BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

X3 over an RR Evoque?

Im looking for a replacement for my Mercedes ML, i need a smaller suv, so far, looking at the RR Evoque vs an X3.

Looks wise, evoque wins but im having doubts about ownership experience and quality since i never had a Range rover before, always been a Benz/Bmw customer...any inputs as to why i should go for the X3?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Please use the search, many existing threads on this, here is a good one

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648541
      03-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Can of worms lol

It's a tough choice, still struggling myself. A decision is imminent though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Go for the X3

I did, out of curiosity, look at the Evoque. It is a beautiful car but besides that the X3 (IMHO) has it completely beat in every other respect.
Better performance, reliability, quality of materials materials (though Evoque is quite good), better resale, better ownership experience, and in my opinion looks classier and more serious. The Evoque give me the impression of being more of a frivolous fashion statement that might age quickly.

Now if you want to go off-roading in the mud and rock climbing on a regular basis, the Evoque might have one up on the X3, but in that case what you would really need is a RR Discovery.

Btw, the Evoque is really cramped, especially in the back. I'm 6'3" and found it too small.

And, I just ordered an X3 35d!

Last edited by Chris55; 03-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Agree with your assessment of the Evoque, Chris55
I had a Freelander 2 before ordering the X3 and having liked the Evoque since the concept version, I thought it would be a natural transition for me to go for it once it was launched. I almost put in a deposit for the Evoque but after delibrating, I agree that it much smaller than the X3 and Freelander 2.
It is well built with high quality of interiors but as Chris says being 6ft1 somehow felt it was a bit too small even in the front with the panoramic sunroof.
The boot is much smaller too and overall, would like to think it in a completely different class of car to the X3. Maybe other people have a different opinion but I would compare it with an X1 or a Q3.

If it is a case of doing some serious offroading, the Freelander 2 and Evoque would be superior than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Does anyone take their brand new whatever for some serious off-roading?

I must remember to take my nice new Alpine White 35D for some serious off roading the day I take delivery so that I can say "Doh, wish I had bought an Evoque" ... Even stuck in a swamp I think I would prefer the X3. Of course that's easy to say till your actually stuck in the swamp ... I am guessing the Evoque would probably be stuck too though ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

weighing things...the evoque is eye candy for me whereas the X3 is downright bland, too safe, too predictable, it looks utilitarian and nothing more. but the practical side of me says the X3 has predictable performance and long term usability.

so its a toss between fashion vs function...oh well
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

In my personal opinion, I wouldnt call the X3 interior as "utilitarian" at all. Yes it isnt as funky (for want of a better word ) as the Evoque but by no means is it inferior quality.
A Freelander 2 interior is what I would call utilitarian and in need of a serious upgrade.

The more I think of it the more I feel that once the initial attraction of the new car wears off, I might not like the Evoque as much whereas with the BMW, I would know I will keep enjoying the experience.

But each to their own .. everyone has their preferences and all of the choices are correct in their own right.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I will never take my $65k car off road so the determining factor was the test drive where the x3 excelled.

The rr is a much nicer car to look at but the larger size of the x3 makes it much more practical.

Last edited by lbjgh; 03-12-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I dont think 90% of X3 owners will take their cars off road.
It is good to know that with the 4x4 system and HDC, there is that safety net if required.

If however, the determining factor is 4x4 capability then the LR brand is better. But agree, few of the people who buy an Evoque will ever take it off the tarmac.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I sometimes take my Jeep off road into the fields to do the horses ... and when it really counts and I really really need it to do its 4 wheel drive stuff … its sucks!

Once the winter comes and the field is a mud pit and I assume I need something with a proper diff lock and mud tires … and that ain’t happening.

In its defence it has regular tires ... but then 98% of my time is spent on tarmac.

I am guessing that *IF* I need to go in a field with the X3, I will be able to ... and that the things that stumped my Jeep will more than likely stump my X3 and probably the Evoque too …

But even if we assume because it’s a RR that it would have done better swimming in mud, it still doesn't make up for the difference the other 98% of the time!

And until I have dented and bashed my new X3 through bad luck or carelessness, it aint going anywhere near a muddy field, a ditch, rocks or fallen trees!

... in Alpine White no less!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I sometimes take my Jeep off road into the fields to do the horses.
In America, they'd put you in jail for that.

That reminds me. Here's a true story. Some guy in a town near me was arrested because he was caught foddling his neighbor's horse private parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yuk ... Thanks for sharing.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfrom07 View Post
I dont think 90% of X3 owners will take their cars off road.
It is good to know that with the 4x4 system and HDC, there is that safety net if required.

If however, the determining factor is 4x4 capability then the LR brand is better. But agree, few of the people who buy an Evoque will ever take it off the tarmac.
90 perecnt? You are being extremely generous. If one out of every thousand X3's built sees significant time off road I will eat my hat.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes I am being generous I agree. It will be slightly more than 90%

As must be the case with a lot of others, I chose the car for the overall driving experience of the X3 over the Evoque.

Only another 2 months to go before I get mine
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think that its kinda funny if someone would pick the evoque because its nicer looking suv then go taking it off road..

I have seen only 2 out in the streets so far and both drivers were female....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I did, out of curiosity, look at the Evoque. It is a beautiful car but besides that the X3 (IMHO) has it completely beat in every other respect.
Better performance, reliability, quality of materials materials (though Evoque is quite good), better resale, better ownership experience, and in my opinion looks classier and more serious. The Evoque give me the impression of being more of a frivolous fashion statement that might age quickly.

Now if you want to go off-roading in the mud and rock climbing on a regular basis, the Evoque might have one up on the X3, but in that case what you would really need is a RR Discovery.

Btw, the Evoque is really cramped, especially in the back. I'm 6'3" and found it too small.

And, I just ordered an X3 35d!
I agree with you on all fronts except where you mention the quality of materials. The Evoque, being a Range Rover (not a Land Rover), ensconces you in premium oxford leather, brushed aluminum, and polished wood. If my X3 could have an interior with those materials, I'd be happier. The soft-touch dash is nice, but it's not leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Separately, in the off-road debate, I'd try to extract as much power and torque as possible from the Evoque. It's dreadfully underpowered. If I could bring the power up to 300 bhp, it would prove to be a strong towing buddy.

But then again, if I really wanted to go off-road and tow on an Evoque budget, I'd get a fully loaded Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. Build quality and materials are on par with Land Rover.

And if I had all the money in the world, I'd just buy a Range Rover Supercharged and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Why does everyone say the Evoque would be better off-road?

The X3 looks more like a sport UTILITY. The Evoque looks more like a fashion statement.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

Am I the only one that finds the Evoque ugly??
      03-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I really liked it to start with ... But each day it looks more deformed ... I am going off it.

Of course that is probably more to do with BMW screwing with my DNA once I gave them my deposit ...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Why does everyone say the Evoque would be better off-road?

The X3 looks more like a sport UTILITY. The Evoque looks more like a fashion statement.
youtube search for the evoque. The car is like a mountain goat using street tires... range rover/ land rover has the off road pedigree. BMW has the road-going cred...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
Am I the only one that finds the Evoque ugly??
Maybe. Do you find the X3 a beauty? Maybe it is your eyes. I purchased the x3 for reasons other than its styling.
Appreciate 0