BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
egwong2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Extended Warranty - is it worth it?

I'd love to get some advice on whether I should invest in a 5 yr, 101,000 mile warranty that covers mechanical, electrical and computer related issues. I have a 2006 X3 that is well maintained and has little mileage (under 45K miles). What are the big issues with the X3 as it ages - what can I expect will break down from 50K to 100K miles? The extended warranty is supposed to cost me $3600 for 5 years (not including any maintenance).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
lemfrisco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Silver Grey X3

I have 2005 X3. Bought with 59K and I bought extended warranty for ~$1800 3yr/36k. My fuel pump went out in 4 months. Warranty saved me $900.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
xthrunner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 x3

Guys help me if you can

I just bought a pre owned 2009 X3 with 46 K miles on it and the dealer whoi bought it from gave a 30 day warranty but i guess it would be better i get a extended warranty from a third party like Zurich or autovantage. What is your suggestion?which company covers a bumper to bumper warranty with maintenance at a reasonable price.Any suggestions?I am bimmer noob so please help out if you can.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Xopher
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0Si

I recently purchased a 2007 BMW X3 3.0si from a BMW dealership. W/ that came the remainder of the two year, 100k CPO warranty to which I am only @ 84k, the 10,000 mile; 10 month dealer specific warranty, and something else that I dont have the specific name of as paperwork is @ home.

Though work was done prior to my purchase from the previous owner @ the dealer (transfer case leak, front/rear brakes), I have since had the charging system (belts, pulleys, alternator, etc.) replaced due to the battery warning light coming on, and lifters replaced due to loud lifter tick. All of which was covered under warranty. It may also be a good idea to pay the couple hundred to get the full inspection prior to your warranty running out in order to get some things fixed that you may otherwise not notice until it's too late given they are deemed neccessary to replace/fix. Either way, it will give you a good idea as to whether the extended warranty is even worth the money.

As I learned w/ my previous BMW, it's best to get things taken care of while the cost is minimal before you find yourself stranded on the side w/ hefty repairs later.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

I may just be lucky....but personally I don't see the need for an extended warranty on these cars. They have tried and true proven technology.

The X3 is the 3rd M30 powered car we've had in our fleet and all three of them have been flawless to well over 100k miles.

Currently my X3 has 106k miles and has taken nothing. I'll be changing the rear brake pads tomorrow, but that is only $70. Hardlly worth almost $2k for a warranty. Just be proactive with maintenance and you'll be fine. Change the transfer case fluid, trans fluid, and diff fluid, drink a beer and call it a day.

These really are solid cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
bobinpa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3 3.0i

A little late to this thread but my take is I usually never go for the extended warranty but after spending $2k per year for repairs that would have been covered under warranty on my x5 (CCV/oil separator), control arms (twice), cooling system...I felt I was a heartbeat away from some sort of drivetrain/transmission issue with BMW's famous "lifetime" transmission fluid so I opted for a 3yr extension on my replacement...2010 x3. Last thing I want is a $2000 bill for a new panoramic roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
cagui1223
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3[E83]

My girlfriend bought an 07 X3 3.0 si used at 34,000 miles. No extended warranty.. Since then I've had to replace a number of things, all out of pocket:
Valvetronic actuator gasket
Valve cover gasket
Thermostat
coolant / oil temp sensor
Transfer case fluid
Front / Rear differential fluids
Coil packs for spark plugs.
Spark plugs
Leaking windshield washer fluid
Water pooled inside the vehicle in all 4 footwells.

Most of those would be covered under an extended warranty. Luckily I was able to do all the work myself and save me a lot of money along the way. Car is now just pushing 97,000 miles.

Part of me would've preferred an extended warrantly so I wouldn't have to invest so much of my time into fixing it up. Yet I've grown fond of the vehicle and know my way around it know.

Good luck on your decision..

- CA
Appreciate 0