BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone regret not getting M package?

In canada it's about 2900, and I didn't want to spend that when I had other upgrades I planned on doing. Now, for all those who recieved or already ordered, do you guys regret not getting it? My only concern is the black paneling on the exterior of the vehicle. I find the car looks much more luxurious with it painted 1 color clean. Almost looks KIAish to have the black bottom.

Also, does anyone think it would be possible to paint over the black? Just curious, I know a garage here and they'd give me a great price, I'd leave the front bumper, I just want the back/sides to be solid. Would that even be possible to paint over or am I just out of luck?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

yes a good shop can correctly prep the bumper and paint them but it won't last as long as factory one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
hmmm.... not so sure about that. Those black plastic parts are a sort of ABS plastic that has a texture to it. It might be a challenging substrate to paint. I'm sure it could be done, but might not hold up well at all, resulting in fading, chipping, and flaking.

Look at the bright side of it though, while those of us with M Sport are being paranoid about chips and scratches, you'll have less risk of that. I think that is really the purpose, to put more durable material on an SUV in the areas where stones are most likely to impact.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
hmmm.... not so sure about that. Those black plastic parts are a sort of ABS plastic that has a texture to it. It might be a challenging substrate to paint. I'm sure it could be done, but might not hold up well at all, resulting in fading, chipping, and flaking.

Look at the bright side of it though, while those of us with M Sport are being paranoid about chips and scratches, you'll have less risk of that. I think that is really the purpose, to put more durable material on an SUV in the areas where stones are most likely to impact.
I guess it goes both ways then. But, why would there be more risk of chips/scratches on the bottom of the X3 vs the bottom of any vehicle? In Montreal, the bottom of my car (cayenne) always gets filled with like little black specs of tar or something that are impossible to remove so that would be the only plus to keeping the black. I'll bring it to a garage when my car comes in and let people know what their options are. Just wondering if anyone already looked at it..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

People paint these types of plastic with excellent results all the time. Just have a look at any of the Chevy Avalanche forums and you'll see some good examples. The first gen versions of those trucks had tons of plastic that many folks painted over.

There is a certain amount of prep work and a flexing agent MUST be used with the paint.

I think you could easily mirror the M versions painted surface in both looks and durability.

If you are worried about stone chips then you can have some form of a clear invisi-shield put on the lower painted pieces.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Keep the black plastic panels... I live in Quebec and had a white car with white low body panels, and it was a yellow-brownish mess to clean during winter.
Plus the rock chips were going right on the paint (where the X3 has black plastic)
I much prefer the SE than the M sport for this reason
Appreciate 0