BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Not sure this applies to BMW cars, but I suspect it will. BMW motorcycles use the electrical supply system to communicate with the computer and check for faults. If the parameters of the component are of spec, it can interfere with this system. Perhaps that's what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
Cactus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
That's exactly why they were a no brainer for me. I think once you've owned a car with xenons, it's difficult to go back.
I agree! When I drive my wifes car with halogens now, when the high beams are on I keep thinking I've only got the lows on.

They are WELL worth the extra money if you drive any at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
The F25 has 4 xenons, woe be to u should u need to replace them the costs aint funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
Usually the outside set are Bi-Xenon used for headlights and full high beams. The inside pair are usually halogen bulbs used for flash to pass high beam. The rings are lit using LEDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayio View Post
when you have bi-xenon installed, inside pair is dummy unless you have the adaptive lightning pack also which allows the car to light a flank when turn. But I doubt you have this adaptive lightning pack as a separate option from the bi-xenon feature in the US/Canada.
wrt topic - only xenon!

I can only tell you how they work on my 335i.

I have the bi-xenon on my 335i and the inside lights are not dummy lights, they are used for flash to pass lights in Canada. That is when you pull back on your high beam switch the inside lights will come on while you hold the switch. Thus you can flash these lights to notify the vehicle in front of you that you are going to pass. If you move the high beam switch forward to the ON position it uses the outside bi-xenons for full time high beam use. On models prior to 2009 the inside lights were also used as the daylight running lights, but the rings are now used for this in Canada as daylight running lights are required by law here.

I also have the adaptive lighting, standard with xenons on my 335i, and it does not use the inside lights at all during a turn, it moves the outside xenon lights into the turn.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 01-17-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0