BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
M4st3r_ITA
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 f25 2.0d - ordered!

6NK / 6NF and Snap-in adaptors

While waiting for the delivery of my F25, due in June, I'm gettin a little confused about multimedia / bluetooth accessories: 6NK option (extended bluetooth functionality with USB) allows the installation of all types of snap-in in the side ("base"/"music"/"media"), or you must also buy 6NF option?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's very confusing! This may help

http://www.bmw.co.uk/images/brochures/BMW_X3_New.pdf

This suggests you can add 6NF to 6NK IMO BUT it also says you can add 6NF to ZXF (pro media) which is strange as I have pro media but don't need option 6NF in order to use an iPhone snap-in adaptor.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
M4st3r_ITA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It's very confusing! This may help

http://www.bmw.co.uk/images/brochures/BMW_X3_New.pdf

This suggests you can add 6NF to 6NK IMO BUT it also says you can add 6NF to ZXF (pro media) which is strange as I have pro media but don't need option 6NF in order to use an iPhone snap-in adaptor.
Thanks ... here, in Italy, there aren't any "pro media" package, but the ZXF you've mentioned is the same I've ordered in mine X3 (w/out online access) then, from what you say, it seems possible to use the snap-in adapters without ordering other options ... but in my opinion, I hope to be wrong, without the package 6NF you can only use the snap-in "basic" (charging and connecting the phone to the external antenna car), the others ("music" and "media)" need the optional mentioned above.
Can anyone confirm or deny?

@sfax: could you kindly take and post here a shoot of your armrest?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4st3r_ITA View Post
but in my opinion, I hope to be wrong, without the package 6NF you can only use the snap-in "basic" (charging and connecting the phone to the external antenna car), the others ("music" and "media)" need the optional mentioned above.
You might have a point here. This might be the mystery behind the problem other people have had with no sound when their phone is in the cradle and they are playing music? I won't know for sure in my case until I get my new iPhone 4 next month - I have a 3G which doesn't fit at the moment

Quote:
@sfax: could you kindly take and post here a shoot of your armrest?
Will do, no probs

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
M4st3r_ITA
Rep

Quote:
You might have a point here. This might be the mystery behind the problem other people have had with no sound when their phone is in the cradle and they are playing music? I won't know for sure in my case until I get my new iPhone 4 next month - I have a 3G which doesn't fit at the moment
Uhm, perhaps they just have the "basic" cradle that just charges the phone and uses the external antenna, but in any casae via-bluetooth it's strange that they don't hear any sound

Here are the codes for the three adapters:
- Basic 84212199389 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...f9fc7cf9a3a888
- Music 84212199390 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...-4--music.html
- Media 84212199392 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...-4--media.html

Also please notice that "music" and "media" snap-in adaptors, are only available from March.

Quote:
Will do, no probs
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Uhm, perhaps they just have the "basic" cradle that just charges the phone and uses the external antenna, but in any casae via-bluetooth it's strange that they don't hear any sound

Here are the codes for the three adapters:
- Basic 84212199389 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...f9fc7cf9a3a888
- Music 84212199390 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...-4--music.html
- Media 84212199392 http://www.salesafter.eu/product_inf...-4--media.html

Also please notice that "music" and "media" snap-in adaptors, are only available from March.

Thanks
I think they had sound with bluetooth but no sound with USB. If I connect my iPhone using the standard USB cable, I can play music but can't try with the cradle yet.

Thanks for the links. 4 weeks seems in keeping with what I've heard elsewhere which was early April for the media cable for iPhone 4

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
ScottX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

My X3 has 6NF and a 3G/3GS media adaptor part number-84.21-2 158 683-01.

