BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Sport seats or not...

I just went to the dealer and sat in both an X3 with the Sport seats and one without. Both had Nevada Leather, but while I thought the Sport seats looked way better visually, especially the stitching, they didn't seem as comfortable to me as the regular seats. I'm not saying the Sport seats were uncomfortable, but they just didn't seem as comfortable to me as the regular ones and it made me wonder what the sport seats would be like on a very hot day especially with black leather.

I was all for getting the sport seats, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I just didn't have the seat adjusted to it's best position on the sport seat. Unfortunately, they were completely swamped, end of year sales I guess, so I didn't get to ask anyone about it before I had to leave.

Anyway, it's definately something I'm gonna consider looking into further now. Also I finally saw a 28i in black, looked very nice indeed. Took a few shots and can post them up later, but maybe we got enough black shots up already....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After talking to a friend about it, I think the lumbar support was off for my liking on the sport seats. Since I didn't have the keys, I had no way to adjust the seats properly. I guess I'll actually have to make an appointment next time I go in instead of just showing up. Didn't realize it would be such a mob scene there today.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I thought the sport seats were very comfortable, even more so than on our 3 series sport seats…I fiddled with the controls for less than a minute and I had my perfect driving position I think you are right in going back to investigate it further. I miss the sport seats when I have a loaner w/out them.
      01-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I've test driven X3s with sports seats and comfort seats and preferred the sports seats. I spent a couple of minutes getting them both just right and I'm very particular because I have a slipped disc in my back which can get uncomfortable if left in the wrong position, and I'm 6'3". I've ordered electric seats as the wife will be changing them too

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
Also I finally saw a 28i in black, looked very nice indeed. Took a few shots and can post them up later, but maybe we got enough black shots up already....
The more pics the better, please

I have tried both std and sports seats and went for the sports as they looked much better (always had standard before and will have to wait and see if it was a style over comfort decision)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 535i 2011

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Quote:
I just went to the dealer and sat in both an X3 with the Sport seats and one without. Both had Nevada Leather, but while I thought the Sport seats looked way better visually, especially the stitching, they didn't seem as comfortable to me as the regular seats. I'm not saying the Sport seats were uncomfortable, but they just didn't seem as comfortable to me as the regular ones and it made me wonder what the sport seats would be like on a very hot day especially with black leather.

I was all for getting the sport seats, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I just didn't have the seat adjusted to it's best position on the sport seat. Unfortunately, they were completely swamped, end of year sales I guess, so I didn't get to ask anyone about it before I had to leave.

Anyway, it's definately something I'm gonna consider looking into further now. Also I finally saw a 28i in black, looked very nice indeed. Took a few shots and can post them up later, but maybe we got enough black shots up already....
I am interested in a X3Drive 35i. Sat in one at the showroom with standard seats. They felt comfy and looked nice too Made me wonder if I could live without the tigh support and the side supports.

Cheers!
      01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anybody know... if I decide not to get the sports seats, can I still get the rest of the sports package only with standard seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

Wanted to revisit this thread and see if anyone had any more thoughts. Getting ready to order a 35i for my wife, and I'm torn on the seats. When we both drove them and sat in them, we thought the sport seats were too stiff and tight. She really wants to just get the regular ones, but I want to make sure we don't regret it. We both felt that the side bolsters really dug into our sides even when we had them set as far out as we could. Do they break in after a while or do you just get used to it? It's a sporty car, but not so much that I'd be tearing around corners like a sports car and need that kind of support.

In my 535, I have the comfort seats, and really wish they were an option for the X3. They're big and soft and cushy, not hard and sporty.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Personally, I much prefer the sport seats to the regular ones. I am not a big person at about 160lbs and 5'8".

It's a personal call, as it seems "larger" people do not care for the sport seats.

I would suggest sitting in both types for a while, if possible.
      08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Wanted to revisit this thread and see if anyone had any more thoughts. Getting ready to order a 35i for my wife, and I'm torn on the seats. When we both drove them and sat in them, we thought the sport seats were too stiff and tight. She really wants to just get the regular ones, but I want to make sure we don't regret it. We both felt that the side bolsters really dug into our sides even when we had them set as far out as we could. Do they break in after a while or do you just get used to it? It's a sporty car, but not so much that I'd be tearing around corners like a sports car and need that kind of support.

