BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Range of the key in Comfort Access

How far away from the vehicle does the key have to be to prevent someone unlocking the X3? Mine will be parked on the drive and the keys will be in the house but only about 20ft from the car. Would someone be able to open it?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

You need to be literally half a foot away from your car before you can unlock it and the key has to be in the vehicle to start it. You don't really have any worries.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Agree. Clearly under 2 meter (7ft).

Tried it with a friend. It's not like on that Top Gear "Road Trip USA" episode where they drove Hammond's car (a Challenger I think?) halfway to the other side of town and left it in the middle of the road.

EDIT: Here it is!
3:15

Last edited by RSchneider; 12-10-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchneider View Post
Agree. Clearly under 2 meter (7ft).

Tried it with a friend. It's not like on that Top Gear "Road Trip USA" episode where they drove Hammond's car (a Challenger I think?) halfway to the other side of town and left it in the middle of the road.

EDIT: Here it is!
3:15

That was exactly the scene I was thinking of.

I live in a "nice" area but we do have patches of car crime. Over the last 10years someone broke into our house and took the keys and our V70, and a neighbour had his M5 pinched in a similar way. I don't want to make it easy for them!

Thanks for the words of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

You can't start the car unless the key is inside the car. However, I am having problems today as it keeps detecting my wife's keys while I was opening the door even though my key is closer...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
You can't start the car unless the key is inside the car. However, I am having problems today as it keeps detecting my wife's keys while I was opening the door even though my key is closer...
Car knows who the boss it
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoyak View Post
How far away from the vehicle does the key have to be to prevent someone unlocking the X3? Mine will be parked on the drive and the keys will be in the house but only about 20ft from the car. Would someone be able to open it?
You have to be very close as others have said but I would still recommend never leaving the key near doors or windows in the house (even if not in sight), especially if you have comfort access (without CA you actually have to physically press unlock on the key). If professional thieves can get close enough to the key, they can potentially steal your car by relaying the signal to the car. And living in a "nice" area makes it more likely your car will be stolen as people in nice areas are more likely to have nice new expensive cars

Alarm the house downstairs at night and sleep next to your keys! Never leave your keys in an empty house unless you have a good safe.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0