BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
roenlev
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3,0D 2005

3.0D engine failure?!

Hello all,
So glad for my 2006 X3 3.0D, but this night my nightmare happened...

Wife driving on freeway. Calling me on the phone, saying the car wont accelerate over 90 kph. "And when i push the pedal down, I can hear a strange rattling sound from the enigne", she says.

I tell her: "PULL OVER NOW". She had been having problems for the last ten minutes(!), she told me. And when she finally stopped the car, she noticed a big cloud of exhaust smoke overtaking the car from behind. (Wind from that direction)

"Oh my god", was my reaction. "Any lights on in the dashboard, honey?".

No, she answered. No lights, and she had looked for it several times. But just as she pulled over and got the car to a standstill, the oillamp (maybe that lamp, she said) turned on. Then she stoppet the engine. Not sounding too good, she said.

The temperature was normal, right in the middle.

It won't start again. When she tried to crank it, it sounded "not good", she said. She only tried once, I told her not to do anything else - and called for road assistance.

But the garage is closed over christmas... So... No I'm asking you guys. Where on the "oh-I'm-so-poor-in-a-short-while-scale" should i put my personal marker?

Worst thought is a new engine. But I'm quite surprised that not a single light in the dashboard has turned on..!?

Please put me in a good christmas mood. What do you think it is? Anything smaller than a new engine..?

Regards - and thanks for any of you judgements...
Lasse
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
roenlev
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3,0D 2005

Turbo...

Hi

Well. It was the turbocharger. Need a new one. Approx 2.000 £ / 4000 $.

Great....
Appreciate 0