BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
cwilkie
Rep
Drives: X3

Power Folding Mirror Question

Hi all,

My new x3 is due for delivery in week 50

After a long 6 month wait, can't wait to pick it up. I went for the 2.0d fully loaded (no point with anything faster living in Switzerland!).

Checking on the options, it looks like I wrongly assumed the power folding mirrors were included in the comfort package. I have the interior mirror dimming only feature.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have this feature retro-fitted? I have word that the car has already been completed, so unfortunately missed the cut-off for changing the option.

It is not a big deal, and I have never really needed this feature before. I do however think it would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Sounds like it's really a question for your local dealership.

However, the power drive unit is available as a internal replacement part (US$ 163 each in the US). It could probably be installed in each mirror but would be costly since it would require complete disassembly of each existing mirror and then completer reassembly. (lots of labor charges).

Alternately, you could order complete mirror assemblies with new housings, internal parts and glass. (probably over 250 euros each). Either method would require reprogramming of the main controller and iDrive to recognize the new LIN bus component. Complete new mirror assemblies come with primed housing covers only, which means they would have to be painted.

With the cost of painting, removal, replacement, and reprogramming you're probably into something like 1000 Euros total cost, if your dealer is willing to take it on.

Just a very rough estimate to prepare you for the dealer's response.

Adding "simple" options after delivery is always much more costly than [doing it] before the car is completed.

Remember, the standard mirrors do fold manually for when you're parked on a narrow street or in a small garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
cwilkie
Rep

Wow, thank you very much for the detailed reply!! Really appreciate it.

It certainly sounds like a lot of money for the small benefit it would bring. I have never required to fold in the mirrors so far on my 3 series touring, and guess I may not need to on the new X3 either. Just slightly annoying as it is something I thought I had included...sure if I didn't think about it wouldn't have even noticed it was missing!

At least I know it would be possible to do, if I really couldn't live without it

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I still don't get why bmw makes this an option, even a basic Toyota corolla has folding mirrors standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
I still don't get why bmw makes this an option, even a basic Toyota corolla has folding mirrors standard.
Making more money, what else
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Be aware - the really annoying feature about the powered side mirrors is that they do not fold in when you normally lock your car. You have to hold in on the lock botton (on your fob) for 2-3 seconds to make them fold in (along with windows and sunroof closing). Looking forward - hopefully - for a software update to give you the option of them folding in when you normally lock the car.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Be aware - the really annoying feature about the powered side mirrors is that they do not fold in when you normally lock your car. You have to hold in on the lock botton (on your fob) for 2-3 seconds to make them fold in (along with windows and sunroof closing). Looking forward - hopefully - for a software update to give you the option of them folding in when you normally lock the car.

Tony
I have the power folding mirrors and I am happy they do NOT automatically fold in when you lock the car. I fold them in when I want to, not every time I leave the car. If they did fold in everytime, that, to me, would be a really annoying feature.
      11-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Quote:
I don't think a Corolla comes with POWER folding mirrors
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I have the power folding mirrors and I am happy they do NOT automatically fold in when you lock the car. I fold them in when I want to, not every time I leave the car. If they did fold in everytime, that, to me, would be a really annoying feature.
Some other brand(s) give you a choice whether to automatically fold-in the mirror upon locking or not.
I think this is just a matter of software, they can just add "Fold-in side mirrors upon locking" under Lock menu on iDrive, and people can choose to turn on/off that feature as their wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
It does in here, maybe it's a matter of different option on different market. Power folding mirrors wasn't included on older BMWs (ie my aunt's E46 don't have them), but I'm sure many newer models have them as standard.
It is a rather necessity to have power folding mirrors here I guess, as we are often faced with narrow streets and parking spaces.
When I lived in Canada several years back, I don't remember ever needed to fold in my side mirrors at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Highly market dependent and not at all limited to "luxury" cars.
      11-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
Although I'm not a Corolla fan, I believe all NA 2011 Corolla's come with heated power adjustable mirrors not power FOLDING mirrors, just like all base-level BWM X3s. Power FOLDING mirrors are not a Corolla option in North America. However, they do come with chrome exhaust tips.

Both JDM and Altis sell aftermarket power folding mirrors for Toyotas. Don't think they'd have much business if PFMs came as standard equipment.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-18-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Specs for Asia and Europe should show many "small" cars that at least have them available in a package -- a huge benefit in a city like Tokyo where folding your mirrors is a daily necessity for many car owners. I had a Nissan Sentra equivalent (a Bluebird) that came with power folding mirrors 12 years ago.
      11-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Interesting. I didn't consider other markets. Only see luxury cars or full size pickups/suv's with them in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilkie View Post
Hi all,

My new x3 is due for delivery in week 50

After a long 6 month wait, can't wait to pick it up. I went for the 2.0d fully loaded (no point with anything faster living in Switzerland!).

Checking on the options, it looks like I wrongly assumed the power folding mirrors were included in the comfort package. I have the interior mirror dimming only feature.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have this feature retro-fitted? I have word that the car has already been completed, so unfortunately missed the cut-off for changing the option.

It is not a big deal, and I have never really needed this feature before. I do however think it would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Same happened to me.

BMW dealer told me retrofit can' be done.

Next spring I'll ask my own "private expert". He did magic on my previous Audis. But it's true - folded doesn't fold very far.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I think the biggest bummer if u don't closely pay attention to option list u can easily forget to tick this option
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Should be standard. Would not be happy if my X3 didn't do something so basic

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #17
cwilkie
Rep

Yes, it is frustrating especially as I have added pretty much every extra aside from this. Glad to see I am not the only one though! With the sheer number of options available it is easy to miss something....

I have mailed the dealer, stating that I really wish to have this feature, and asked again if it can it be fitted before I take delivery. The answer will probably be no, but it is worth a shot. Thankfully I lease my car in Switzerland, so in the worst case it will be returned at the end of the lease. But this car was intended to be used long term.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
agreed with you!!!

when I asked about the folding window, all the sales person said was "sorry, don't have" and didn't even tell me that it was an option. well I found it out, it was too late!!! bad service i would say!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I noticed that only driver side mirror folds fully whereas the other side mirror folds slightly when pressing the folding button. Is it correct or I need to check any setting or consult service dept?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
I noticed that only driver side mirror folds fully whereas the other side mirror folds slightly when pressing the folding button. Is it correct or I need to check any setting or consult service dept?
My mirrors fold equally for both driver's and passenger's side, maybe you should have that checked.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Both mirrors should fold equally (about 35 degrees). The mirror may be defective, but more likely it may just need to be reset via dealer programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
...f they did fold in everytime, that, to me, would be a really annoying feature.

+1

it would suck to have them folded and encased in ice during the winter.

They probably could be coded to fold in upon locking though.
Appreciate 0