BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Burnaby
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 F25 N55

CEL 101F01

Hi all,
I noticed this high frequency hum in the car, then I opened the hood and here it is high pitched whistle under the filter box, probably the throttle body. Next day CEL on the dash - ISTA shows 101F01.
I cannot tell if there is difference in the performance, but most likely not or insignificant for my city driving habit.
Any ideas?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

If I had to take a guess I would say your charge pipe is a bit disconnected? The pipe that connects to your throttle body. If it is the stock charge pipe, it is well known that they break when they are constantly exposed to high boost.

If you have an aftermarket charge pipe then my next guess would be vacuum leaks.

Shot in the dark would be a bad pcv. If I remember correctly, you can test it by slightly removing the engine oil cap while the car is running and if it goes away then it's the pcv. I would check if that's the correct procedure though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Burnaby
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 F25 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
If I had to take a guess I would say your charge pipe is a bit disconnected? The pipe that connects to your throttle body. If it is the stock charge pipe, it is well known that they break when they are constantly exposed to high boost.

If you have an aftermarket charge pipe then my next guess would be vacuum leaks.

Shot in the dark would be a bad pcv. If I remember correctly, you can test it by slightly removing the engine oil cap while the car is running and if it goes away then it's the pcv. I would check if that's the correct procedure though.
This exactly what I suspected. Before I posted here I tested the charge pipe with soapy water all around and found no leaks and the Valve cover (PCV) was replaced. Then last night I found this hole on the vacuum line behind the engine that I fixed.
Cleared the errors and no CEL coming back. Actual problem resolved free of charge however I changed valve cover and I broke the vent hose that cost me and found leaking base of hose connector to the inlet pipe. Those were heavy duty glued with epoxy and the pipe painted after, so no regret for the preventive maintenance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

that vent hose seems to wanna break any chance/every chance its allowed to break

I made my own, using a very inexpensive hose. this is hose is flexible, and more than likely will outlast its $50 oem counter part

Appreciate 0