BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Rear diff/trans shudder at low speed turns?

Hi
Did some searches on the forum and for tsb's but no luck.

The gf has a 2008 X3 3.0 M-Sport with approx 80k miles. She puts fuel in and drives until lights come on, you know the type.

For quite a while now the car has exhibited an uncomfortable shudder/jerking together with a dry shaft jolt sound when lifting off the gas and turning at low speed, like when pulling around a parking garage.

My sense tells me, let's try a fluid change in the diff, it's done 80k miles...

Last visit to the dealer, they told her the tires were worn and that's what's causing noise. Umm, no, no new tires thanks.
They must have updated software because the car shifted so much better after that visit, fluid shifts and would coast downhill rather than grabbing a lower gear too soon like it had been doing.

It's back a the same dealer now and this time they're telling her it needs a software update for that noise and that it isn't covered under warranty (it's still under the extended warranty for a couple more months). I am not allowed to talk to them, because my talking tends to get loud.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
puchchu
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 Si 3.0

Hi!

I had a similar noise problems from rear diff on my 2007 X3 si car at lower speeds. The dealer changed differential and transmission both under warranty but the problem never got solved completely.... He finally put it on tires (my tires were not BMW * rated). This issue is very well documented in this and other forum and I finally changed to * rated tires and it's a different car from that day.... the problem is completely gone... And let me tell you my earlier tires were very new (came along with my purchase) and the tire dealer was wondering why I was changing it!!!

BMW X3 diff is very sensitive to tire dimensions and all and I suggest use the * rated tires and you will have no issues....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Tonybear1986
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 3.0 d msport

I had exactly the same problem when i bought my x3 and it turned out the back tyres was a different size to the front
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
tr03cobra
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
Hi
Did some searches on the forum and for tsb's but no luck.

The gf has a 2008 X3 3.0 M-Sport with approx 80k miles. She puts fuel in and drives until lights come on, you know the type.

For quite a while now the car has exhibited an uncomfortable shudder/jerking together with a dry shaft jolt sound when lifting off the gas and turning at low speed, like when pulling around a parking garage.

My sense tells me, let's try a fluid change in the diff, it's done 80k miles...

Last visit to the dealer, they told her the tires were worn and that's what's causing noise. Umm, no, no new tires thanks.
They must have updated software because the car shifted so much better after that visit, fluid shifts and would coast downhill rather than grabbing a lower gear too soon like it had been doing.

It's back a the same dealer now and this time they're telling her it needs a software update for that noise and that it isn't covered under warranty (it's still under the extended warranty for a couple more months). I am not allowed to talk to them, because my talking tends to get loud.

Thoughts?

Im having the same problem on 06 x3, i don't have on bmw approved tires. They are khumo ecsta. I goin to buy the oem approved tires and see if it fix the problem. Did you get it resolved yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
BigChiefMN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3 E83

Did you guys ever fix this problem with tire changes? I have same issue with 2010 X3 with 80k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
relaxinrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW x3

Shudder when turning fixed!!

I just fixed this issue in my 2008 X3. I added a tube of Lubeguard Instant Shudder Fixx to my transfer case. Then I took it to a grassy field and did tight figure eights with it 10 times. Then I drove it up onto the pavement and did another figure eight and the problem is GONE!!

Hope this helps some of you!! Cheers....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxinrob View Post
I just fixed this issue in my 2008 X3. I added a tube of Lubeguard Instant Shudder Fixx to my transfer case. Then I took it to a grassy field and did tight figure eights with it 10 times. Then I drove it up onto the pavement and did another figure eight and the problem is GONE!!

Hope this helps some of you!! Cheers....
Did you add a whole tube (2oz) or half? It recommends 1oz per quart of fluid. My 2006 BMW X3 was shuddering so bad (slippage) at low speed, but after I changed the transfer case fluid, shuddering reduced by 80%, but I still can feel it at slow accelerating from a stop. I think the friction disks are wearing out. Adding the friction modifier like LubeGuard would help.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #8
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybear1986 View Post
I had exactly the same problem when i bought my x3 and it turned out the back tyres was a different size to the front
M sports X3 has different size tires. The rear tires are bigger and wider.
Appreciate 0