It does not play music via the adaptor. It does via the 30 pin apple USB cable (legal) or via bluetooth (which is illegal to do if the car is out of Park in California - you can play with car knobs all you want while driving, but it is illegal to touch your iPhone while driving.)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

But you're okay if you wanna chow down a bacon cheeseburger while driving, or do your makeup -- just don't touch the phone!!
      03-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post

It does not play music via the adaptor. It does via the 30 pin apple USB cable (legal) or via bluetooth
Interesting. So what does 6NF actually give you then? Is it just a physical connection for the audio when speaking on the telephone, and if you don't have 6NF it uses bluetooth streaming for audio?

Scott, if you switch off bluetooth can you still speak on the phone when its in the cradle?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post

It does not play music via the adaptor. It does via the 30 pin apple USB cable (legal) or via bluetooth
Interesting. So what does 6NF actually give you then? Does it just mean you can talk on the phone without streaming the audio via bluetooth?

Scott, can you make a call with bluetooth switched off and the phone in its cradle?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
M4st3r_ITA
Rep

Quote:
Scott, if you switch off bluetooth can you still speak on the phone when its in the cradle?
I'm pretty sure that bluetooth is necessary to talk on the phone also when it's in the snap-in adapter.

If ScottX3 is really sure that he has the 6NF option, it's really strange that its iPhone 3GS does not transmit music when installed in the cradle
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

This link suggests that 6NF is needed for an MP3 player on a phone - see image.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...16563&start=40

I'm a bit annoyed about this because the dealers are completely clueless and I wasn't aware that I needed this on top of £2,500 worth of pro nav.

This doesn't explain why ScottX3's setup isn't working but I think it does explain some of the other problems people have had with no sound - but I might be wrong.

It's not a big deal for me because I don't keep any music on my iPhone, but I would have liked to have the option

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #13
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Is the position this:

Without 6NF you have a choice - get a snap-in adapter which links the phone to the car's antenna and charges the battery. Phone connects to car by bluetooth and also uses this bluetooth connection for media (because you can't plug the phone in to the USB port), OR, don't bother with the snap-in and then you can plug the phone into the USB to establish the media connection. Phone still connects via bluetooth but you won't be linked to the car's antenna (better if you can) or charge the battery (doesn't worry me at all).

6NF closes the loop on all this i.e. you can get a snap-in adapter which connects the phone to the car's antenna and charges the battery. It also provides direct link via USB for media so you get all the functionality that goes with the direct link (album covers etc). The phone, however, still uses bluetooth to connect to the car.

Hope this is right. If so, won't bother with a snap in and will link my iphone via USB for the media functionality and rely on the phone's antenna.

I have had a look in the US owner's manual I downloaded and this doesn't shed any light on it.

Last edited by DJ Daddy-O; 03-16-2011 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #14
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

bmw_usb_audio_information_2009_en.pdf

Haven't read in detail but think this makes things clearer
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

At a basic technical level, I'm surprised that any iPhone snap-in adapter behaves differently to connecting via a white USB cable. If the car can play music on the iPhone through USB, why does it matter where it's plugged in?

All that should change with a snap-in adapter is the addition of a signal boost through the car's aerial. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case and this PDF (in keeping with BMW, it's still on their website but hopelessly out of date) seems to confirm that you need 6NF to play music using a snap-in adaptor

Quote:
The "Extended connection of the MP3 player in the mobile phone" (option code 6NF) can be used for selected mobile phones with a suitable USB snap-in adapter to access the music data stored there.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
M4st3r_ITA
Rep

Quote:
At a basic technical level, I'm surprised that any iPhone snap-in adapter behaves differently to connecting via a white USB cable. If the car can play music on the iPhone through USB, why does it matter where it's plugged in?

All that should change with a snap-in adapter is the addition of a signal boost through the car's aerial. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case and this PDF (in keeping with BMW, it's still on their website but hopelessly out of date) seems to confirm that you need 6NF to play music using a snap-in adaptor
Uhm... I think i'm gonna take a basic snap-in adapter and use the bluetooth connection to play music.

