BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Need your suggestions folks on trading our X3

Our X3 front bumper got a new dent, our BMW garage give us an estimate for a fix (300 euros), we looking into moving to an X5 or Jag F-pace, therefore the need to check what we get for it from BMW and Jaguar, hence the question would you folks recommend we fix it before we venture on taking the car to Jag dealer for a trading value, or simply not bother, and factor the cost of fixing the dent when agreeing on the trading value?
Not an issue if we decide to stay with BMW, my dealer confirmed the dent will not impact the trading value more or less already established, but it is a garage we used for the last 10 years!
Question will 300 Euros dent impact on what we get from other dealers if we to show the estimate?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Our X3 front bumper got a new dent, our BMW garage give us an estimate for a fix (300 euros), we looking into moving to an X5 or Jag F-pace, therefore the need to check what we get for it from BMW and Jaguar, hence the question would you folks recommend we fix it before we venture on taking the car to Jag dealer for a trading value, or simply not bother, and factor the cost of fixing the dent when agreeing on the trading value?
Not an issue if we decide to stay with BMW, my dealer confirmed the dent will not impact the trading value more or less already established, but it is a garage we used for the last 10 years!
Question will 300 Euros dent impact on what we get from other dealers if we to show the estimate?
Nobody can give you a realistic answer because it is all down to the individual at the garage doing the deal and the cost to change to the newer vehicle.

300 euros is very little money when it comes to trading cars worth a lot more.

As the saying goes "how long is a piece of string?"
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

I would repair the bumper then take it to the Jaguar dealership. BMW says 300 Euros, but I guarantee the Jaguar dealership will say it's gonna cost 500-1000 Euros to repair, so they will deduct that much from the trade in value.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

for what it's worth, you'll enjoy the X5 more than the F-pace
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Do your homework before buying an F pace!

LOTS of problems appearing with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Do your homework before buying an F pace!

LOTS of problems appearing with them.
Yes + 1
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I am looking into that for sure, we are moving from the worst car we ever had our X3 is a perfect lemon as described by our dealer, one of the 1st produced back in 2011, I just had to replace the 3rd ABS sensor! I have few treads in this forum about the endless list of issues, never the less BMW looked after us.

The X5 is a strong option on the basis it is a 2 years old model, hence hopefully all sorted by now, we learned the hard way to never go for brand new model just out!
The F-Pace is coming to its 2nd year, it is a very good looking car, and will feel 100% new for us.

We being with BMW for the last 15 years, what I find now is that BMW is getting to volumes that are with no doubt impacting their brand value, resell value, I already see it with my 2011 F10, 2 million produced and my trading value is at a shocking level.

But I agree, I do believe the Jag dealer network is not up to the standard of BMW, plus being the 1st SUV the link to LR has to be on the strong side and hence worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Yes + 1
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #8
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

In my opinion, watching the forums, by having a lemon x3, you are very much in the minority.
However, with the F Pace, looking at the forums it seems almost all have some kind of issue.

I had an Evoque a few years ago, stunning looking car, nothing but issues from day one, never again.

However, its your money, good luck whichever way you go!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

I would not fix the dent. A reliable dealer knows that their bodyshop can fix it at low cost. If it would be 300 euro for you, it will only cost the dealer maybe 150 euro. What you should do however, is to tell the dealer right away that the car has a little dent. Than a good dealer will say: oh, never mind that. A bad dealer will say : oh, oh, Thats not nice, thats gonna cost.... (than you should walk away!).

Last year my father traded his 4 year old Clio for a new Captur. The old car had a few scratches and a little dent in one door. Because the car was not in mint condition, the dealer subtracted ....100 euro.

Why not look at a Audi Q7 or Mercedes GLE or GLS... better than a Tata, in my book.

Last edited by Portimao318; 10-06-2016 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks Endre, a very good point use the dent also to ge to evaluate how good the dealer is, I like it if they overestimate the work and hold on to their version it will be sign this is not the garage I want to come back to.

The Q7 in my opinion is ugly as hell, like a big box, I am not sure how they managed to screw the design on that car specially when Audi never change a lot from one car to another, plus Audis are simply overpriced Skodas under the premium façade the interior.
The Merc is an option not at the top for the very reliabilities issues they have, in my opinion they worse than Jag by miles, in my ex-company every one avoided them when down to the fleet of cars, I do believe they on a recovery path, but not sure if their yet. Plus the reports are that the same ZF gearbox is baldly setup, and not smooth at all, we also look for a sporty drive hence the X5 is good but may not be as good as the Jag down its height.

My worry about the Jag is the SUV element and the link to Land Rover, the F-pace is built in the new factory limited to Range Rover Sport and Jag XE, both cars out for couple of years, it will be interesting to see long term reviews on them as an indication of the quality, I do believe the production location matters, I do find the BMW’s produced in Germany higher standard than the one outside for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
I would not fix the dent. A reliable dealer knows that their bodyshop can fix it at low cost. If it would be 300 euro for you, it will only cost the dealer maybe 150 euro. What you should do however, is to tell the dealer right away that the car has a little dent. Than a good dealer will say: oh, never mind that. A bad dealer will say : oh, oh, Thats not nice, thats gonna cost.... (than you should walk away!).

Last year my father traded his 4 year old Clio for a new Captur. The old car had a few scratches and a little dent in one door. Because the car was not in mint condition, the dealer subtracted ....100 euro.

Why not look at a Audi Q7 or Mercedes GLE or GLS... better than a Tata, in my book.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #11
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I agree with you Kugaman the risks are high with the Jag 1st SUV, I have a supplement by Autocar mag on the F type and all be it different suspension and very different from the LR SUV, they share the same suppliers and chassis and factories. I am looking into the long term reviews for the Range Sport and Jag SE only cars produced at Solihull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
In my opinion, watching the forums, by having a lemon x3, you are very much in the minority.
However, with the F Pace, looking at the forums it seems almost all have some kind of issue.

I had an Evoque a few years ago, stunning looking car, nothing but issues from day one, never again.

However, its your money, good luck whichever way you go!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Get an X5 from your dealer and, if dealing with them, don't worry for the dent. If selling to anyone else, fix the dent first. Every buyer will try to hammer you on price for the dent.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

The dent provides an easy argument to reduce the price. I would personally want to make my car look its best if the trade value was expected to be a significant part of the transaction.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
The dent provides an easy argument to reduce the price. I would personally want to make my car look its best if the trade value was expected to be a significant part of the transaction.
I agree. Any dealer will try and knock the value of your car down, and sell you a new shiny one for maximum price, and hence his profit margin. €300 is nothing , so get it fixed and then go shopping.