BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

My Info

Okay, I don't get it. So far it seems that the only way to send an address to the car is via a desktop computer and Google Maps. Is it possible to send an address from Maps on an iPhone or iPad? I really, really want it to be possible. Seems like the question boils done to, does the car have an email address? (. . . and a Facebook page, and . . . )
      02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

The cars access is part of BMW Assist - that is the "email" address for the car, which is not accessible to you as you would normally do. The address in this case is your BMW Assist Account Name. The Google maps "Send" option should be accessible from any browser, so the actual device running the browser and Google Maps should not matter.
      02-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You can't access Google Maps from an iOS device -- it takes you to the maps application. The option there is "share" which isn't the same as Google maps "send" and requires an email address. So, I guess the answer is sadly, "No, one cannot send addresses to the car from an iOS device." What a bummer.
      02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Have you tried going to google maps in Safari and then clicking View in Classic (rather than View in Mobile default). This brings up the full desktop OS version of the site on your iPhone. May not be the easiest to navigate.

Failing that it should be something that the new iPhone apps to support 6NR may cover.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I lied, sort of. Tried Google Maps on the iPhone again and it no longer switches immediately to the maps app -- apologies for the bad info. Something changed in the last few months. Not yet able to find the equivalent of the "Send . . ." option on the desktop version. Will keep trying.

Hope you're right about the 6NR. Separately, I just realized today that the dealer said the insert wouldn't be ready for about a month. I'm wondering if that means that I hit the "production gap" between the old insert and the 6NR compatible inserts? Perhaps just being optimistic . . .
      02-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think you get the Send option on the watered down maps site designed for mobiles but when you switch to Classic view, you do see it. Whether it will actually work is another matter. I tried it with a 3G connection and it was dog slow but I could see the Send link.

Re. 6NR, my understanding is that it will be available from April as an accessory. There is an ongoing debate about this and no-one seems to know for sure.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Finally found how to switch to Classic as you suggested. Found a sample destination fast (on wifi), clicked the pin to get the options bubble, but then couldn't zoom it to read the options and make then big enough to select.

Hope the add the "Send" to the mobile version!
      02-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I had similar problems. It's very fiddly and you zoom in but it zooms the map not the border. Like you said, they need to add Send to the mobile version because you don't want to be messing around with zooming in and out to press links, even if it is possible.

Ultimately I think "send to car" is just a call to a web service with a message that contains the directions, so hopefully an iPhone developer will create an app for it

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Lots of people complaining about this here.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...214fbeab&hl=en

It seems that it did exist on google mobile maps and then they removed it. I smell a rat here. I think this is something that can be bought as a feature on a smart phone and they don't want people getting it for free. Similar to the free sat nav on iPhone issue which would mean no-one would ever buy TomTom etc

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

And some more history. It seems like Google have switched it on and off a few times whilst they have to tried (and failed) to fix it.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=430314

Appreciate 0