BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Exclamation Wheel And Tire Insurance: Must Read

Read carefully:

When the dealership offers you a wheel/tire insurance package for an additional 1,000 dollars, you take it! There are so many potholes in Chicago, and when we ordered our 535xi wagon three years ago (with 18inch summer tires, mistake), we did not pay for this package. After numerous new potholes showing up each winter, each day, one of our wheels finally broke. Yes, BROKE. We bought some new wheels (17inch Rial Como) from Tire Rack with winter tires, and that was that. HOWEVER, when it came time to give the car back at the end of the lease, we were reminded that our lease contract states that the car must be returned as it was when new. If there are any damaged parts, or aftermarket parts, you will have to pay for the car to be restored to its original condition. If we had gotten the insurance, we would have replaced the wheels when they broke, FREE OF CHARGE. Don't make the same mistake we made.

Also, if they offer a bumper touch-up coverage plan, get that too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1 on the tire and wheel plan

Didn't have it before, spent more on purchasing, balancing, and mounting three tires. Friend had it, worked great. Have it now!
      02-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

$1k? Wow.

What if we're financing the car...how much is wheel alignment/rotation/balancing @ the dealer, or is that covered in the 4/50k maint plan?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

My protection plan was $899.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's not covered in the maintenance plan.
      02-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
flash3
Captain
Rep

Anyway to negotiate this down to a lower price or for them to throw it in?

Also, what other "plans and services" do they sell you after they neg a selling price? aka, where they make their money.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The plan may have been less than 1000 dollars I am not entirely sure. I didn't care. Last time, it would have been 5000 dollars to replace the four wheels. I did not want to take any chances this time.

You have to negotiate it with your dealer. I assume each dealership has a different policy on how to handle maintenance upgrades not contracted through BMW Financial.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
flash3
Captain
Rep

Good to know. Before I place my order (which will be in late March, I am going to start a thread of "need to knows" before going to the dealer).

One would think the Maintenance they give included with the car would cover rotations/balancing since it's considered normal care of a car....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You don't need to rotate tires on these cars.
      02-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Good to know. Before I place my order (which will be in late March, I am going to start a thread of "need to knows" before going to the dealer).

One would think the Maintenance they give included with the car would cover rotations/balancing since it's considered normal care of a car....
You sign off on the maintenance deals and programs at the dealership when the car arrives, so it is not an option or accessory available for order online, although I'm sure you can consult BMWNA about what they permit dealerships to offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
You sign off on the maintenance deals and programs at the dealership when the car arrives, so it is not an option or accessory available for order online, although I'm sure you can consult BMWNA about what they permit dealerships to offer.
Ahh, so it's done when you pick up the car and complete all the paperwork?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You don't need to rotate tires on these cars.
Really? Care to enlighten me, please? This will be my first Beamer.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Ahh, so it's done when you pick up the car and complete all the paperwork?
Yes. But do ask your dealer about it before you place your order just in case the cost of the program superimposes the cost of an option you might then think twice about ordering.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

$1000 is ridiculous. I paid $799.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Yes. But do ask your dealer about it before you place your order just in case the cost of the program superimposes the cost of an option you might then think twice about ordering.
Most definitely will do. Hence, why I mentioned before I go to order/place my deposit for the car, I am going to start a thread for "needs to knows."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

In the little room with the finance dude . . . I don't like to dislike them, but that part is just a drag if you ask me. "What rate do you have? Well, we can offer you 0.5% higher and you can build loyalty points with BMW . . . ." Really? I haven't bought any loyalty points after purchasing 6 cars? And for a higher rate? You're really asking me to do that?
      02-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry if that read rude, wasn't intended that way -- was thinking "quick bit of info".

They just don't need rotations -- blew my mind. Went to the service center and asked how much it cost and how often. The service guy was actually taken aback as I must be the only rube in my area not to have known this. He nicely collected himself and explained that the car doesn't need to have it's tires rotated.

We've had 4 (and a Mini) now and it's true. They wear evenly and don't need rotating. You won't find it in the manual as a maintenance item. Good thing, too, for the split configurations where the front and rear are different sizes.

Handy to have one less maintenance thing to deal with!
      02-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the little room with the finance dude . . . I don't like to dislike them, but that part is just a drag if you ask me. "What rate do you have? Well, we can offer you 0.5% higher and you can build loyalty points with BMW . . . ." Really? I haven't bought any loyalty points after purchasing 6 cars? And for a higher rate? You're really asking me to do that?
I feel the same way. But people often don't realize that the dealers are very well aware of the position you are in to buy the car that you are buying. They know where you live, they know how you're paying, and they know how much you're paying. And when you're buying a BMW, compared to the rest of the working world, we're pretty lucky and financially capable people. They're all about perspective, and they will try to find just the right angle from which they can grab your wallet without you noticing.

As long as you make sure they know you are not to be pushed around, they will finally give up and reach some common ground with you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
ssbrad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i (arriving soon?)

This is a great thread - thanks for the information! Anticipating my X3's arrival in March (hoping earlier rather than later), I've started talking to my dealership's finance guy about the different options and costs. He swears that dealer cost is ~$1,200 on this insurance and I keep pointing him to threads like this one.

I'm still slightly on the fence on the purchase of the Insurance but this thread definitely helps push me in the direction of purchasing it!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Glad I don't spend my days doing that. I'm a simple "fair work for a fair wage" kind of guy. Not real keen on siphoning as much as possible out of another person's wallet by messing with their head. I suppose that has to be out there, but I wouldn't sleep well at night.
      02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if that read rude, wasn't intended that way -- was thinking "quick bit of info".

They just don't need rotations -- blew my mind. Went to the service center and asked how much it cost and how often. The service guy was actually taken aback as I must be the only rube in my area not to have known this. He nicely collected himself and explained that the car doesn't need to have it's tires rotated.

We've had 4 (and a Mini) now and it's true. They wear evenly and don't need rotating. You won't find it in the manual as a maintenance item. Good thing, too, for the split configurations where the front and rear are different sizes.
It didn't come out that way, at all.

Thanks. So no rotations/balancing but how about alignment? I am assuming it's included in the same concept, eh?

If the above mentioned aren't needed, then the tire/wheel warranty is more for protection of damage to the wheel/tire then it seems, correct? I am debating whether to purchase it or not, because down the line I'd rather use that $ to purchase better tires.

Thoughts are welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't know about the alignment. I've never had one come out of alignment, but maybe that's only 'cause I didn't swerve to avoid an accident and plow over three curbs.

The insurance bit is all about the wheels and tires and getting them replaced. A note I thought was important is that it doesn't matter which tires so long as they're properly sized. So when you get a new set, switch to Winters, etc. the thing still covers. Stupidly, I didn't ask specifically about the wheels (Winter set, etc.), so not sure about that.

I really like the RFTs. The safety and convenience advantages are outstanding. That said, they're certainly not cheap, particularly if you're a long way from home and need to get home. With all the construction (house and road) in my area and my previous "three tire experience" I'm enjoying not having to worry about whether every shiny thing I see on the road is a nail prepped to stick in my tire and ruin my day.