BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

The most popular colour in France is …

… black.

After two weeks and 2700 miles in the south of France the colour count was (approx) :

Black : 11
White : 3
Sparkling Bronze : 2
Titanium Silver : 1
Mineral Silver: 2
Space Grey: 3 (one was on the same Eurotunnel crossing as me)
Vermillion Red: 1 (at customs on the way home and the first 3.0d I’ve seen)

The south of France is SUV land. Can’t believe how many Porsche Cayennes were on the road and Panameras, Bentleys, Ferraris and it will be years before I see as many X6s.

Driving that distance in the X3 was plain sailing. The car purred down the motorways and yet handled the twisty mountain roads with ease. Many people have commented on ride quality on this site but for UK members it’s the roads in England that make all the difference, they are incomparable with France. In France even the minor roads are smooth and when they aren’t the French apologise for the poor quality. As soon as you land back on the M20 motorway you realize how poor our road surfaces are.

The SatNav never let us down and was a great help escaping the motorways for cheap fuel. Mind you I didn’t need as much of that as expected despite being fully loaded. Outward and return journeys of 850 miles averaged 40 mpg with average speeds over 70 mph.

If counting X3s doesn’t ease the boredom of the motorways I can recommend hooking up the kids iPad to the auxiliary input to get great surround sound for films. It can be a little off putting when you hear sirens but it makes you see films in a whole new light.

With the holidays over the X3 was in desperate need of a good clean inside and out. The seats cleaned up easily but the sand … it gets everywhere.

One last thing. Those who remember me posting problems with condensation in the nearside front headlamp, it’s reoccurred twice, on both occasions after a heavy downpour. Allow two weeks to dry out or a 10 hour drive. Can’t be bothered going back to BMW before the first service.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
… black.

After two weeks and 2700 miles in the south of France the colour count was (approx) :

Black : 11
White : 3
Sparkling Bronze : 2
Titanium Silver : 1
Mineral Silver: 2
Space Grey: 3 (one was on the same Eurotunnel crossing as me)
Vermillion Red: 1 (at customs on the way home and the first 3.0d I’ve seen)

The south of France is SUV land. Can’t believe how many Porsche Cayennes were on the road and Panameras, Bentleys, Ferraris and it will be years before I see as many X6s.

Driving that distance in the X3 was plain sailing. The car purred down the motorways and yet handled the twisty mountain roads with ease. Many people have commented on ride quality on this site but for UK members it’s the roads in England that make all the difference, they are incomparable with France. In France even the minor roads are smooth and when they aren’t the French apologise for the poor quality. As soon as you land back on the M20 motorway you realize how poor our road surfaces are.

The SatNav never let us down and was a great help escaping the motorways for cheap fuel. Mind you I didn’t need as much of that as expected despite being fully loaded. Outward and return journeys of 850 miles averaged 40 mpg with average speeds over 70 mph.

If counting X3s doesn’t ease the boredom of the motorways I can recommend hooking up the kids iPad to the auxiliary input to get great surround sound for films. It can be a little off putting when you hear sirens but it makes you see films in a whole new light.

With the holidays over the X3 was in desperate need of a good clean inside and out. The seats cleaned up easily but the sand … it gets everywhere.

One last thing. Those who remember me posting problems with condensation in the nearside front headlamp, it’s reoccurred twice, on both occasions after a heavy downpour. Allow two weeks to dry out or a 10 hour drive. Can’t be bothered going back to BMW before the first service.

Are you bundling carbon black in with black, or did you not see any of those M-Sports? I haven't even seen a single M Sport, period, here yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I was going to say white because of all the surrendering and such...jk jk. Were you counting F25 or just the last-gen model X3s; I would think if it was the last gen as well the count would be much higher.
      09-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

very dirty color
Appreciate 0