BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
M535i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

E83 LCI Advice needed

Hi,

Looking at E83 X3 2009-2010 3.0d. I remember reading the ride was pretty bad on the pre LCIs, was it improved much on the LCIs? I know there was some improvment.

Looking to find out what people think of it and what they have done? I'm thinking some normal non RFT tyres (17 inch alloys), Koni FSDs could help iron out the ride quality? Are there any lift springs I know Hartge do a suspension overhaul but I was looking at something a bit more modest? I have seen Eibach do some lift springs for the latest model. My general playing out with cars is a good tyres, good springs, coupled with good dampers (not under or over dampened) and using shorter softer progressive bump-stops irons out any ride issues. I try to keep the spring rate in the springs and not use the bump stops for handling just to stop the shock from blowing out. BMW were not able to tune the E87 1 series to use bump stops for handling and day to day driving whilst still being acceptably comfortable. I think the E83 ride suffers probably down to using not a progressive enough bump stop to help the soft springs which were put in place for the rock-hard rfts. Once you ditch the rfts you can then unwind the horrible ride and questionable handling they have led on the first generation of RFT BMWs. To make it comfortable and a sports daily drive set-up I use the frequency selective damping on Koni FSDs to curb the roll whilst still being soft on short quick impacts. I'm hoping it will also allow me to stick on some poly bushes to ensure the suspension doesn't wobble about and geometry stays true to ensure on-road handling is further improved.

Thanks
Haider
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #2
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M535i View Post
Hi,

Looking at E83 X3 2009-2010 3.0d. I remember reading the ride was pretty bad on the pre LCIs, was it improved much on the LCIs? I know there was some improvment.

Looking to find out what people think of it and what they have done? I'm thinking some normal non RFT tyres (17 inch alloys), Koni FSDs could help iron out the ride quality? Are there any lift springs I know Hartge do a suspension overhaul but I was looking at something a bit more modest? I have seen Eibach do some lift springs for the latest model. My general playing out with cars is a good tyres, good springs, coupled with good dampers (not under or over dampened) and using shorter softer progressive bump-stops irons out any ride issues. I try to keep the spring rate in the springs and not use the bump stops for handling just to stop the shock from blowing out. BMW were not able to tune the E87 1 series to use bump stops for handling and day to day driving whilst still being acceptably comfortable. I think the E83 ride suffers probably down to using not a progressive enough bump stop to help the soft springs which were put in place for the rock-hard rfts. Once you ditch the rfts you can then unwind the horrible ride and questionable handling they have led on the first generation of RFT BMWs. To make it comfortable and a sports daily drive set-up I use the frequency selective damping on Koni FSDs to curb the roll whilst still being soft on short quick impacts. I'm hoping it will also allow me to stick on some poly bushes to ensure the suspension doesn't wobble about and geometry stays true to ensure on-road handling is further improved.

Thanks
Haider
Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

I actually prefer extremely stiff daily drivers (grew up in a race prepped E30 so everything is relatively comfortable in my opinion now..) so I don't know I'm the best person to talk to, but the short answer is the LCI did have a very slight improvement in ride quality.

That said, the factory suspension still isn't great. I think a fantastic setup would be Koni FSDs with either H&R or Eibach lowering springs along with H&R Swaybars. Combine that with some tires that use the F25 X3 overall diameter for a bit more sidewall and you'd have a fantastic handling and relatively comfortable sporty little SUV.

If staggered, 19s with 245/45 and 275/40 is a nice setup, otherwise a square 275/40 19" setup would be great. I went a bit more hardcore, but that was the direction I wanted to go.
Appreciate 0