BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Climate comfort wind screen and GPS signal?

I was wondering if the clima comfort windshield which helps car not to heat up during sunshine, affects GPS signal as well?

I have TomTom Via 125 on my dashboard and it freaks out, drops satellite signals and lags when in X3. Previously it was on Skoda's dashboard with no problems.

Or are there solar winds affecting these things at the moment? Or something...?

This is happening in Finland.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
I was wondering if the clima comfort windshield which helps car not to heat up during sunshine, affects GPS signal as well?

I have TomTom Via 125 on my dashboard and it freaks out, drops satellite signals and lags when in X3. Previously it was on Skoda's dashboard with no problems.

Or are there solar winds affecting these things at the moment? Or something...?

This is happening in Finland.
It's probably due to the colored glass on the windshield. It's the same reason I won't get signal to my Q Free reciever in the dash when passing automatic toll booths.

But that's the idea... Reflect rays. Sadly it doesn't tell the difference between good and bad rays
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
It's probably due to the colored glass on the windshield. It's the same reason I won't get signal to my Q Free reciever in the dash when passing automatic toll booths.

But that's the idea... Reflect rays. Sadly it doesn't tell the difference between good and bad rays
Damn, now I have to find solution to get GPS working. Maybe I have to attach it to side window.

I thought that it is easy to block UV radiation and let radio signals come through so I didn't even think that it would affect GPS

Already two let downs and I got it yesterday: GPS signal gets blocked and I don't have bluetooth to radio (I thought it is default).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

There is a shadowed area around the rearview mirror to place electronic devices. Have you tried to put the GPS overthere? It may not be very practical, but maybe it would work.
Appreciate 0