What are the really differences between using the iPhone with the white cable plugged in the USB port and via bluetooth? Is it possible to skip track using a "wireless" connection? Are covers and MP3 infos (artist, track, ecc) still visible with bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Here's my quick take based on all the above posts. Hopefully those who have the equipment can confirm. When I order my X3 I'll be ordering with 6NR and want to make sure I order the correct combination of options and accessories.

It sounds like there are 3 levels of functionality and you must pair the correct snap in adapter with the option you have in your car.

Basic - use your phone, charge and external antenna
Music (6NF) - Adds ability to play music from your iPhone or MP3
Media (6NR) - Adds apps, plugins (not even sure what this gives you), and video playback

It sounds like if you have a basic snap in adapter (which sounds to be the only one available now) you're only going to get basic functionality even if you have 6NF or 6NR. You need the Music or Media adapter to get that level of functionality, respectively. From one of the above posts it says that the Music adapter is coming in March. And the Media adapter hasn't been released (at least not here in the States).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

In testing my iPhone on my X3, I was able to connect the phone using the Apple cable and it played music no problem. The cable only connects the data lines, so I figure this is what 6NF is all about. When I connect the BMW cable I was given, it tells me that the accessory I connected is not compatible with the iPhone. This to me means that the BMW cable contains internally some parts of the 6NF system - probably the DA converter and a bit of control logic. The cable is its own USB device, so it works as an interface from any iPhone into the BMW Audio system. The cradle is probably the same with one more capability (antenna) added. That means that the cables and cradles cannot be updated and are essentially similar to a docking speaker at home: it takes the audio out and controls the iPhone independently.
I wonder if 6NF also has something to do with the capability of reading data off a USB stick and transferring it into the Hard Drive. As this must be done from a different USB port located in the glove box maybe there is no relationship.
How's this for making things muddier?
And by the way congratulations M4st3r_ITA for the purchase, the Italian brochure was the first one out I could read. I still have it in my iPad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
I wonder if 6NF also has something to do with the capability of reading data off a USB stick and transferring it into the Hard Drive. As this must be done from a different USB port located in the glove box maybe there is no relationship.
It isn't because I can do this and have no 6NF. This is standard as part of pro nav because you need it to be able to import music to the HDD.

I think it's purely something that is needed for snap-in adaptors to be able to play music as you and others have suggested. You need 6NF and the music/media snap-in.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
ScottX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

When I put the phone into the snap-in adaptor it disables music via bluetooth. If I every want to use bluetooth for music I must reconfigure it. Since I can't get music to work with the snap-in, I use my white apple USB cable and all is well.

The phone always is connecting via bluetooth even while in the snap-in. If I turn off bluetooth, the car does not find the phone.

I have noticed no difference in signal strength having the phone in the snap in adaptor or in my pocket. (maybe I'm a good antenna)

I validated that part number 84.21-2 158 683-01 is a media adaptor which is what I have. If anyone has the ability to double check this part number I would appreciate it.

Hopefully 6NR will fix this problem for those getting their cars in April.

From a BMW UK PDF in a previous post- relative to 6NR-

The new option starts production March 2011.
− Initially available on E82/E88 LCI models and priced at £130.00 inc
VAT.
− Availability for other models to be confirmed via Product News
bulletins.
− The following optional equipment is also required to enable the
ordering of option 6NR:
− Navigation system – BMW Professional Multimedia (option
609).
− Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics (option 633).
− USB audio interface (option 6FL).
− Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF).
− Note: the iPhone and the snap-in adaptor are not part of option 6NR.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info Scott. What a mess! No wonder the dealers don't know what they're doing with this stuff.

I'll post some feedback in a few weeks when I get my iPhone 4 but I would expect it to be the same as yours, i.e. no music in cradle

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
M4st3r_ITA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
And by the way congratulations M4st3r_ITA for the purchase, the Italian brochure was the first one out I could read. I still have it in my iPad.
but my wait remains sooooo long

I still remain curious to know the bluetooth-music behavior via iDrive
Appreciate 0