BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Talking BMW F25 X3 Review

Sorry for just posting this quick review as I am now just getting time to comment on the recent BMW X3 drive event but I just wanted to quickly share with you guys my personal opinion on the new X3. After checking in, I told the marketing guys that I only wanted to drive the xdrive35i, so I had to wait a while for one to return. While waiting, they gave me a Merc GLK350 to drive around a pretty nice course, with curves, dirt roads, and smooth roads. The GLK immediately felt heavy and "tank" like when compared to my E90 335i with numb steering and no feedback. The GLK made a lot of noise to get it to go somewhere and it exhibited massive body roll in the corners. The ride was typical German stiff with a little cabin shutter over large potholes and it felt a little stiff over the rough segment of the course. Fit and finish was top notch, with all the buttons and trim oozing with quality. I also felt that the Merc's Command was a little confusing, but I guess I'm so used to BMW's i-drive . After returning the GLK, my initial impression was, "yeah this is a great soccer mom's car." I parked the GLK and hoped over to the X3 and they difference was felt immediately. I didn't even yet leave the dealer's parking before I could feel the difference. The X3 and the GLK are about the same size overall, but the X3 just felt smaller and more nimble. I only tested the X3 in sports mode so I can't comment on the comfort setting but the N55 in the X3 gets the SAV where it has to go much faster than the GLK and the exhaust note with the windows down sound pretty good as well. In the corners the X3 felt planted and controlled, enabling me to toss the SAV around like a smaller sedan. The steering feel was a little disappointing, with a super computer like artificial feel to it. In sports mode the steering is really tight and accurate but lacks sufficient road feedback. It would be something I could live with in a SAV, and giving the X3s dynamic chassis, I guess it's a fair trade. The ride in sports mode was BMW-like firm but more soft than my sports package E90 gliding over potholes with a little less cabin shutter. The X3 also crawled over the rough pavement segment with as equal ease as the GLK while also being in sports mode! Fit and finish wise, the X3 was good, typical BMW. I just didn't like the cheap rubber door trim that looks like it belongs in a Civic rather than BMW using the more upscale felt like trim. The X3 really impressed me the way it handled and it is definitely the driver's car in its class. If I had a need for a SUV right about now the X3 would be my first choice, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Thanks for the note. Have you ever tried a 5-series? Can you relate that experience to driving the X3 at all? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0