In my 535, I have the comfort seats, and really wish they were an option for the X3. They're big and soft and cushy, not hard and sporty.
If you can, I would get in them both again and spend more time adjusting them. I can see how they're not for everyone and I took quite a while to find a perfect position (so glad I opted for electric memory seats as my wife drives it too and it would be annoying to have to adjust them each time I used it after her). I like them now and I'm glad I went for sports seats. They look a lot better too IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
...Do they break in after a while or do you just get used to it? It's a sporty car, but not so much that I'd be tearing around corners like a sports car and need that kind of support.

I've driven several well used M3's of various vintages (up to 6 or 7 years old) and haven't noticed any obvious "softness" of the [sport seat] seat bottoms or the side bolsters. Don't think they "break in".

Since you "...have the comfort seats, and really wish they were an option" you've answered your own question. If you prefer the softer comfort seats, and won't be "tearing around corners", why even consider the firmer sport seats?

Personally, I like the sports seats and find them to be much more comfortable then the base seats. It's all a matter of personal preference and also what your frame of reference is. Some people prefer blonds and some like brunettes. "You pays yer money, and you makes yer choice."
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I try never to say never, but I don't think I will ever have another BMW without sport seats (or better). I have had two BMWs with standard leather seats, two with sport seats, and one with multi-contour seats. Each upgrade is preferable over its predecessor.

Where you will really feel the difference is driving - particularly on a longer drive. The sport seats are more comfortable and less fatiguing than the normal seats. The extra high side seat bolsters are nice, and the adjustable side bolsters are VERY nice. I use the thigh support sometimes, and sometimes don't.... but I like having it. On a long drive, the standard seats get much more uncomfortable than the sport seats - I know this from personal experience.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I ordered sports sears (SAP) for my wife's car. If they hadn't been available I would have ordered a Q5 or Evoque.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

I got mine yesterday. IT feels a bit hard at first and the seats seem small. I am 180 so I am not a big person. But we all can get used to it :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I tried both seats back to back. Love the sport seats. The lumbar adjustment is great, extra side support keeps you from sliding on turns and they look better.

I was surprised how much better the car felt with the sports steering wheel. I'd never have thought the steering wheel would have made that much of a difference.

Last edited by Dukat; 08-31-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

Interesting - not a single person who prefers the regular seats.

I'm 6'2" 190lbs and my wife is 5'10" 140(?) so we're tall, but certainly not especially wide.

Maybe we need to go sit in them again. Just couldn't get over the feeling of being pinched in the sides. I do like a thicker steering wheel for sure.

I'm sure we'll always take my F10 on long trips, but I do want something she'll be comfortable in.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I haven't worn a watch in 20 years. When I put one on recently it really bothered me having something on my wrist.

You may just need to get used to seats that hold you on the sides. Once you're used to the support you'll miss it when it's not there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
128Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Coupe

Quote:

I was all for getting the sport seats, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I just didn't have the seat adjusted to it's best position on the sport seat. ....
My wife and I both really like the sports seats in my 2011 128i (also in three previous M cars), especially during a long all day drive - so we ordered the Sports Package on her 2012 X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

i got sport seats and they are Awsome!!! havent used other but dont think sports seats can be beat
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

+1 on Sport Seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #21
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey just to let you all know, I posted this way back... months before I ordered my X3. I had test drove one with sports seats without even adjusting them at all at the time... I was way too excited to just drive.

Since then I got the sports package with the sport seats and love em. So glad I did!! If the seats don't feel right when you test drive, please take the time to ask how to adjust them. I had no idea how to at the time I test drove... but once you take the time to adjust them right, you'll find they are great. I can't say they are for everyone as people have their personal preferences but I can say they work really great for me, are very comfortable , and I'm really glad I got them.

Last edited by Sabian; 09-01-2011 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
loumac
Rep
Drives: Soon: X3

Sports Seats or not/ 35i or 28i

Sabian,

Thanks for following up with your original post. I, too am very confused about adding the sports seats. I did not get to sit in an X3 with them... and did not really like the regular seats. I hate spending the extra $, because I want the nav, Premium P, and Convenience P, really adding up with the 35i... which I could consider getting into the 28i instead, and solve all my problems, but I hear better posts about the 35i. Any thoughts on that?

PS: This is my first bmw purchase. Gonna build it and pick it up in Spartanburg SC
Appreciate 0