BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

UK M-Sport spec question

Hi,

About 6 weeks ago I took delivery of a new X3 2.0D M-Sport. In the last week I've noticed a coupe of things that appear to be wrong but just want to validate with other members here.

1. I spec'd the high gloss shadowline for the door trim and roof bars. All appeared fine but when I washed the car the other day I noticed that the trim on the rear part of the rear doors on both sides was a semi gloss black and not high gloss the same as the trim between the front and rear doors or like the roof bars. On my previous X3 E83 this was high gloss all round. Can someone tell me if this is wrong ?

2. Just today noticed after looking at photos of other members cars that my accelerator pedal is just the normal Matt black pedal and not a stainless steel M-Sport pedal. I've just checked the PDF file I downloaded from the BMW car configuration when I originally ordered the car and that shows a stainless steel pedal. This is still the same on the car configurator today on their website, although no mention is made of the pedal its just shown in the mocked up photo of the interior. Again can some comment on whether this is wrong or not?

Thanks
Andy
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

I have a U.S.-spec X3 MSport x35i (Jan-2013 build):
- Gloss black looks the same all around but can't be 100% sure looking at it in garage with little light and a bit dirty.
- Brake pedal is black rubber and Accelerator pedal is hard black platsic. Only the footrest is stainless with M logo.
      03-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

Taken delivery of identical car today. Your car is the same as mine. The problem is that BMW fail to adjust some of their pictures and detail for the UK market. Consequently the spec you see in pictures and read about is not always accurate for the UK and is more likely USA spec. I thought I was going to get a dipping mirror in reverse and a boot lid that raised when I pressed the button on the key. Neither are present. BMW needs to get its spec. info sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla
Taken delivery of identical car today. Your car is the same as mine. The problem is that BMW fail to adjust some of their pictures and detail for the UK market. Consequently the spec you see in pictures and read about is not always accurate for the UK and is more likely USA spec. I thought I was going to get a dipping mirror in reverse and a boot lid that raised when I pressed the button on the key. Neither are present. BMW needs to get its spec. info sorted.
Thanks. Do you have the same issue with the high gloss shadow line trim?

Btw my passenger side mirror does dip when reversing. The auto boot raise is part of the comfort access package I think. It was about 300 GBP extra. In hindsight I wish I'd paid it but was concerned I may open the boot and inadvertently hit something with it.

Thanks to the first reply as well
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep

Will check the high gloss. Looks like I need to check the mirror again--I may have done something to disengage it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Much appreciated if you can check. I've asked the sales guy as well and sent him a photo, so waiting for his response.

I agree the spec and images are misleading. I will ask about the pedal as well anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep

My car is as you describe yours regarding the high gloss. Guess that is the way it is meant to be. My passenger side mirror is refusing to dip. Is it a standard feature or do you have an option which includes it?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, I will still progress this with the dealer to see what they say.

The only option I ordered regarding wing mirrors was the exterior folding and dimmable option. It could be that but I suppose but I'm sure it would be a standard feature. It may be a programmable change. I'll have a look in the idrive menu
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok I think I may have sussed it.

The idrive vehicle handbook tells you under Mirrors>Exterior>Parking Position

You need to have the mirror select switch over to the right so the drivers mirror is selected (for UK models anyway)

The passenger side mirror should then dip when reverse is selected. This doesn't work when the mirror select switch is over to the left.

The drivers side mirror never dips which I guess is because you would park against a kerb in the direction of the traffic but would be nice as well. Maybe this can be changed with key programming etc but not sure

FYI I have the automatic transmission so not sure whether this makes a difference or not. Shouldn't really but it's BMW

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

believe u only get dipped passenger mirror if you get the folding mirror option...could be wrong though
      03-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
believe u only get dipped passenger mirror if you get the folding mirror option...could be wrong though
+1. I don't have folding mirrors, and I don't have dipping mirrors :-/
Poor specs from BMW. They could probably sell more extras if they explained them in more detail.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Poor specs from BMW. They could probably sell more extras if they explained them in more detail.
In fact, thats exactly what I told in my "review" that BMW harrassed me to fill up recently after I took delivery.
Their 'laid back' sales technique is very nice, however, I had to do all the footwork myself, and research /everything/ to realize the value of the various options (thanks to some of you guys too). Even little thing like "extra storage" giving you a heck of a lot more than you'd expect...

