BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by talko17 View Post
Also anyone know if carfax shows details for new cars? If it does, are the service guys required to document this information if the car hasn't been sold yet?
Carfax do not show any maintenance before the car is register, I am not sure if the BMW maintenance record will. I think your assumption is correct, it is not a simple fix. They probably had some helper change out the wheels already and it did not work, now they need a real mechanic to look deeper.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #24
DrHouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
If the car had been sitting in the lot for 5 months? Wound't it need some sort of engine stabilizer or something?
The engine oils and lubricants would be relatively "lean" (cannot think of some other words to describe). Maybe let the car idle for a while and let engine oil work around before the test drive would help.

That combined with cold deform tires might cause the vibration?

Just some thoughts, but wise decision to walk away if you have any doubts on the car.
Good point about oil!
Actually I was surprised how important it is when encountered similar problems with vibration …
Here’s the best advice: “Don’t add less or more than 5.3 liters of Synthetic 5w30 oil only.” Source: http://cararac.com/engine_oil/bmw/x3.html
You can check all the tips for oil for every engine type of X3 by following the link above.
Also if u’re changing the oil by urself u better use the official tools. This is the least u can do.
Consider getting smth from an official BMW site: https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...egoryID=164147
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:55 AM   #25
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I agree with the comments suggesting the tires likely have flat spots. Tires are particularly prone to this problem when a car is parked on the ground for an extended period with low tire pressure and exposed to temperature extremes. With a mileage of 3 miles this car likely had not been driven for many months. Your location suggests the tires would have been exposed to extreme temperatures during the summer.

The tires may return to round if driven 25 miles or so. The bigger concern is some flat spotting may be permanent.

http://blog.raceramps.com/whitepaper...nce-car-tires/

I would not consider the car unless the problem was resolved by the dealer. I would also want to examine the car closely after it has been properly cleaned and prepped. You might also ask for some additional concessions to justify a second drive to see this X3.
Appreciate 0