BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #23
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Came out of work tonight and my rear hatch was open. I have the trailer hitch so it was for sure from the fob in my pocket. Going to pick up the above suggested case tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #24
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]

I have the M Performance key cover. In retrospect, I would recommend one of the more traditional leather ones. This one is a pocket lint magnet. I am using the Display Key in a leather case most of the time.
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
      02-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #25
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Wow it arrived today. Sure got a lot more than expected. Almost warrants an “unboxing”. Got an Allen wrench and a impressive USB dongle of some sort.

Clue: you’ll need a flashlight to get it back together.
Attached Images

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 02-22-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #26
sallu414
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Came out of work tonight and my rear hatch was open. I have the trailer hitch so it was for sure from the fob in my pocket. Going to pick up the above suggested case tomorrow.
I also have the trailer hitch, parked my car on the 2nd floor of the building. I live on the 20th floor, so either it opened itself or I hit the fob button between the car and the elevator. Going to see if it happens again and be super cognizant about the key fob between the elevator and car. Trunk was also open a different time, but at my parents house. Totally possible that I hit the fob button there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:43 AM   #27
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did pick up the BMW Key Case that was suggested and have had no further issues so for me it had to be the fob. The case does add some bulk but still fits in my front pocket fine and gives no discomfort when sitting.

Appreciate 2
XXX3154.50
      02-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #28
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I did pick up the BMW Key Case that was suggested and have had no further issues so for me it had to be the fob. The case does add some bulk but still fits in my front pocket fine and gives no discomfort when sitting.
No issues at all now since wife's key is protected from accidental activation. I haven't touched mine for a month as it remains in a small zippered lapel pocket and its proximity seems to be perfect up there. Not sure how I will use it in the warmer seasons yet, but there is really no reason to use it except for its symbiant interlock. I don't think I would ever place it in the forward console area while driving for fear of leaving it in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
David Arizona
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i M Sport Blue/Mocha

There is a fix available from BMW. Your dealer can reprogram the car so you need to hit first the unlock button and then the hatch button to open the hatch when the car is locked. I had this done on Friday because the hatch opened spontaneously twice since I purchased the car in November. Hoping this solves the problem.
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
      02-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #30
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiferes View Post
There is a fix available from BMW. Your dealer can reprogram the car so you need to hit first the unlock button and then the hatch button to open the hatch when the car is locked. I had this done on Friday because the hatch opened spontaneously twice since I purchased the car in November. Hoping this solves the problem.
You mean both buttons being on the remote right? I could live with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #31
Celt16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-trim Estoril Blue

Hatch issue

I notice that with FOB in my pocket - other keys keep setting off the panic alarm - my bet is you have a similar issue pressing a button inadvertently
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #32
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt16 View Post
I notice that with FOB in my pocket - other keys keep setting off the panic alarm - my bet is you have a similar issue pressing a button inadvertently
Absolutely. I trust the X3’s safeguards and really doubt that the hatch could just pop open like that without the fob being near, and without setting off the X3’s alarm system.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #33
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

On a related note, I’ve noticed there are key fobs with 3 buttons and some with 4 buttons.

Is it safe to assume all new cars ie.G01 ships with a 4 button fob?
Or is that 4 button fob for cars with the alarm?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #34
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
On a related note, I’ve noticed there are key fobs with 3 buttons and some with 4 buttons.

Is it safe to assume all new cars ie.G01 ships with a 4 button fob?
Or is that 4 button fob for cars with the alarm?
All part of the configuration maze. I noticed on that recent video review post here that in some instances the rear hatch itself only has the one close button.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #35
David Arizona
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i M Sport Blue/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
You mean both buttons being on the remote right? I could live with that.
Yes. You have to leave the car with the dealer for at least 2 hours so I recommend requesting a loaner car but they will do it for no charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #36
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Took my car in this morning about the contactless tailgate not working.
It seems to work on the extremities but not in the centre. They opened a PUMA case with BMW. Recommended testing with a control unit from another car and if that does not work, to replace the sensor. Back in two weeks (wait for a loaner and I have other things to do than go to the dealership). I will have my 2000 km oil change done then too.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #37
gotglasses
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Unhappy X3 Hatch opened in RAIN/snow

Why can't I close the hatch with the damned "smart?" key?
There should at least be a way to positively lock the rear hatch. Will the hard key do that for me?

