BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Sound clicking from the back near the trunk? help identify please

I might be a bit paranoid here but there is clicking sound or squeak sound rather at the back of my car when my car reverses from the drive way or going through small bumps.

I have brought my car in before they said they couldn't find anything.

any idea where I should ask them to check, i do remember there was a thread about it, but it's too long ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

The cargo area trunk cover?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Could be cargo area trunk cover. Test by removing. We did this and it was the cover. Fix was simple - used some felt sticky pads (the type you put under chair legs to help them slide smoothly on hard flooring) between the contact areas between the cover and the plastic seating each end...there was actually marks where they meet which I used as a guide to place the pads.
Also placed tem on the steel pin which locates the cover.
Only had to do this on one end - near side (left in UK) as this is the only place the clicking/ticking was coming from.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
Could be cargo area trunk cover. Test by removing. We did this and it was the cover. Fix was simple - used some felt sticky pads (the type you put under chair legs to help them slide smoothly on hard flooring) between the contact areas between the cover and the plastic seating each end...there was actually marks where they meet which I used as a guide to place the pads.
Also placed tem on the steel pin which locates the cover.
Only had to do this on one end - near side (left in UK) as this is the only place the clicking/ticking was coming from.
Hope this helps.
thanks guys,

you think you can provide me with some pics?

Im going to take off the trunk cover and take it for a spin around my neighbour when i get home
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
SR40X3
Private
Rep

Yep, do the test first if you don't mind. If that's it will endeavour to do some pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
Yep, do the test first if you don't mind. If that's it will endeavour to do some pics.
just took a small break from work to look at the car, how do i safely remove the cover, it feels tight.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
SR40X3
Private
Rep

Yep it's tight...you'll need to look in manual but pretty sure you rotate it, the face nearest you up towards roof. Obviously retract te fabric roll out cover first!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

i just took off the cover, the sound is still there, i guess the source of the sound is from somewhere else.

any idea guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

found this in the other thread http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...highlight=felt

Quote:
I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.
anyone one can provide me pics of what he's talking about?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Have similar issues. Still not sure where it's coming from, since it comes and goes.

Try driving a bit with open hatch, to see if it is tailgate related. (Just don't hit an underpass or something ... )
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

AHHHHH THANK YOU. Sorry for the thread Necro but this has been driving me insane on my F34. I put some padding on those spots and it's gone. Now I just need to actually adjust the stops to permanently fix it.

I've spent hours padding everything in the car before I found this.
Appreciate 0