BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Interior bike rack?

I have a first gen X3 with the interior bike rack option.
I don’t see this option on the new X3, but was wondering if there are plans for this or if I could retrofit my existing rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I would also be very interested on this
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

anybody find anything on this yet? My $500 accessory voucher is burning a hole in my pocket!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

I’m still waiting for delivery. Hopefully I’ll get my new X3 in the early this week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will come today.

The interior bike rack I have from my old X3 is one of the first things I’ll check, and I’ll make sure to post the results here.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I have a first gen X3 with the interior bike rack option.
I don’t see this option on the new X3, but was wondering if there are plans for this or if I could retrofit my existing rack.
I want it for mine too. Wonder if a 3rd party might make it?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Why not just get a board, maybe 6" x 40", bolt down 2 fork mounts like these: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCwQ8wIwAA#

You could easily paint the board to match the interior. You would load the bikes rear end first and then clamp down the front forks to your new mounting points. Can be done for about $40 and a little time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
I’m still waiting for delivery. Hopefully I’ll get my new X3 in the early this week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will come today.

The interior bike rack I have from my old X3 is one of the first things I’ll check, and I’ll make sure to post the results here.
This is for the old model, do not know if it works in the new X3, might call and see later..

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/x3/bike_rack.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn007 View Post
This is for the old model, do not know if it works in the new X3, might call and see later..

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/x3/bike_rack.htm
I can't see why that wouldn't work with the new X3 if you got the storage package. The rails look similar. If you have rack now, I would just take a rail into the dealer and test fit it on one that they have on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
I can't see why that wouldn't work with the new X3 if you got the storage package. The rails look similar. If you have rack now, I would just take a rail into the dealer and test fit it on one that they have on the lot.
I'd love to do that but none of the local dealers have demo X3's.

I should know in a couple of days when my car arrives.
It was released to the carrier April 30th so it should be soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'd love to do that but none of the local dealers have demo X3's.

I should know in a couple of days when my car arrives.
It was released to the carrier April 30th so it should be soon.
Keep us updated

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
Why not just get a board, maybe 6" x 40", bolt down 2 fork mounts like these: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCwQ8wIwAA#

You could easily paint the board to match the interior. You would load the bikes rear end first and then clamp down the front forks to your new mounting points. Can be done for about $40 and a little time.
thats an option, and I've used those in the past, but the setup that locks into the recessed rails seems much cleaner and more functional...also with the track that you set the rear wheel on would make it that much more secure. Using a board could result in hacking up the sides of the bed if/when that board moves around, which will happen unless it is a perfect fit...hoping the new version shows up soon. The previous generation version looks like the rails are set a bit wider, so unless the bolts are adjustable, it may not fit, but tough to tell from photos...if anyone can check this, that would be great.

For now, my large frame 29" wheel mtn bike fits fine laying down with the front wheel off (key requirement which I confirmed during test drive) so that is what I'm doing so far...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
thats an option, and I've used those in the past, but the setup that locks into the recessed rails seems much cleaner and more functional...also with the track that you set the rear wheel on would make it that much more secure. Using a board could result in hacking up the sides of the bed if/when that board moves around, which will happen unless it is a perfect fit...hoping the new version shows up soon. The previous generation version looks like the rails are set a bit wider, so unless the bolts are adjustable, it may not fit, but tough to tell from photos...if anyone can check this, that would be great.

For now, my large frame 29" wheel mtn bike fits fine laying down with the front wheel off (key requirement which I confirmed during test drive) so that is what I'm doing so far...
Yes, I think the rails are a bit wider, so I’ll either have to drill out new holes or just use one side alternating from left to right on the front and rear cross rails. This should provide enough stability as the longer rails that hold the bike will still be secure.

The only thing I’m concerned about is that the slope of the roof / hatch on the new X3 will be too much to accommodate the bike. I have a feeling it will work though.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

It Works!

The old interior bike rack from the first generation X3 works in the F25 2011 X3.

The rails are a bit narrower, but even with one side of the cross rails attached it is still very stable once the bike holders are attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Uppie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 28i

Can anyone tell me the part number for the knobs that hold the rack to the interior rails?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Interesting... Looks like you need to drill the other side - correct? Also looks like you could get maybe 2 but not 3 side by side in there - with the 60 part of the seat folded down?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Interesting... Looks like you need to drill the other side - correct? Also looks like you could get maybe 2 but not 3 side by side in there - with the 60 part of the seat folded down?
Drilling a hole in the other side really isn’t even necessary.

The bike holder rails provide stability completing a hard connection point at all 4 corners.

It actually makes installation a tad easier as you only have to feed one end of the cross bars into the rail slots.

Not sure about 3 bikes, I will depend on the handlebar width.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for this!

There's no custom F25 interior bike rack available yet tho is there? Still worth picking up the last gen one tho

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Thanks for this!

There's no custom F25 interior bike rack available yet tho is there? Still worth picking up the last gen one tho
Yes, there is no custom one for the F25, but the one for the first generation works just fine…..
So go out and snatch one up before they run out of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

I recently took delivery and also located two gently used, and relatively inexpensive prior generation X3 interior bike racks. However, my bikes simply will not fit under the roofline because the handlebars are too upright (had to switch from racing style bikes a few years back). Best to make sure the bike can fit in an upright postion (with front wheel removed) before investing in an interior bike rack. Guess I'll stick with carrying them on the roof. Other than buying a new set of "feet" for the integrated roof rail, the rest of my Thule components fit fine. I had a 335XI and really liked that the roof rack fit into a slot in the roof that was covered by a small panel.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

That must be one tall bike!
Although I have a racing style bike (actually that’s a cyclecross frame) you can see from the pictures I posted how much room there is from my handle bars to the roofline.

But you’re right, measure before buying.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #21
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legaleagle4 View Post
I recently took delivery and also located two gently used, and relatively inexpensive prior generation X3 interior bike racks. However, my bikes simply will not fit under the roofline because the handlebars are too upright (had to switch from racing style bikes a few years back). Best to make sure the bike can fit in an upright postion (with front wheel removed) before investing in an interior bike rack. Guess I'll stick with carrying them on the roof. Other than buying a new set of "feet" for the integrated roof rail, the rest of my Thule components fit fine. I had a 335XI and really liked that the roof rack fit into a slot in the roof that was covered by a small panel.
hello Legaleagle4,
if you are interested selling a bike rack, send me a private message with your email address.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Hello Bigblackwolf. I am very new to the forum and have not yet posted enough to be able to PM. Need to have 5 posts.
Since I could not use an interior bike racks, I did not buy either of the ones I located. If you are looking to buy one, please reply and I will send you the information on the sellers that I found.
I expect to be able to do PM in another week or so.
Appreciate 0