came home with 2011 X3's (one almost identical to mine) with no problems at all--so they say.

I've decided that I'm the only one who drives while conscious, because that is the only reason why I could have been delivered two X3's with the very same issues in one year. There's no excuse for this kind of engineering mishap. And I can assure you, I haven't nearly enough Karmic debt to deserve this purposeful-seeming inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #40
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Agree there are too many BMW models. Take the X range:

X1: too small inside
X5: too big to be able to park in a car park easily
X6: too big outside and too small inside with a letterbox back window you can't see anything out of (looks very cool though)

What the range really needs is a car about the same size as the very popular original X5, not much bigger than a 3 series in length and width, with plenty of room in the back and a pretty big boot....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
What the range really needs is a car about the same size as the very popular original X5, not much bigger than a 3 series in length and width, with plenty of room in the back and a pretty big boot....
Doesn't that describe the X3 pretty well?

X3 length: 183.0 inches
3-series length: 182.5 inches
X5 (E53) length: 183.7 inches

X3 width: 74.1
3-series width: 71.3
X5 (E53) width: 73.7 inches

The new X3 is a reincarnated E53 X5.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Doesn't that describe the X3 pretty well?

X3 length: 183.0 inches
3-series length: 182.5 inches
X5 (E53) length: 183.7 inches

X3 width: 74.1
3-series width: 71.3
X5 (E53) width: 73.7 inches

The new X3 is a reincarnated E53 X5.
Er, yes, that was my point and why the X3 wasn't on the list

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBMWOwner View Post
Hi

Wanted to get your opinion on the three vehicles. Do VW and Audi still have reliability and quality issues?
You know, I can't be sure to be honest.

I never keep them long enough.

The '09 Q5 I had and the '08 A5 I had never had a single problem - I felt very safe in them - just the seats were terribly uncomfortable.

I've had an '06 Passat which turned out to be a LEMON -- and (2) EOS hard top convertibles - '07 and '09 - both plagued with problems.

So I would say Audi over VW - especially when it comes to sales, and service experiences and a better warranty!

But, BMW over either of those two.

See if you can do an overnight test drive with the Q5 3.2 - PRESTIGE. That's what I had and I loved it...

I hear the 2.0T is great though if you're looking for mileage, and you'll probably get those Audi MPG numbers --

The 2013 28i we have averages about 24-25 mixed driving; it's a small tank so we fill up a bit, but it is cheaper than filling up my old 2007 Mercedes GL, or any of the Range Rovers I've had - all had 26 gallon tanks of premium!

Test drive thoroughly my friend. If they won't allow an overnight test---ask to take it for the day - see if they have a demo or loaner they can give you; or at the very least an extended test drive for a couple hours. They have to work with you!!