One thing tho, my handover mentioned the switch position to get the dipping mirror, and quite a few other bits (most of them I already knew due to the online video but...)
      03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Really? I can't see why it's part of the auto folding and dimming as it's linked to the electronic adjustment of the mirror, not the dimming or the electronic ability to fold in. Are you certain you don't have it and it's just not working (could be linked to the L/R switch that controls the mirror adjustment not switching it on?)

Option is described as

Quote:
Exterior mirrors, automatically dimming, folding. Light sensitive, fast reacting dimming effect reducing glare from following headlights. Exterior mirrors fold in to protect from damage when parked or negotiating narrow gaps.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep

According to my dealer, the dipping mirror will only work if you have the folding mirror option. Can't find any literature where it states this but unless someone proves this is inaccurate, will have to go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
According to my dealer, the dipping mirror will only work if you have the folding mirror option. Can't find any literature where it states this but unless someone proves this is inaccurate, will have to go along with it.
Ever since my mate told me his new 3 series still came with a cassette player as standard and you had to pay for a CD player - many years after CD players were standard in pretty much every other manufacturer - I have known that BMW don't give much away!

The paradox is that they don't describe the options properly and perhaps if they did, more people would spend (even) more on options. And also dealers often know nothing about the tech in cars despite much of it being the same across the whole range. Spend a couple of hours learning it guys and then you'll make more commission. No brainer.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The paradox is that they don't describe the options properly and perhaps if they did, more people would spend (even) more on options. And also dealers often know nothing about the tech in cars despite much of it being the same across the whole range. Spend a couple of hours learning it guys and then you'll make more commission. No brainer.
agreed.. if i knew extended storage came with the cubby hole by the driver's side and rear cup holders.. would have gone for it...
      03-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy View Post
Hi,

About 6 weeks ago I took delivery of a new X3 2.0D M-Sport. In the last week I've noticed a coupe of things that appear to be wrong but just want to validate with other members here.

1. I spec'd the high gloss shadowline for the door trim and roof bars. All appeared fine but when I washed the car the other day I noticed that the trim on the rear part of the rear doors on both sides was a semi gloss black and not high gloss the same as the trim between the front and rear doors or like the roof bars. On my previous X3 E83 this was high gloss all round. Can someone tell me if this is wrong ?

2. Just today noticed after looking at photos of other members cars that my accelerator pedal is just the normal Matt black pedal and not a stainless steel M-Sport pedal. I've just checked the PDF file I downloaded from the BMW car configuration when I originally ordered the car and that shows a stainless steel pedal. This is still the same on the car configurator today on their website, although no mention is made of the pedal its just shown in the mocked up photo of the interior. Again can some comment on whether this is wrong or not?

Thanks
Andy
It would be interesting if you could post a pic of the problem with the high gloss shadowline so that we can accurately compare?
      03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, will post pictures in the morning
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
I thought I was going to get a boot lid that raised when I pressed the button on the key. Neither are present. BMW needs to get its spec. info sorted.
You only get this option if you ordered the power tailgate.
      03-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
agreed.. if i knew extended storage came with the cubby hole by the driver's side and rear cup holders.. would have gone for it...
Yep, me too. Also, every time I park the car, get out and look at the white lines and see I'm not perfectly equidistant and straight, I wish I had got the top down camera. I think that was more me saying over £12k of options was enough than lack of information though

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pictures below:

High Gloss between front and rear doors. This looks like how I would expect it to. I.e. Shiny

Same trim on passenger side on rear door. Semi gloss look.

Same trim on driver side on rear door. Semi gloss look. Excuse my reflection
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #22
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

I think mine's the same as yours. Had a look last night, and it was the first time I'd noticed that the finish at on the B and C pillars don't quite match - the B pillar is high gloss but the C pillar is a less shiny black; not quite matt, but it's not the same.

My car was built August last year, so can only assume that all MSport's are the same.

I consider myself anal about my cars, but it's not something I've noticed before now. I suppose if I've gone this long without noticing, it's not something that I'm going to let bother me.