BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 xDrive35i M-Sport

Help me identify this

New to me 2015 35i, 69K miles. I'm the second owner and the car is immaculate. However, with the notorious water pump failures, I have been checking on things in preparation for when it's my time. To my knowledge, the pump and/or t-stat have never been changed on the car. I don't know for certain because I purchased the car from a non-BMW dealership and the carfax service records were thin, basically nothing noted past the original warranty services. I decided to check out the coolant tonight and test it since I don't know if it's ever been changed or not. Now, my understanding is that the BMW coolant is blue, but when I used my tester it is a very light green, almost clear with a tinge of green/yellow color. Looks like extremely watered down mountain dew or gatorade. See photos. Any ideas? Should I just keep running with it until the pump goes and then have it flushed and refilled with the blue BMW or flush it now and start over?
Attached Images

02-27-2021, 11:54 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Green coolant was probably used to top off the blue coolant, or after a repair, very common for an all purpose shop to add green universal coolant. Since there are 4 balls floating, you have freeze protection. Who knows when the pump may go, I've seen many N55 with 100k+ miles on the original pump. If it were mine, I'd flush it now since you don't know what they put in it and fill with BMW coolant, it's not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I agree with pungo - I'd flush it. I have my doubts that was even BMW blue topped off with universal green. It does not seem to have retained any blue color at all, yet it's a very weak green so it's not all universal coolant. It almost looks like Xerex, which is the approved Mercedes coolant replacement and has a very light yellow color.
Appreciate 0