BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The current x3 is a blast to drive. Plus, from any angle, the x3 has substance. It's agile and not bloated.

The tech is brilliant and you can fit out the x3 nearly as you would the f01/f02.

The x3 is comfortable---a new feature BMW until recently, always lacked. Historically, BMW seats were deliberately a tad on the hard side to deter sleeping.

The x3 is stately and the roof rails add that extra dimension to its overall style that give it an darn near intimidating look and feel

The x3 steering is slightly over boosted and a touch bouncy, and it lacks the hardened slot car feel of the X1---you know, the X1 that requires two people in order to turn the wheel on a sharp turn.

But, the x3 handles like a car in the next tier. I am blown away by the aggregate feeling projected by x3.

This x3 has the options and the features that really diminish the advantages of BMWs higher tier cars. The x3 has the look and the feel that previously were only available in the 7 and the x5.

I really feel like the x3 has value. Yes, i am biased toward the roundel. My wife really likes it, but I don't think she understands why she likes it. So, I have to tell her---everyday. My wife tells me that I sound like a walking advertisement for BMW.

We opted for the oil burner. A masterpiece in Power Plant design. Please, anyone, everyone, I beg you to listen to me: Since the x3 is not an M3, you don't need a supercar motor. Please, if you're living in the states and you are looking at the x3, please consider a diesel. The low end torquey power is mind boggling. You will think you have a v8 as you scoot around town on the low end. The x3 diesel shouldn't be bought because you'll save fuel over time. Instead, by the x3 diesel because it's is its own unique sort of fun---and you will have less trips to the gas station too..

Now, the downside: I am not a fan of the new X1 interior. The new and upcoming x3 is probably SSDL. (Same sausage, different lengths). So, if you're like me, and you like the current design, then you'll need to find your next baby on a dealer's lot!!!
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

I agree with everything you wrote.

Diesel engine = best engine for day to day. Tons of torque, great efficiency.

New x1 interior feels cheapened by that depressing steering wheel and overall Ford level of design quality. The current LCI F25 combines simplicity with elegance.

The only thing, and this is really minor, are the rear tail lights. I mean, they could have thrown a couple of swooping LEDs in there during the LCI, no? The tail lights is where it falls behind the rest of it's design IMO

Can't wait to take delivery of my x3 2.0d xLine in September and thrash her through an alpine pass.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #3
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I was out in my X3, yesterday evening. Hadn't driven for a couple of days, and figured i would go see my dad.
Range Rover - despatched in comfort mode.
BMW 420d - bye in sport mode
Kids in a hot hatch - pfffff i didn't bother.

The power is amazing, the quality sublime. My best decision car wise. Period.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I agree with your point about the F48 X1. Somewhat of a huge disappointment. As I said in the "X3 vs X1" thread below, late last year we seriously looked at the X1 as a possible replacement for our very successful X3. Came away very disappointed after the test drives.

However there was one aspect about the F48 X1 that I hope is carried over into the G01 X3. That's the large underfloor storage area in the boot/trunk just right for a space-saver spare tyre. Gives you the very real option of ditching the runflats. And that's all I've wanted from BMW - the option.

Tony

Sorry - meant to add another point. While I agree against the F25 X3 the X1 is somewhat of a letdown, I don't agree that "BMW have shot themselves in the foot" with the X1. You have got to look at who the car is aimed. As I mentioned in the other thread I remember reading some PR material from BMW Australia who were saying they expect 75% of sales of the X1 to be made to people buying their first BMW. So the X1 doesn't have to necessarily appeal to existing BMW owners, but rather as an entry level luxury family car. On that score I believe the F48 X1 will be a great success - just not for us.

Last edited by brissim; 04-21-2016 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I think you make some very good points about the X3. I changed from and F30 to F25 X3 in March, and the X1 didn't enter my thinking. For the me the comparative models were the 5 series and 3GT.

I don't see models such the X1 or the 2 Active Tourer holding much attraction to seasoned BMW drivers. But I may be wrong....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
I think you make some very good points about the X3. I changed from and F30 to F25 X3 in March, and the X1 didn't enter my thinking. For the me the comparative models were the 5 series and 3GT........................
Its interesting you mention both the 5 series and 3GT. Our very successful 5 years with our X3 will be up later this year and have started looking around for possible replacements. While the "base case" is to hang on to the X3 for another year or more for the G01 X3, both the next generation 5 series and the LCI 3GT are also under consideration.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

The X3 was our first real car ...aka BMW ... - just never had the time or money or interest to look at cars before... my wife (even less interested in cars then me) , by chance, got to drive a new X5 across Europe and came back very excited by it!

So we looked at the X1 (too small) , X3 & X5 (too big) and as you have said found for us the perfect car. Yes im sure a 3.0d would be even more fun but even the 2.0d is a huge step forward in performance and comfort and economy.

We enjoy it so much that we will keep it till the new G01 X3 arrives and then may replace it, but meanwhile we have enjoyed a lot of dealer support (more then ALL the previous cars dealers put together!!!) and so replaced our 2nd car with an i3 - which around town is untouchable and so much fun to drive we just take it out for the hell of it!

But my daughter is keen on a 1 series or a mini (which is not a mini its a BMW small car) - and again she previously was uninterested in cars but actually is looking to get one so she will drive more and further! So Im not sure about shooting themselves in the foot as it is probably just a case of horses for courses - Every BMW I have driven (and yes my dealer is always keen for us to try anything new) has been great. SO maybe its just whats suits. and if I win the Lottery then the i8 will be mine!!!!!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim
I agree with your point about the F48 X1. Somewhat of a huge disappointment. As I said in the "X3 vs X1" thread below, late last year we seriously looked at the X1 as a possible replacement for our very successful X3. Came away very disappointed after the test drives.

However there was one aspect about the F48 X1 that I hope is carried over into the G01 X3. That's the large underfloor storage area in the boot/trunk just right for a space-saver spare tyre. Gives you the very real option of ditching the runflats. And that's all I've wanted from BMW - the option.

Tony

Sorry - meant to add another point. While I agree against the F25 X3 the X1 is somewhat of a letdown, I don't agree that "BMW have shot themselves in the foot" with the X1. You have got to look at who the car is aimed. As I mentioned in the other thread I remember reading some PR material from BMW Australia who were saying they expect 75% of sales of the X1 to be made to people buying their first BMW. So the X1 doesn't have to necessarily appeal to existing BMW owners, but rather as an entry level luxury family car. On that score I believe the F48 X1 will be a great success - just not for us.
Hi Tony,

Of course, you're correct about the X1.

However, allow me to clarify:

My point about BMW shooting themselves in the foot has nothing to do with X1.

Instead, my point (that I obviously failed to make clear) was that BMW shot itself in the foot because the x3 virtually steps on the higher tiered cars like the x5 and the f02 7.

I drive a 7'as my daily driver and I have been lucky to have been driving the 7 for nearly 15 years (e66 and f02).

When I get out of my 7 (2015) and get into my wife's x3, it feels like a lateral move. It definitely doesn't feel like a step down. The 7 is more clingy and less bouncy, even for this big brute. But, I say BMW shot itself in the foot because the x3 is so refined. If you had no idea about BMWs products and you drove a f02 7 and a tech laden x3, you would find that most uninitiated drivers would price these cars very similarly. That's because the x3 is so well built. The x3 diesel has that BMW magic in all four corners. Perhaps, partially due to the f02 having been overpriced. Lol.
Appreciate 0