BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Credelius
Rep
Drives: 335d, X3

Transmission oil leak ?

Hi Experts,

I've noticed a small transmission fluid leak near transmission oil pan, but can't figure out what needs to be done to fix it. Please let me know if you've seen it before and where it's coming from. I'm planning transmission fluid change and will need to drop the pan anyway, so it looks like a good opportunity to fix all other related problems as well.

07/18 Update:
I did more research. It looks like I need to replace shift linkage (other names: Transmission Shift Rod, Shift Shaft) seal. However, I'm having difficulties with finding good DIY for that. People in other forums mentioned that they've struggled with getting out an old seal. It would be great if somebody can provide a link to a DIY and tools needed to get it done.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Credelius; 07-18-2016 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Credelius
Rep
Drives: 335d, X3

I've finished transmission oil change and replaced selector shaft seal today. Here are some thoughts and challenges that I think will be useful for the community.

1. That "life time oil" label that you can find on your transmission oil pan is a complete and utmost BS. The drained oil was dirty black, worse than the motor oil when you change it. I could see a lot of metallic paste on the bottom of the pan and on the magnet. Moreover - I could see scratches on the bottom of the pan (see the picture).

2. It was impossible to find the selector shaft seal (part #24501423606). It's still listed at many online stores, but when you try to buy it, you get NLA. Dealer said that they could order from Germany, but it would take 3-4 weeks. I also wanted to replace harness' O-Rings (part #24101423176), but that one is not available anywhere, even in Germany and the dealer didn't know what the replacement could be. I wrote a letter to BMWUSA and they promptly replied to me saying that my feedback is very important for them No explanations though about why the parts are not available or where to get a replacement.

I had to buy a Timken seal 8792S (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It has the same diameter as the original one (see the picture), but the original is two times higher. It also has a metallic ring while the original seems to be plastic.

My mistake was that I've pushed Timken seal too far and as a result it was still leaking.

I had to buy yet another Timken seal, which I've installed on the top of the first one, because it was impossible to remove the first. The leak has stopped after that (see pic - it's neat and dry now).

3. Seal puller tools that you can find everywhere are very much useless due the fact that there is no much space in the transmission tunnel. I've bought a couple of them (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and spent hours trying to make a use of the first one. After that I've tried a simple awl (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the original seal came out in five seconds, however I broke it later when was trying to remove the first Timken seal.

The second seal puller tool is longer than needed and won't work for 5L40 transmission at all, however seal installer from that kit was good for this application and I've used it successfully.

I'm good for the next 50K miles now
Attached Images

Last edited by Credelius; 09-16-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0