BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Talking X3 Joy

Just wanted to comment that driving this SAV is like no other SUV I've ever driven. I've owned a full size Ford Bronco, Jeep Cherokee, Ford Explorer, in the past and yeah, I know comparing them is ridiculous, but still I was having so much fun going through some twisty's I just had to put it down in writing.

I slapped it into Sport+, pulled the gear change to the left, and just went for it.

For those familiar with the Bay Area, I shot out of the 92west-280south tunnel, delighting a 328i that hitched his wagon to my star and followed along for a spirited exit out of the long banked turn. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kings+...42.63,,0,12.94 (Double click through the tunnel on the pic to see how the turn looks in real life) Left the highway at Woodside road and did the Kings Mountain Road to Skyline to 92 loop. This road is great with tight turns and quick changes. Gorgeous redwoods on the sides too.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kings+...52.01,,0,12.04

Sport mode really tightens the steering and throttle up so I felt in ultimate control. The steering was responsive and gave great feedback. Very different from the parking lot ballet touch and feel it spends most of its days performing as a baby wagon. I could tell it wanted to stretch its legs and show me what it can do and it truly surprised me at how well it performed.

I can't wait to take it to Tahoe one of these days. This thing is going to tear those roads up.

That's my story.
      07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Good stuff. Agree that Sport mode on gearbox, Sport or even Sport + on DCC and the thing becomes a beast. It is great fun, done in the proper places, of course....
      07-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post
Just wanted to comment that driving this SAV is like no other SUV I've ever driven. I've owned a full size Ford Bronco, Jeep Cherokee, Ford Explorer, in the past and yeah, I know comparing them is ridiculous, but still I was having so much fun going through some twisty's I just had to put it down in writing.

I slapped it into Sport+, pulled the gear change to the left, and just went for it.

For those familiar with the Bay Area, I shot out of the 92west-280south tunnel, delighting a 328i that hitched his wagon to my star and followed along for a spirited exit out of the long banked turn. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kings+...42.63,,0,12.94 (Double click through the tunnel on the pic to see how the turn looks in real life) Left the highway at Woodside road and did the Kings Mountain Road to Skyline to 92 loop. This road is great with tight turns and quick changes. Gorgeous redwoods on the sides too.

Sport mode really tightens the steering and throttle up so I felt in ultimate control. The steering was responsive and gave great feedback. Very different from the parking lot ballet touch and feel it spends most of its days performing as a baby wagon. I could tell it wanted to stretch its legs and show me what it can do and it truly surprised me at how well it performed.

I can't wait to take it to Tahoe one of these days. This thing is going to tear those roads up.

That's my story.
Thanks for the tips. My wife works up in San Carlos and we took her '10 535i w/ sport up there. So next time I'm up, we'll try the routes out! Can't wait to take the X3 up there and over to Tahoe also. Maybe this fall. If I do take the X3 up, I think I'll try highway 25 from King City, instead of the 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post

That's my story.
GAH I'm so jealous that you have those great roads. I love chicago, but man I wish I had something other than paved roads with potholes on top of the rolling plains of yesteryear.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
GAH I'm so jealous that you have those great roads. I love chicago, but man I wish I had something other than paved roads with potholes on top of the rolling plains of yesteryear.
LOL. You can always get on the I-80 (Borman) and dodge the trucks. My wife is from Munster, IN and we lived for a while outside of Indy. Whenever we took a Sunday drive it all looked the same; no matter what direction we went.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
LOL. You can always get on the I-80 (Borman) and dodge the trucks. My wife is from Munster, IN and we lived for a while outside of Indy. Whenever we took a Sunday drive it all looked the same; no matter what direction we went.
-__-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Another convert. Welcome aboard.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Woo hoo!! Sounds great. So envious of the places you have available to drive there. I miss it and never drive there in a crlike this!

I'm a bit confused, though, how you had so much fun in the face of the wicked turbo lag and lack of responsiveness reported here . . .
      07-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Woo hoo!! Sounds great. So envious of the places you have available to drive there. I miss it and never drive there in a crlike this!

I'm a bit confused, though, how you had so much fun in the face of the wicked turbo lag and lack of responsiveness reported here . . .
We only go downhill
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I was down to Bloomington IN a couple of weeks ago (not THAT far from Chicago) and was pleasantly surprised by a 21-mile stretch of Route-46 between Bloomington and Nashville, IN. Once you get three miles East of Bloomington, Route 46 turns into nice radius sweepers or changing radius corners every 600 feet or so with plenty of elevation changes.

The X3 definitely needs to be in Sport or Sport+ mode. Intersections are few and far between as was traffic (at least during the mid-day when I drove it). Definitely 100 times better than the absolutely boring ride from Chicago to Bloomington. The area is hilly enough that the roads follow the topography, instead of the linear map boundaries we have further North.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I was down to Bloomington IN a couple of weeks ago (not THAT far from Chicago) and was pleasantly surprised by a 21-mile stretch of Route-46 between Bloomington and Nashville, IN. Once you get three miles East of Bloomington, Route 46 turns into nice radius sweepers or changing radius corners every 600 feet or so with plenty of elevation changes.

The X3 definitely needs to be in Sport or Sport+ mode. Intersections are few and far between as was traffic (at least during the mid-day when I drove it). Definitely 100 times better than the absolutely boring ride from Chicago to Bloomington. The area is hilly enough that the roads follow the topography, instead of the linear map boundaries we have further North.
Thanks for the tip! I finally understand the irony of your location "Mountains of Illinois!"

I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
ww8915
Brave Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i Alpine White

Talking DITTO

I picked up my BMW X3 28i last Tuesday. What a ride! I have driven a Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav 4, Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon and a GMC Acadia.
The X3 blows them all away.
I have also owned a Jaguar S Type, Mercedes E350, Cadillac DeVille and a Toyota Avalon as well as a couple of Chevy Impalas and a VW Bug

This is without a doubt the best handling car I have ever owned.
      07-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
faston
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe xDrive

I'm a fairly new owner myself (about 1 month) so I'm still getting used to all the modes, but isn't it redundant to put it into Sport+ and also 'pull the gear change to the left'? From my experience, putting it into Sport or Sport+ also changes the transmission shift points in the same way that pulling the lever to the left does. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Skyline!

Quote:
For those familiar with the Bay Area, I shot out of the 92west-280south tunnel, delighting a 328i that hitched his wagon to my star and followed along for a spirited exit out of the long banked turn. Left the highway at Woodside road and did the Kings Mountain Road to Skyline to 92 loop. This road is great with tight turns and quick changes. Gorgeous redwoods on the sides too.
That's an awesome piece or road! I've driven it a number of times in a 911 and it's a slice of heaven. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
I'm a fairly new owner myself (about 1 month) so I'm still getting used to all the modes, but isn't it redundant to put it into Sport+ and also 'pull the gear change to the left'? From my experience, putting it into Sport or Sport+ also changes the transmission shift points in the same way that pulling the lever to the left does. Am I wrong?
Possibly redundant. I was too busy having fun to worry about it.
      07-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Not redundant if you have sport mode on the DHP set change chassis only. In that case it oesn't change the transmission to sport, but moving the ger selector left would.