Our new X3 got pretty wet after I sat down on chair at the ski slope - hundreds of feet from the car! Checked car on my phone and hatch was open! Tried to close it with my key, then phone, nothing. Came back to car later and hatch was open and car interior was wet. Luckily it was not vandalized.

The hatch has also opened while I was hosing off the road salt at the back of the car. The water spray opened it better than waving my foot under the bumper. Not happy about this. No point in all the security features if the hatch opens so easily. I would have gone Mercedes if I knew about this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #38
gotglasses
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Angry Hatch issue needs a factory fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
This is my ONLY complaint about the G01

The first time, the rear hatch opened when it was in the garage (closed), my wife came home and opened the garage door. Guess what happened? Yes the garage door caught the hatch.

The second time, it just plain opened in the middle of the night, and stopped itself via the garage door. I was pretty pissed.

I got the OEM key fob cover yesterday, hoping this will prevent any accidental presses.

The fob cover is very nice, but you also need to turn off your phone. The app can open the hatch from miles away with no way of closing it! If I knew about this problem I would not have bought this turkey. An X3 with an open hatch parked in NYC will last about 5 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #39
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotglasses View Post
The fob cover is very nice, but you also need to turn off your phone. The app can open the hatch from miles away with no way of closing it! If I knew about this problem I would not have bought this turkey. An X3 with an open hatch parked in NYC will last about 5 seconds.
I don’t see any options to open the hatch from the BMW Connected app.
It only has lock, unlock and turn on the headlights (I think).
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      03-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #40
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotglasses View Post
How on earth would you get your phone to open the hatch? There is no option in the Connected app not to mention if there was, how do you unlock your phone, open the app and unlock the hatch? If it was possible that would be a record butt dial.
Appreciate 1
cvee101.50
      03-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #41
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt16 View Post
I've had various functions trigger a number of times when I bend over to tie my shoes in the garage, from trunk opening, to doors locking, to panic alarm going off. Now I always take my keys out of my pocket first.

And last week as my wife and I were driving down a busy six-lane divided HWY at 50mph the panic alarm started blaring in the X3 - took some seconds for my mind to process as I started looking for warning engine lights and in the side and rear view mirrors for law enforcement, then realized the FOB must've just been pressing on another key in my pocket. That was a first!

Will probably end up getting the cover as focker did.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #42
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiferes View Post
Mini has a TSB out for the Countryman for this, it's TSB # 510916. I'm not sure if it's the same for the X3 though.

It says you have to press the unlock button twice and then the tailgate button for it to open once you've had the tsb done.
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      03-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #43
antixian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: car

Garage List
mine did this (i have late model f25 2017 x3) two times. came out to the car in the garage with hatch slightly open because the garage door was closed and keeping it from opening. however it wasnt touching - i do believe it did. i have some nice scratches where my wife came home and opened/closed the garage. this was like 1 or 2 weeks after i got it. 1st time i thought i did it. 2nd time i dont think so as i leave my keys on the counter. however maybe something got set on it? interesting to see others with similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #44
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antixian View Post
mine did this (i have late model f25 2017 x3) two times. came out to the car in the garage with hatch slightly open because the garage door was closed and keeping it from opening. however it wasnt touching - i do believe it did. i have some nice scratches where my wife came home and opened/closed the garage. this was like 1 or 2 weeks after i got it. 1st time i thought i did it. 2nd time i dont think so as i leave my keys on the counter. however maybe something got set on it? interesting to see others with similar issues.
For us at least, this has not re-occurred since we put the wife’s key in that BMW leather sheath. However, we have the rear hitch receiver and thus no toe sensor as a suspect, so it is possible I guess, that there could be dual causation. But I do believe that the fob would still have to be very near the vehicle for that sensor to cause a false opening. I trust the electronic interlock feature.

Does anyone know if there are multiple “near field” fob proximity sensors in the car, such as rear specific and door specific, or is there just one at a central location?

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 03-29-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0