BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

MagneRide vs VDC

I have searched the forum and google and I am none the wiser of how the BMW's VDC compares to MagneRide Dynamic Suspension on the RR Evoque.

In the forums we seem to flit between VDC and DHP, but as I understand they are two different options.

I know VDC allows you to change the suspension between Normal and Sport, but how does it actually compare to MagneRide suspension in terms of functionality and behaviour?
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

This is the best I could find.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...damper_control

I think the magnaride uses electricity to change the viscosity of the fluid and it looks like the bmw system just adjusts the valving.

Last edited by lbjgh; 04-01-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

/me nods

You think there would be more about it ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

A little more diligence...

Would have gotten you here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html

And here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...trol.html#more

And here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...r_control.html

Last edited by Le Chef; 04-01-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I have searched the forum and google and I am none the wiser of how the BMW's VDC compares to MagneRide Dynamic Suspension on the RR Evoque.

In the forums we seem to flit between VDC and DHP, but as I understand they are two different options.

I know VDC allows you to change the suspension between Normal and Sport, but how does it actually compare to MagneRide suspension in terms of functionality and behaviour?
The Dynamic Damper control part of the VDC is essentially the same technology as MagneRide. On the x3, if you have dynamic dampers then you can change the steering, the transmission shift points, throttle response and the stiffness of the shocks. In I-drive you can opt to modify the chassis (steering, shift points and throttle) and/or the suspension if you have the dynamic dampers. I don't know if the Evoque offers the same bundling of electronic features.

In the US, I know the Evoque is priced like the x3 35i, sized closer to the x1 and is a slow dog compared to the 35i.

The 2013 x3 28i with the 4 cylinder twin turbo will be a better match performance wise (although still faster and better handling than the Evoque) and a better deal. Just my unbiased report.

Last edited by torzeck; 04-02-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The Evoque uses adjustable magnetorheological dampers. The X3 uses adjustable gas pressure shock absorbers.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 04-02-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I think that is the info horsey was looking for.

I suspect the magneride technology would act quicker than the gas pressurized.

Didn't GM develop the technology?

Other cars with the magneride:

Buick Lucerne
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Camaro
Cadillac CTS-V
Cadillac Seville STS
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
Audi TT
Audi R8
Acura MDX
Acura ZDX
Range Rover Evoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
The Evoque uses an adjustable magnetorheological suspension. The X3 uses adjustable gas pressure shock absorbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
The Evoque uses adjustable magnetorheological dampers. The X3 uses adjustable gas pressure shock absorbers.
Yep, my bad, I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I think that is the info horsey was looking for.
Yes, that’s more in the direction I was expecting … but I was hoping we might develop it into a more technical discussion on the relative merits of each and what that actual capabilities of the X3 with VDC are compared to the Evoque’s MagneRide.

The BMW material appears rather superficial … I can’t help thinking that it’s really just providing an option of Normal or Sport … unlike the MagneRide which would appear much more dynamic and adaptive …

Yes, BMW uses the word “adaptive”, but it doesn’t seem to have any credibility outside of its ability to be controlled by a switch.

That said, from one of their articles ...

"Sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension. Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum"

But its still a bit wooly.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
a more technical discussion on the relative merits of each and what that actual capabilities of the X3 with VDC are compared to the Evoque’s MagneRide.
I've never seen bmw publish details of the system such that anyone really knows with absolute detail what is going on in there.

Presumably this is bmw's way of producing a similar system without paying any royalty or licensing costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Lightbulb System on the x3 is from ZF

Their product description:

The technology

For passenger cars from the lower mid-sized to sports car segments, a CDC® system is used that has one CDC® damper on each wheel point. Data from sensors and other vehicle systems such as ABS are processed the ECU, and the results are transferred to the CDC® dampers. The result: A marked increase in driving safety and comfort. New in the CDC4: The body acceleration sensors are no longer needed. The ECU takes over their tasks without any restriction in system performance.

Optimum comfort, superior safety: This graph of characteristic curves shows the range in which CDC® can continuously vary damping forces in compression and rebound.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Ya, that is marketing babel-speak.

There is plenty of information on the MagneRide technology.

I suspect if BMW uses a simpler technology there isn't much point in BMW going into details especially if the technology is "more basic" than "premium" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrooom View Post
Their product description:

The technology

For passenger cars from the lower mid-sized to sports car segments, a CDC® system is used that has one CDC® damper on each wheel point. Data from sensors and other vehicle systems such as ABS are processed the ECU, and the results are transferred to the CDC® dampers. The result: A marked increase in driving safety and comfort. New in the CDC4: The body acceleration sensors are no longer needed. The ECU takes over their tasks without any restriction in system performance.

Optimum comfort, superior safety: This graph of characteristic curves shows the range in which CDC® can continuously vary damping forces in compression and rebound.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

I was of the impression that magneride is supposed to (in theory) last longer than more conventional mechanical damping controls because there are less moving parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Still finding my info more or less only in "commercial" messages from BMW, I read that the four dampers have independent pressure control, that based on the feedback of several sensors in the car can harden or soften the damper response independently for the four wheels. Now I imagine that it must be some sort of oil pressure/quantity control with pumps that decide the quantity/pressure of the oil present in the damper to modify its reaction. The magneride instead should be working on changing the oil viscosity based on its magnetic properties.

I'm not technical enough to understand the pro's and con's of each solution. If anyone has any advice it could be very interesting!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
I'm not technical enough to understand the pro's and con's of each solution. If anyone has any advice it could be very interesting!
Sometimes similar results can be had with different methodology.

From the sound of it, BMW's system changes the amount of oil that can flow through/around the valve and shim stacks in the damper - thus it effectively mimics changing the viscosity of the fluid.
Appreciate 0