BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
the651jedi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
Kidney Grille Swap

I know this is an extremely simple DIY, but if there is anyone out there like myself, you like to see how somebody else did something (and probably made mistakes you can avoid) before doing it yourself. Plus I figure its a good way to give back to online forums that have kept me afloat through all my busted up car owning days.

I decided to go with the all black look. Not 100% sure about it yet but I'm letting it grow on me to see if it sticks. Regardless if you're looking to change out or maybe paint/modify your current set up, I hope this can help.

Also gives me a chance to open the discussion for black grills on BSM.

1.) Remove the rubber weather stripping

2.) Take a T25 screwdriver to remove the 6 screws holding the grilles in place

3.) Take a long and preferably skinny flat head screw driver and depress the 3 clips that hold the grille in. I started from the center and worked out. There are multiple other pressure clips, but these three actually need to be pressed in to release the grille. You can see the clip positions below.

4.) Gently maneuver the grille until it pops out. (It is pretty straight forward, just don't yank and twist because the plastic clips will probably just break.)

5.) Reverse process until you put the weather stripping back in. Easy.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Great work. Thanks for sharing👍
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
drewxnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Yes thank you for this! I am still debating whether or not to do it but at least with this I know it shouldn't be too hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Is there any need to pull the bumper forward to reach the top clips? I've read in old threads that after you get the screws off, you have to pull the bumper forward slightly in order to slide your hand behind the grill to pop the clips off.

Is this not so on the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Looks good, i decided to plasti-dip it instead =D

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Love the black grills, hopefully I will need this method soon.
      02-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
That's a good idea and presumably you can peel back to original if you wish.

I wonder why no one has wrapped them as this could also be changed back if needed. I have seen some great looking carbon fiber black wrap that would look good on them!

I have no experience of wrapping, but I wonder if they could be done without removing the grilles?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
the651jedi
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3
Is there any need to pull the bumper forward to reach the top clips? I've read in old threads that after you get the screws off, you have to pull the bumper forward slightly in order to slide your hand behind the grill to pop the clips off.

Is this not so on the LCI?
Nope. It was just as simple as the pictures are. No need to move anything on the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
the651jedi
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
That's a good idea and presumably you can peel back to original if you wish.

I wonder why no one has wrapped them as this could also be changed back if needed. I have seen some great looking carbon fiber black wrap that would look good on them!

I have no experience of wrapping, but I wonder if they could be done without removing the grilles?
I just recently tried the wrapping for my roof rack. It took a bit of learning but I think it could work. It would just be tedious getting all the individual grilles.

I'll post that DIY soon hopefully so people can learn from my many mistakes. Roof rack looks much better in carbon fiber though.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Read my experience as well:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231948
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
alleyooptroop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3

sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm about to attempt the grill swap. Just had a question about step 1 below, the removal of the weatherstripping. Does it just pull off like in the pic? is there anything holding it onto the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the651jedi View Post
I know this is an extremely simple DIY, but if there is anyone out there like myself, you like to see how somebody else did something (and probably made mistakes you can avoid) before doing it yourself. Plus I figure its a good way to give back to online forums that have kept me afloat through all my busted up car owning days.

I decided to go with the all black look. Not 100% sure about it yet but I'm letting it grow on me to see if it sticks. Regardless if you're looking to change out or maybe paint/modify your current set up, I hope this can help.

Also gives me a chance to open the discussion for black grills on BSM.

1.) Remove the rubber weather stripping

2.) Take a T25 screwdriver to remove the 6 screws holding the grilles in place

3.) Take a long and preferably skinny flat head screw driver and depress the 3 clips that hold the grille in. I started from the center and worked out. There are multiple other pressure clips, but these three actually need to be pressed in to release the grille. You can see the clip positions below.

4.) Gently maneuver the grille until it pops out. (It is pretty straight forward, just don't yank and twist because the plastic clips will probably just break.)

5.) Reverse process until you put the weather stripping back in. Easy.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Thanks for the photos and descriptions. Although I prefer OEM on my LBB car , I am thinking of wrapping the silver mirror caps and front winglets in CF.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

@alleyooptroop it's a push on fit, so get your fingers under it and prize away from the chassis. To replace, line up the plastic mounts and push down
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Bumping this old thread: How are you guys releasing the three clips on the bottom of each grille? The top three can fairly easily be reached when you remove those six torx fasteners, but I don't see any way to get to the bottom three.

Not sure if something changed on the design from whatever car was used to make this DIY but I am not seeing how these things are coming off without removing the bumper (which I can do, but it will be a PITA).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Bumping this old thread: How are you guys releasing the three clips on the bottom of each grille? The top three can fairly easily be reached when you remove those six torx fasteners, but I don't see any way to get to the bottom three.

Not sure if something changed on the design from whatever car was used to make this DIY but I am not seeing how these things are coming off without removing the bumper (which I can do, but it will be a PITA).
Did you read my post, just 4 above?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Did you read my post, just 4 above?
Yes, thank you for posting that. It was a bit confusing because you showed a picture of a hook-like object but your directions referenced special pliers (which I don't have). What did you use to make the hook? A coat hanger?

It's hard for me to imagine a coat hanger being rigid enough to release the tabs instead of just bending. The top ones seemed very stiff and it took quite a bit of pressure to release them even using a screw driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #18
Big geordie
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4 2.0 d m sport

Take a look on x4 thtread, it may help. once you have undone torx bolts and released top clips by prizeing grill gently forward. I bought aset of plastic trim removal tools on e bay, just the job, once you have released top clips, which is the hard part, now have easy access to bottom clips and use plastic tool to release, I say again PATIENCE is the Key, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #19
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big geordie View Post
Take a look on x4 thtread, it may help. once you have undone torx bolts and released top clips by prizeing grill gently forward. I bought aset of plastic trim removal tools on e bay, just the job, once you have released top clips, which is the hard part, now have easy access to bottom clips and use plastic tool to release, I say again PATIENCE is the Key, good luck.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I will take a look.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Yes, thank you for posting that. It was a bit confusing because you showed a picture of a hook-like object but your directions referenced special pliers (which I don't have). What did you use to make the hook? A coat hanger?

It's hard for me to imagine a coat hanger being rigid enough to release the tabs instead of just bending. The top ones seemed very stiff and it took quite a bit of pressure to release them even using a screw driver.
The PDF I posted was just a compilation of other people's guides. I used a $5 tack puller myself for the top and side tabs, and as I mentioned in my post

The one thing was that for the life of me, I could not get at the 3 bottom clips on the grills, and almost tore up my wrist in doing so. I have no idea how others have been able to do it. So I came up with this J shaped tool, which I made out of a small copper tube. And then the 3 clips came undone in like 30 seconds!

I think it was an old air conditioning tube or something in its old life. Yeah, it needs to be something stiff. Some coat hangers are thicker wire than others, so it might work for you. Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
The PDF I posted was just a compilation of other people's guides. I used a $5 tack puller myself for the top and side tabs, and as I mentioned in my post

The one thing was that for the life of me, I could not get at the 3 bottom clips on the grills, and almost tore up my wrist in doing so. I have no idea how others have been able to do it. So I came up with this J shaped tool, which I made out of a small copper tube. And then the 3 clips came undone in like 30 seconds!

I think it was an old air conditioning tube or something in its old life. Yeah, it needs to be something stiff. Some coat hangers are thicker wire than others, so it might work for you. Good luck.

Much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your insight and experience. I will give it a shot and see how I do. I'll follow-up here if I have any wisdom to add.
Appreciate 0