BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Question BMW Universal Protective Rear Cover

Anybody have any experience with this one or any others they recommed for dogs and hauling stuff in the back that might damage or scratch the interior? This would be for use when I have the cargo space full and need to put a crazy labrador retriever in the back.

This comes up as an F25 accessory however in the picture it's not an F25 so I'm wondering how well it fits.

Not the prettiest thing for sure, wish it came in other colors and it's kind of spendy but I figure it could save me from doing more damage to the seats or trim etc... Right now I'm using a quilted moving blanket but that thing slides all over on the leather and doesn't stay put. looking for something durable and stationary that will protect the entire back seat for when I have the cargo space full as well.

I'm kind of on the fence about this accessory maybe there's other 3rd party back covers that are better?

Here is the BMW one.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3274

BTW I tried to search this forum for this topic but get this error.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 402653184 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/admin/domains/bimmerpost.com/public_html/forums/search.php on line 1158
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I got this one from Orvis for my crazy Labradoodles. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=10578
I have Black Nevada leather and ordered the slate color. The underside is nibbed (sp?) rubber/vinyl(?) so it doesn't slide around as much and the top is quilted microfiber for their traveling comfort!

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-02-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's some installed pictures. Let's see I got my car in the picture, my dogs and now if I could only add beer and audio system
Attached Images

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-02-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

okay - that is really neat
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I have the E9x version of the pet cover (and no more E9x's in the garage). Used it often for our German Shepherd and it was great. One of the zippers finally broke when I folded down the split rear seat like an idiot without unzipping it all the way (user error). But aside from that it would last a lifetime. What I really liked, versus the generic covers, is that you also get the door covers to keep drool and claws off the door panels.

Not cheap - but a good cover.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Fortunately I don't have to worry about side protection. The big brown male just lies there with a "deer in the headlights" look and drooling like mad. While the young little female just sits there and looks at him with a "what a wimp" look.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey wow, thanks everyone! this site is so great for info... love the pics of the labradoodles too!

I'm gonna definately look into getting one of these. I'll might go for the one with the sides, not so much for the dog but for whenever I need to cram a bunch of some stuff in the back that might scratch it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I had the BMW one for my 325 years back. It was a bit of a pain to put in and remove -- not the sort of thing you fold in the trunk and quickly pull out and toss in the back seat in a couple seconds. Worked very well, though. Blocks the foot well so they don't slip off the seat (though there were little gaps by the door). Protected the doors, which was good for me 'cause the one gets excited when it's time to get out and can't resist pawing at the window/door. With the bathtub-like construction it did seem to get warmer back there so had to crank the AC up to keep them cool. No big deal, though. The material was sturdy and that seemed to keep nails from poking through and such (part of the reason it was harder to install). From the picture the F25 version looks very similar. Perhaps it's updated to install more easily. I've been thinking about getting for long trips so I can have the dogs nearer me and the AC and the stuff in the back.
      06-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Here's some installed pictures. Let's see I got my car in the picture, my dogs and now if I could only add beer and audio system
COOL dogs!!! Is the cover the universal rear seat cover from BMW? I ordered one from the dealership and will pick mine up this week. I have a golden doodle. He is very good in the car, doesn't drool, scratch or move much. But when I go on road trips, like to throw him a few treats here and there to keep him entertained so hopefully the cover would be handy so I don't have to vacuum the crumbs too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Waterman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 XDrive 28i

X3 Universal rear seat cover

Did you like the one from BMW with the sides to protect the doors?

How do the side pieces attach?

Does it block the heat/a/c coming into the rear seat from the back of the console?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...ubcat_id=10578
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Did you like the one from BMW with the sides to protect the doors?

How do the side pieces attach?

Does it block the heat/a/c coming into the rear seat from the back of the console?

Thanks
This is the BMW with the sides. The side pieces are attached by zippers. As you can tell from my picture, I didn't zip up the middle part so the a/c can peek through a little on hot summer days. But usually I zip up everything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey all... haven't been on the forums in a while but just wanted to let you know I ended up getting the universal cover a while back and love it. Works great for the dog and loading in other stuff I don't want to scratch the wood on the doors, side panels or seats especially while driving sporty .... will try to take pics later if I can.

Don't know about the AC as we've had a pretty terrible summer up in in the NW, hasn't really got all that hot yet to notice a difference when it kicks on.

However, I did notice a difference in sound with the premium sound while demoing surround sound. As a happy accident I randomly grabbed the first dvd that wasn't blu-ray off of the shelf and it was Toy Story 2. The opening scene of that movie is an incredible demo for the surround for sure, makes the car feel like you are in an earthquake at times. Anyway I demoed that a couple times before I got the cover, then another time after and noticed the sound was slightly muffled by it.... still sounded great but not quite as good without the cover.

Overall the universal cover is working great for my needs and I don't have to worry about the back interior getting all scratched up as I drive around with all my drums and stuff stacked up in the back seat as it shifts around when I corner etc... Also with the dog it works great when you unzip the flap and fold it outside the door to let the dog in, it kind of protects the door way from nail scratches as the dog jumps in.

I definitely recommend it if you have pets or are hauling around other equipment in the back seats regularly.
Appreciate 0