BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

wierd noises and smells

After startup first thing in the morning you smell oil for a few seconds then goes away. Then driving a slight moan from the engine bay. You can kill the engine then the sound stops and never returns until the car is completely cold again.
Both have me stumped! Advise and help? Replace the valve cover gasket about 4 months ago.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
MichaelBx3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW x3 3.0si

The smell could be coming from the engine compartment through the cabin air filter housing. I have seen several times that the rubber seal between the hood and the engine bay / cabin air cleaner has shrunk over time and needs to be resituated so that it seals. What I did was check every connection where the rubber meets and make sure that all joints are tight. If not you could try some black silicone or peel off the rubber and re stretch it as heat has shrunk it over time. Just look toward the back of the engine and you will see the cabin air section.
Appreciate 0