BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

An X3 Aftermarket Dashcam I Would Like to See.

My new X3 has multiple video cameras. In an instant I would buy a plug and play product that would utilize these existing cams in place of a dash cam. Surprised BMW does not offer this as an option and no aftermarket device is available. I perceive there is certainly a market for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Rik762
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Sounds like a sensible suggestion to me. Come on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
robe033
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 2023

Yes, I would like this too,,,,, Searched everywhere
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Certainly makes sense. However I'd imagine battery drain will be massive powering all of those cameras through the core system while in parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Certainly makes sense. However I'd imagine battery drain will be massive powering all of those cameras through the core system while in parking mode.
This is the biggest issue unless they mount a secondary battery (charged by the primary) , and used exclusively for the camera subsystem. Although possible, it would present a high overhead in terms of weight,cost and reliability.
You may have seen my musing about a dash cam and have bitten the bullet on the ddpai M6+ which has the ability to perform time lapse and park guard functions if a power source is left on .
The only power bank that can do this safely is the Cellink B battery pack.

http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/cellink_b/p...cellink_b.html
      10-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
This is the biggest issue unless they mount a secondary battery (charged by the primary) , and used exclusively for the camera subsystem. Although possible, it would present a high overhead in terms of weight,cost and reliability.
You may have seen my musing about a dash cam and have bitten the bullet on the ddpai M6+ which has the ability to perform time lapse and park guard functions if a power source is left on .

Agreed. ding ding pie all day long.

At £169 the price is a bit steep.

However, if you look at this site, there is another option.

http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/index.html

http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/accessories.html

http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/adata/powerbank/pv110.html

http://www.adata.com/product_feature_9_298_en.html

You would need to investigate how to set it up to operate it when you leave the car parked.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 10-28-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

@[Peter_R] - the power bank you listed will work, but there is no way to charge it and supply power to the dashcam at the same time. It would also mean swapping plugs each time you wanted the dashcam to use parkguard.
Not so much of an issue at the end of the day, but quite tedious if that functionality was required throughout the day,on frequent stops.
Having said all that, £32 is a lot more palatable than £169
      10-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

I do not agree power would be an issue, at least for my primary purpose of having an accurate post accident record and secondarily an actual speed record if I get a ticket. In all these cases the engine would be running and the electrical load of the camera would be of no consequence to the very robust X3 electrical system. A video record while the car is parked would consume energy no matter if an aftermarket system or OEM system is used.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I do not agree power would be an issue, at least for my primary purpose of having an accurate post accident record and secondarily an actual speed record if I get a ticket. In all these cases the engine would be running and the electrical load of the camera would be of no consequence to the very robust X3 electrical system. A video record while the car is parked would consume energy no matter if an aftermarket system or OEM system is used.
Not everyone has the same requirements for a dashcam. Many use it as just a witness camera in case they are involved in an accident. Others wish to have as a desirable feature the parking mode.

Agreed dash cams must consume power if they are active and can over a period of time slowly discharge a battery. Not a problem if you drive the car every day because as we all know the battery gets kept in peak state. That is why there are aftermarket electronic boxes that monitor the current drain and shut down the camera as it drains the battery when the car is used little. Also as we have seen in other threads there are power banks that are charged from the car and use this parking mode without discharging the car's battery. Desirable and essential for some but not for others.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post

I use a TPower battery pack for the camera on our X3. It's been solid.

To clarify on my earlier statement I just don't expect Bmw to ringfence the camera system from the rest of the idrive such that it can be powered independently. Keeping the rest of the system juiced to support parking recording will likely be the biggest hurdle
Appreciate 0